Why was Maybach such a bust | FerrariChat

Why was Maybach such a bust

Discussion in 'Other German' started by proof69, Oct 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Even from the time they Introduced the car there was not much love for it. I always thought with Mercedes being behind it that it would be successful. I saw one recently sell at a Barrett Jackson auction for 97k. They said the car had a M.S.R.P of 350k.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    In my opinion: they looked just like a long wheelbase Mercedes. Granted that they were very nice inside, but at a certain point one expects a bit of flash for over 300K.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Like the VW Phaeton... looked like a stretched Passat.

4. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    umm..obvious? because it was an dramatically overpriced Mercedes that didn't have any real brand or feature differentiation... How'd you like to pull up in a 500K Maybach and everyone think it's a 100K Mercedes? Including your passengers?! As far as I could tell it was a Mercedes with curtains on the window.. big deal...

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    All this and fugly too.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Almost like badge engineering - see how that's worked for most companies.

7. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    A Korean designed long wheelbase Mercedes...

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My thought as well. I always thought the hallowed Maybach legacy deserved more but in the real world of chassis sharing it was not feasible which I understand. If I remember correctly the resurrected Maybach pushed $400K? and in my opinion did not do justice of a once great name. Just my opinion of course.

9. D-F

D-F Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    To me it seems the mistake was to aim for the Rolls Royce market segment, a segment that has dwindled to historic lows. Who the h want a Rolls?

To me the real Maybach is MTU Friedrichshafen, which is now owned by Rolls Royce powersystems iirc.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Came to market at the end of production of the W220 S-Class (introduced in 1998) but based on previous gen S-Class W140 that was introduced in 1990.
    Based on 2 times older tech then the contemporary S-Class, Maybach was doomed from the start.

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Not at all, Rolls is doing quite well. At least, that is what I've heard. Certainly sales are rising year by year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Motor_Cars

But they offer something different. If you want to compete with Rolls you have to offer a Rolls, but with a difference. And it's a small market. On the other hand, margins are quite reasonable. So if you can - as a parent company - pay for R&D you can make it succesful. But you have to produce something that makes people who are after such a car feel special. The Maybach did not make anyone feel special.

Onno

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I would love to have a RR simply because of their historic value and there is no substitute for true craftsmanship. Some vehicles mean more to a car person than it's resale value. You may be correct in that they were aiming to impact the RR and Bentley market but instead of building the car as it's own entity and basing it on a Mercedes chassis the marque was dead from the get go. As a funny side note just imagine all the rappers/ballers who purchased the first model for $600K and the new model can be had with all the upgrades for $200K. I digress.

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Maybach=Driving yourself around in your own limousine.

The only way I could have a Maybach or a Rolls would be if I had a driver but "having a driver" is the lamest thing one can do in life. If I did "have to have" a driver, I'd do it in a blacked out A8 or Caddie SUV so nobody would know.

My buddy just bought a long wheelbase RR. I tell him "you're driving yourself around in your own limo". He brags about how awesome the back seat is. Makes no sense.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This. Plus it was ugly, and the rolls Royce that came out at the same time was a truly bespoke car and that looked rather appealing. The Maybach looks like they actually made an effort to make it as ugly as possible.

Once the Phantom came...it was completely game over for Maybach. They never stood a chance.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  16. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    The only place I've ever seen a Maybach on the streets was Moscow in the mid-2000's. The Russian 'mini-garchs' (as opposed to oligarchs) seemed to favor them. I remember one smartly dressed guy who appeared to be from Central Russia who had one, together with driver and accompanying security detail who followed in an SUV with multiple antennae. He always walked briskly to the car whenever he appeared.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The last one I saw was parked in front of the Waldorf Astoria Towers last summer.

It was a bit dusty and very unassuming, which could be rather valuable to an owner.

Matt

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    There was one on display at Pebble. They gave you free champaign to look at the car. Sat inside. Found out the car was running. The engine was so quiet and vibration free nobody could tell.

I have seen a couple in Aspen years ago. They never caught on. Dont know who would buy a Maybach. Bentleys can be had in AWD and make more sense here.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I would assume the Maybach could be had in 4-Matic mode?

20. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What part was based on the 140? It was all 220 with 'extras'. They should have waited and based it on the 221, a much, much better vehicle.

Erik

21. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    2012 Maybach 62 For Sale $599,999 - 1295735

Maybach 62. $600,000. Three years old and looks incredibly dated.

Why would anyone buy this over a brand new Rolls Royce?

Furthermore, you could buy a brand new Mercedes Maybach S600 and have $400k left over!

22. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There was a local businessman who had one for a daily driver from 2008 to 2013 or so even through the winter. He ran for Mayor of Cleveland and the Democrat party absolutely hammered him about being out of touch with the constituents. Had some good ideas and obviously knew how to run a business but the car, and being a Republican in Cleveland, killed his chances.

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    my banker had a couple of them to replace the RR they had...it was great to be picked up in one at the airport... not so much to be chauffeured to a restaurant and around town later... image with chauffeur and security is reassuring but being stealth, emerging from a cab is preferred on most occasions... while riding in back really couldn't tell difference from any other high end limo...

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Only real car nuts knew what a Maybach was.
    Everyone knows what a Rolls is.

Just like watches Patek vs Rolex.

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sum's it up.