Are P-Zeros worth it? | FerrariChat

Are P-Zeros worth it?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Tony K, Nov 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Hello FChat,

I would like your opinions on an upcoming tire purchase. I need the sizes of 205/50R15 front and 225/50R15 rear, so my only choices (in the U.S.) are the Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico or the Kumho Ecsta AST. I figure there are a fair number of P-Zero owners past and present here, hence the ask.

The car is a Lotus Esprit Series 1 with 3-piece 15" Epsilon wheels from the 1980s. It weighs about 2200 lbs. and has very forgiving, well-balanced handling. The car/tires will mostly see driving on public roads, maybe an autocross, but never a track day.

I've read all the reviews on Tire Rack for the P-Zero, as well as the handful on Discount Tire Direct for the Kumho. In the past, with other tires, I've been able to feel the difference in stability between an H-rated and V- or Z-rated tire at normal highway speeds, and I expect that on grip and stability alone the Pirelli will run circles around the Kumho...

But I don't know that, and I'm also taking into consideration other factors, below. If anyone has specific knowledge of the Kumho, that would be great; but if not, I would like to hear people's opinions of the P-Zero as it relates to today's typical H-rated high-perfomance all-season tires (the Kumho is approx. an $80 tire):

1) How well does the P-Zero age with regard to deterioration of grip? I only drive the car a few thousand miles per year, and if the tire is going to be great for a year or two and then lose a lot of its grip due to aging of the compound, might a longer-lasting performance tire like the Kumho be better in the long run? . . . (likewise, will the Pirelli start cracking in a few years? -- garage kept, of course)

2) Getting caught in the occasional rain storm: I would expect the all-season Kumho to be better... How good or bad is the P-Zero on wet roads compared to a high performance all-season?

3) Those colder days in October or even early November -- I understand the grip of summer-only Pirelli will be significantly reduced -- that's not the issue; my concern comes from this quote from TireRack: "Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius)." Has anyone experienced this? If I happen to take it out on a cold-ish (never snowy!) day in October, do I stand the chance of damaging the tire?

4) Construction quality/balancing -- A couple of the reviews of the Pirelli noted issues with vibration . . . but likewise I am leery about the roudness and balance-ability of a cheap tire (Kumho). Again, anyone have experience with either tire?

I'm sure it would be really fun to drive around on the stickiest, highest performance tires available for the car; On the other hand, if the difference between the P-Zero and more "average" performance tires is not that big, or if the Pirelli is going to be short-lived or troublesome in some of the above ways, it may not be worth it.

So can anybody comment on the above? Considering all of the above, are the P-Zeros worth it over an "average" high performance all-season tire?

Thanks for your input, and for reading the long post!

Tony K.

2. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    I drive a 4000LBS S4 wagon so our cars could not be more different but I've had 2 bad experiences with Pirelli and won't be going back for a third try.

I bought a set of Pzero's and over the course of 5 months blew each one on pot holes. I've never blown a tire on a pot hole before or since. The grip in the dry and wet was excellent but the road noise and wear rate were also much higher than other brands I've used.

I also had a set of sottozero's and didn't like how the felt at all... Very rough, very hard and very loud

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Toyo RA-1 and Yokohama A048 come in those sizes. Personally I'd use either. And the RA-1 is a fine wet race tire

They are both summer tires and very high performance but what an Esprit deserves. PZero would be behind both to me

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Ran P Zero Asimmetricos on one of my cars for five years. This was 1998-2003, however, so both compound and quality could be different today. From my experience:

I put 15,000 miles (of aggressive driving) per year on them and had to replace them every one and a half to two years due to wear. Never had a tire on long enough to worry about aging of the compound.

Never had a problem with grip--even at ridiculously stupid speeds in heavy downpour conditions. Rear-engine/RWD configuration (P 911) might have helped.

Rarely is it ever below 45° F here in SoCal, so I can't really speak to this one.

Never experienced this problem.

I really can't fault the Pirellis. The wear rate (every 22k-30k miles) was normal for me and my driving habits at the time. Of course, rears wore out before fronts. I did have a blowout once (rear tire at ~115 mph), but that was due to my own delay in replacing worn tires.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I had the kuhmo asx and 4x tires on a 930, and even tracked it. For those tires, the grip was awesome... Very pleased.

The ast is an "all season Truck tire." Hence the T. Probably not what you want...

Bo

6. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have had 18" P-Zeros on my TR for five years now. I've run the tires up to 160mph, no vibration whatsoever.

Great handling and very sticky grip. They replaced the Bridgestones I was using.

I'd buy them again.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons