2012 MCLAREN 12C vs MB SLS AMG | FerrariChat

2012 MCLAREN 12C vs MB SLS AMG

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by traimpz348, Oct 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I know they are two different cars. I will drive both, but want to buy one or the other. I have a 360, which I will keep. My guess is the SLS is a better compliment, but the 12C is so much newer it has to make the 360 feel old.

I like the 360, which is why I'll keep it. I did think about trading it in for a 458, but I think I prefer the variety. Not that resell is a huge factor, but I don't think I lose on the SLS. Maybe do on the 12C, definitely will on a 458. 360 is pretty much fully depreciated.

Any thoughts?

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    You MUST drive the 12C to appreciate it. Please report back.

Joe

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    12C is almost too good - the power is staggering, it's very daily drivable, and I doubt it depreciates abnormally from now - they've been holding in the 150-160K range for a year or so now and when you look at the price for a comparable vehicle the 12C is the best value out there, so I don't think there is a lot of downward pressure. I think the SLS is very cool, too, but IMO more of a GT than sports car and I wonder if the new AMG offering will cause it to drop in value.

Obviously drive both and then decide.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ton of choices in the $150k range good luck on picking

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    MB won't do gullwing doors again anytime soon - or so I've read - which makes the SLS a special car for the long term. It's such a cool car and most people probably just think "meh, another Mercedes, big deal" which is nice if you want to fly below the radar.

The 12C got such a massively bad rap the first couple years but has rebounded somewhat in the court of public opinion. Despite the great things being said about the 650S, I prefer the looks of the 12C. If you go this route, get a Spider - there is no performance or handling penalty thanks to the carbon tub.

Your biggest determining factor could be how far away from a McLaren dealer you live.

6. Apexsniper

Apexsniper Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I say if your wallet can withstand a potential tranny replacement (sealed unit), I'ld go for the McLaren hands down.

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    12C hands down. I alway wanted one, but put off getting one due the press and some onwners calling the car boring. Finally took the plunge and am so glad I did. Exotic looks, nice ride, phenomenal handling, and amazing engine and performance. Build quality is good and looks like the cars are holding up well. Seems like folks are catching on to these and demand is up a bit. The 12C is a very different car from the 360.

Drive both and decide.

8. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #8 jvmax, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    picked up a sls amg last month after seeing prices going up and cars selling very fast on the market. Very happy with it. The sound, power, fit and finish as well as "those doors" makes it very unique. Something like 2,000 coupes built for NA so they are rare, plus its a modern rendition to the 50's gullwing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Amazing. Are there any high-line sports cars not rapidly appreciating these days?

10. Rbcj50cal

Rbcj50cal Rookie

Nov 6, 2015
    How do you like your SLS. I've had mine now for about a year and a half. I am still amazed at the car. I attend quite a few car get togethers here in SoCal and the car gets plenty of attention. And the "Doors" and exhaust are intoxicating. Congrats on your new purchase and yes prices are going up!

11. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #11 traimpz348, Nov 7, 2015
  12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Congrats, it's perfect - exactly the spec I'd want.

Call in sick, fly to Chicago and drive her home!!!

13. Rbcj50cal

Rbcj50cal Rookie

Nov 6, 2015
    #13 Rbcj50cal, Nov 7, 2015
  14. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    #14 Newport, Nov 7, 2015
  15. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    #15 JOEA2, Nov 8, 2015
  16. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    CROSS POST.... this may help, I just posted this on the other SLS thread:

I took the 458 Speciale and the SLS GT on sport runs this weekend, the summary:

SLS GT:
    + build quality
    + the doors
    + interior is vault-like and very comfortable
    + exterior - homage to the past, will likely age well; beautiful in a unique way
    + engine - strong, linear, predictable, feels unburstable
    + sound - German big bruiser V8
    For me, probably unmatched on a long distance drive, or as a dd

458 Speciale:
    + an object of desire
    + interior - entry always brings a sense of occasion
    + exterior - just simply a beautiful car
    + engine - at lower revs, the huge torque deficiency vs the SLS is very obvious, but once she sings..
    + sound - Italian screamer
    For me, unmatched as a white knuckle, high intensity driver

17. Rbcj50cal

Rbcj50cal Rookie

Nov 6, 2015
    Nice recap and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love my SLS but very much desire the 458 Speciale. Two very different cars!

18. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    #18 ARTNNYC, Nov 12, 2015
  19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Very cool car. I service a couple of them. I just can't get past the "penis" look however. I just looks like a big dick.

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What about the car instead, though? ;)

21. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    So I got my SLS! Drove it for about 45 minutes today... Initial impressions...

-Build quality is top-notch
    -Doors are worth the price of admission
    -Sounds epic
    -Feels great, definitely feels like a special car when driving it

I'm super happy with this purchase because I wasn't looking to replace my 360, but was concerned I would walk out of this not wanting to drive the 360 anymore.

Not the case.

While I still need much more time driving the SLS, I feel like it's not hugely faster than the 360 in the real-world (meaning not on a track). Hear me out.

It seems (maybe I'm doing something wrong) like the car almost has too much power, to the point where if the road isn't glass smooth and almost freshly paved it has traction issues. I can't really put my foot to the floor when going on highway on ramps. The lights turn red and 1UP flashes on screen way before I'm in the 5000rpm range. (which has me concerned for ever trying Race Start)

The transmission reaction to paddle shifts is definitely slower than the 360, but I can see how the 2013 GT software could fix this. The actual shifts are much faster and smoother, when the car executes them. The car seems to use less effort when accelerating than the 360, if that makes any sense, but I can't get it to scare me...

For example, coming out of a 348 to a 360 seemed like leaving the 1950's and entering the modern world. The 360 seemed insanely quick compared to the 348, but I sold the 348 and waited about a year to buy the 360. So maybe it was a combination of just not being exposed to fast cars for a while, then jumping into the 360.

The 360 is more raw feeling, which probably adds the illusion that it's quicker than what it is. Where the SLS is really refined. The 360's shifts are almost violent compared to the SLS, which is better in some ways, and worse in others. Different for sure, and that was the point.

I can see how the SLS is probably the most fun at speeds that are criminally higher than the posted limits.

I'm very happy that the SLS is very different from the 360. Far more capable for sure, but it feels like an ultra classy race car that has all the capability of hanging with the big boys, yet civilized enough to go out to dinner. It seems like less of an event taking this car out than the Ferrari... but just as much fun.

Am I insane or is the point to which you can't really notice a huge gap in performance if you just drive on the streets?

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ^^^^ is that the car from the dealer downtown chicago ?

23. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yeah... was it yours?

24. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    no i was looking at it....

let me know if u see another deal

25. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Oh man - there was one in Danbury, CT .. just an hour and half from me, it was a 2011 with 3,000-ish miles. Carbon fiber sills, engine compartment, Alubeam silver, and it sold for $2,000 less than what I paid for this, and I wouldn't have had to have shipped it. On Tuesday I told them I would go down on Thursday to buy it... they sold it on Wednesday :(

So I didn't waste anymore time when I found one that was spec'd the way I liked. I preferred these wheels, which is why I went for it.

I did see this one listed recently:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/652274730/overview/