Need Car Space....What to do?? | FerrariChat

Need Car Space....What to do??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by plastique999, Oct 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I need to know what you fellow car addicts do who run out of space at home from multiple cars....I have a 3 1/2 car garage. 3 cars in a normal garage. The 4th 1/2 space is a single "storage" garage that will fit a golf cart or a Lotus. I have researched expanding this 4th garage, but it would be a long haul for a short slide. City would allow only expansion to the side to add one more car and my electrical panel and gas are on the side of that wall. I could expand rear-wise to fit a normal car...
    I have 2 SUV's, 4 cars and another car coming. The SUV's are in my driveway, which is ok.
    I figure my options are:

1. Expand rear wise to have a true "4th" garage, but adds no additional car space. 2. Expand 4th to the side for one more 5th space, but will be $$$$$.
    3. Put lifts in my 3 car garage. Though I fear the "lifted" cars would be neglected nor driven.
    4. Rent a storage unit/warehouse. But would I trust a place with an exotic?
    5. Buy a plane and a hangar!!
    6. Sell off all my cars or start a rental car company.

Sent from my 16M

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    You have no exotic car storage places within a reasonable distance? A post in your regional forum may reveal more options than you think exist.

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I went through this 2 years ago... Ended up going from 3.5 car garage to an 8. The process involved moving and building a new house ;).

I found that if a car didn't have an easy way to get it out of the garage, it never got driven. Even moving 1 car out of the way was a huge pain...

If I had it to do over, in hindsight, I would just own less cars...

What I am finding out is that as you collect more cars, even if they are easily accessible, you don't drive them. It becomes a chore (never thought I would say that)... Its a pain to maintain, insure, fix, etc...

Buy 1 car you really love, and drive it often...

Bo

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have 6 cars and a 3 car garage. The track car is in a storage unit all year, I get it out when needed and it sits in my driveway for a few days before and after each event. During the summer, my 3 "special" cars are in my garage and the 2 daily drivers sit in the driveway. During the winter, 2 of the "special" cars join the track car in off-site storage. one stays in the garage, and the 2 daily drivers get to be in the garage.

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Why do you think barns were invented?

:^)

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #6 boxerman, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    I have two houses with two cara garages, and two off site storage spaces.
    One house has a 4 post lift so I can keep 3 cars there except winter when the ski boat uses one space.

The other house has my wifes daily and one fun car, with my daily parked outside. We have an underground space 2 miles away, and the Gt40 lives at a race shop.

It kinda all works because most of the fun road cars can live at one location when in use, but if say the BBi ends up at weekday house I have to have left a daily at the other hose so I cans swap back later.

As others have said taking care of 6 cars can become a pain, but if you plan well and love machines its ok. My wife takes care of her merc, and my chevy dealer is easy and great so those two are painless. The other 4, I either do oil changes at home as needed or since one car is always at at the nearby race shop, I just leave the one needing fettling there. There are also two mtorcycles I do myself, and 1 ski boat also taken care of at home.

Yes if a car is on a lift its not just key and go. But I like machines, so operating the lift is own fun liek your won crane, and being able to see and take care of the uderside of the car is a big big plus(ok I have mechanical OCD). Yes maybe on rare occasions I dont use the 1 car I would prefer because its on the lift, but then taking car off the lift after 3-8 weeks is like unwarpping a new gift all over again. Lately the weather is cool and ideal for the BBI, since i spent a lot of time in the lotus on road in spring and on track this summer I am happy to give it a break and drive the bBi more now that the weather is so ideal for it, so guess which one is on top.

The good part is I dont get car headache. As in there is always a car to drive to suit a mood and conditions, so its mostly always fun driving or relaxing driving, kinda like having shoes for all ocasions. Cleaning is the same, I do my own for the 4 fun cars, but whether you drive one car a lot or 4 more sparingly the cleaning is more or less the same. Well after the track cleaning is a pain, but if cars are your hobby its all part of the deal and cathartic in way..

Yep a barn would be nice, then i could get a few more bikes and a morgan and a bently and ...so limited space keeps the addiction in line.

Get two 4 post lifts which gives you space for two more cars, see how you liek haing that many cars at once..

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I keep my cars in a secure location. I have put up to 16 cars in this storage area.

If you find a good location you may find your insurance company may want to inspect the area for security.

My area has 24/7 armed security. Most of the time they are off duty policeman who get free housing to provide security. They have to buss you in.

The insurance company also made me put in a automatic phone in alarm system with loop video cameras.

I have not had a problem but neither has any other person without all of that stuff

Best

Lee

8. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If you've got the headroom for a lift, that's the best option short of selling the cars. For a few thousand dollars you double the capacity of a space _and_ acquire a handy service tool while you're at it.

I'd get a storage lift even if only to reclaim workspace for other projects.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I could "store" one for you?

Someone had to ask.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    get the lifts - makes a 3 car go to a 6 car for the least amount of money

getting cars off lifts is a pain, but still better than driving to some off site storage to swap out cars

I just built a new free standing garage on my sedona house -- 2 car front, but big enough door to fit a sportsmobile 4x4 and double deep to accommodate 4 cars parked straight in (up to 8 with lifts) its a nice garage, but it was over 100k --- just get some lifts

11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have to agree that lifts seem to be the best option for your situation. I had lifts in the garage of our previous home (made a 3 car garage into 6). The cars on the bottom did tend to get drivien more than the cars on the top. Changing the cars out was a bit of a chore, especially if you were doing it last minute. We now live on a small farm that came with nice barn. Renovated the barn. Could fit a bunch of cars in there now with easy access. Have thined the heard to 3.

12. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Where I come from 'barns' allow critters as big as raccoons to have easy access, and of course mice. Are we talking the same kind of building?

13. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Kind of, but it was heavily renovated and is essentally a big den that I can drive cars into.

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Looks like I will be adding one lift in the main 3 car garage and I will expand my 4th garage forward.
    I'll take pics of the progression

Sent from my 16M

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. Even having 3 cars felt like a chore.

Building an 8-car garage in southern California is an extremely expensive use of land.

I did the offsite thing and found it to be inconvenient. Very secure, but because of that I had to make arrangements in advance and the access wasn't as flexible as advertised.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Unless you can get to the rear, you'll have the same problem when installing lifts: having to move cars about before getting to the one you want.

Would go for the 5th space straight away.

Unless you have an exit at the rear when adding a garage, you would have the same problem, no? My solution would be to put the cars on rotate; for 2 weeks of the month drive the cars on the bottom, then swap them round and next 2 weeks only drive the others.

If you think you won't drive the ''lifted'' cars, imagine having to drive X miles to get to the place to get a car! For me the love would die quickly.

See answer to 4. Except it will almost certainly be even further drive away :eek:.

-------

I'd go with either lifts or the expansion to the side.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    find a buddy and rent some warehouse space....

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #18 henryr, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    You have a few options. You can expand. You can go lifts. Another, I'm also into boats, here most houses don't have room for a boat. I know people who have bought small storage units. They call them storage condo's. You own the unit. They are all over the place now. Its like owning a plane hangar.

Here is an example: West Lynden Storage Condos | RV, Boats & General Storage Units

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As an update, here are a few photos of the space and what I have decided to do thus far....added a lift in the main garage., as well as new garage doors with track railings closest to the ceiling along with side mount motors. I am expanding the small storage garage forward a few feet. I may add a lift later to the small single garage, although the ceiling is only 9'5" whereas the main garage is 10'5".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my 16M

21. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Good solution. I was watching the HGTV show House Hunters. The couple had a $3million budget and they wanted in the Pacific Palisades area. The husband owned 8 cars and wanted space for the cars. Non of the houses had the space. He ended up cutting down on cars to five. One was a Carrera GT.

I watch a few real estate markets. Very few, even multi million dollar homes, have garage space, maybe 4 car garage, most are 2. The only market with homes with space are in around Phoenix. There most have multi car garages with RV space.

22. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've run into this as well. Even insisting on a 3-car garage limits your choices out here in southern CA. I'm currently looking in Orange County, and may just buy the right house with a 2-car garage and then maybe RV parking as well with the idea of adding a second, detached garage farther back on the property for the cars we don't drive daily.

Including the slab, I'm estimating it's around $30K or so to do this. Maybe more if the driveway needs to be extended back.

23. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Lots of homes with RV parking in Yorba Linda.

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There are. I made an offer on one last month but... no cigar. Still looking.

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

You're right, pretty rare to have a home built already with 4 car garages. Most seem to be 3 at best.
    I was just disappointed that my "4th" garage was built only to fit a Lotus.
    Well so the build continues....framing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my 16M