automotive batteries | FerrariChat

automotive batteries

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bundas, Nov 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    ballistic battery LiFeP04 with internal BMS. Pegasus auto racing selling these for $429. these seem to be what I need since I do not used my cars often and i have discharged batteries all the time. self discharge is 10% a year. these cannot be overcharged. any experience, people?

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Do you use a battery tender on your cars? If not I'd do that before a fancy lightweight battery. A quality traditional lead acid battery should easily last 5 yrs with a quality tender.

3. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    c-tek makes some of the best chargers/tenders,and theyre cheap $50-100

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #4 leead1, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    I use battery tenders on all my cars that do not come with a factory charger.

Several years ago I used Odesey battery on two vehicles. The batteries last almost 12 years and have very high cranking power.

The best part is they lose their charge very slowly over time. I had a 65 Cobra ( a kit of course) with a high compression engine without compression release. I also had no electrical outlet for a charger where I stored the car. I think it would hold a ptent charge for close to a year.

They are a little more expensive, and require a high wattage charger. Most modern cars can handle the charging needs of these batteries.

Personally I just use battery Tenders but it may provide an alternative.

As I think on it I use an Odesey on my 125 hp chopper. It would chew up normal batteries. This battery worked perfectly. I may have spelled Odesey wrong.

PS I checked their web site I did spell it wrong. Close enough for a Google search

best

Lee

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I use C-teks on all my cars/trucks that sit. My 98 M3 is still on the original battery!

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    On the smaller CTEK chargers (max charge is ~7 A) it has an internal shutoff after 4 hours. No big deal for someone monitoring the recharge, just unplug and plug it back in to restart. But if you heavily discharged a typical 70 amp-hour auto battery and hooked it up to the charger and then forgot about it, you might only get 28-ish amp-hours back in and the battery will sit (and die) in a low state of charge.

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Mitchell, get some C-TEK chargers. You can get 4 of them for the price of that foo foo battery. The C-TEK maintained batteries will last a long time. Even those fancy batteries still require maintenance.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    +1 I just ordered my 16th CTEK for $39.95 shipped from eBay. Have these on everything from cars to tractors. Never a failure. It is true that batteries still have a finite life though, and I have lost an ATV battery to old age while on a CTEK....

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    for the education. I have learned

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    So I share a warehouse/garage with two other guys. Total of 12 vehicles stored--all on C-TEKs. Never a complaint. Yes, batteries die. And yes, we occasionally forget to turn them on. But they rock.