NSX or Porsche 997S? | FerrariChat

NSX or Porsche 997S?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bing28, Dec 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Hi guys
    I am thinking about adding one more car either 91 NSX 5 speed or Porsche 997S manual. I am torn between the two cars. NSX is very rare and will probably appreciate more in the future. But 997 is such a great car and the interior is way nicer and of course way younger too. I'd like to get both but wife said no!

By the way I also own 87's 190E Mercedes Cosworth.

Thanks as always!

2. halo777

halo777 Rookie

Sep 24, 2012
    #2 halo777, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have always liked the Acura NSX, but never driven one. Over the last few years prices seem to have gone up substantially, to the point where I dont think it is as good a value for the money as a 997.

I like to drive my cars. I drive my recently purchased 997.1 C4s every day, all year long. Even have a child seat in the rear. So far, the car has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. When I used to follow the NSX forums, they seems very solid too.

I talked to a guy who owned an NSX and now owned a 987.1 Cayman. He said the Cayman felt way more modern, and he liked driving it much more. I was surprised, but I guess I shouldnt have been. 15 years of technology advancements is hard to beat.

While there were about a billion of 997s produced, I still think it is a car that will stand the test of time. If you go on the Porsche forums, you will find that there is a loyal following of NA manual cars, with non-electronic steering.

For price of an average NSX, I picked up an 08 C4s manual, decked out with many of the options I wanted. I think it has a timeless look, where certain elements of the NSX didnt age that well.

In any case, I think you are going to have to go on extended test drives with both, to figure out which one suits you better. I am sure you will find they are quite different cars.

Good luck! Whatever you choose, I am sure you wont be disappointed!

A few pics of my car...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In winter mode...
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Argento6spd360modena

Argento6spd360modena Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2009
    I would go with NSX, such a beautiful car, had one for 8 years, it is quite a special car. Doesn't cost a lot to increase power. My old NSX had Comptech Supercharger, the are so much aftermarket support for this platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsLbvhLka0E

4. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Thanks and I love your color combo! Great ride!!

5. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Wow that's a beast! I am really torn right now. I feel NSX has so much history and the design of that jet fighter cockpit is just - I am lost of word!

I probably should test drive them again until I can decide! But I like to collect cars so maybe NSX is the better investment?

But 997 is such a great car I love the handling power etc and can be daily driven. Tough choice!

6. nsx_2k

nsx_2k Rookie

Apr 7, 2009
    #6 nsx_2k, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I actually have a '91 NSX in my stable. It is a stock, 5spd and have had it for a number of years. To me it is a great car and has a special driving experience. It is nowhere near as fast as our 360's (stock vs stock), nor does it sound as sexy or intense, but it does drive extremely well. If you can find a reasonably priced one, you should consider it. Now this is advice coming from a NSX owner so I admittedly am very biased.

A few thoughts though....Realize that these are now becoming older cars. Sure they drive well, but there are a number of parts that are now failing due to age. Really goofy stuff like SRS (Airbag) computers, Climate control computers, stereo amps, relays, ABS modulators and an assortment of other wearable items. For reference, these are items that I, and many others, have had to replace in our cars. My car was a garage queen from its entry into the world, so I can attest that these items are simply worn/aged appropriately and not abused. Like a Ferrari, unless you find one that is very well maintained and up-to-date, consider placing funds aside for parts replacement/updates. I have personally replaced the aforementioned components which saved me some serious $$$. If, however, you are not proficient with cars, the labor can be somewhat expensive, though not Ferrari expensive.

7. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Sound advice! My brother is a mechanic so I should be saving some serious money there LOL. That's the thing with NSX I can't really drive it that much probably as little as I drive my 360. I also want something fun that I can drive almost daily.

But again NSX is such a rare car!!!

8. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I had an nsx. When you weren't driving it hard, it felt and sounded like a regular Honda nothing exciting....if your looking for a more sports car feel all the time... I would go with the Porsche

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I bought a 997.1 carrera stick with full leather interior as my DD. Love it.

If you want to drive it, get the 997. If you have an extra space in your garage and want to collect get the NSX. I can't deny its going to be a collectible... and I'm a porsche guy. :)

The 997 is a nice car but as far as collectibility I'm not sure. There is a following but its so common.. I bought the 997 with the intention hat if we need the rear seats, it can be a family car. If I wanted a pure driver car, a 981 cayman would do.. Even over the NSX.

Good luck!

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #10 texasmr2, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    They are both such great cars that make very reliable DD's, or weekend warriors, it would be a very tough choice. I am a HUGE NSX fan and think they are one of the sexiest looking vehicles ever built yet so is the 997.

A suggestion. Take your boss (wife) with you and drive both, good luck getting the keys back on either choice though.

11. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    True. Especially if you change the exhaust to Tubi the 997s sounds like a monster!

12. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Thank you Sir! I am leaning more toward NSX now because it's so rare. And you're right NSX will be a collectible car. I think I am going to drive my 190E Cosworth as my daily drive LOL!

13. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    LOL so true. Excellent advice! Boss loves NSX but she doesn't mind 997S too. I'm going to test drive those 2 cars again and decide after that.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Dang you Lin you have stirred the "car fool" in me once again thus compelling me to go look at a 6-speed 2004 911 C4S convertible this coming week, they want $22.8K.

15. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC

Spot on.

The 997 actually makes a great daily.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I don't find the NSX that expensive for a limited production "exotic" sports car. Most I've seen on the market here in Canada, well they have high kilometers. So you will pay a small premium for a low mileage garage queen. It might be collectible in the future, but not Ford GT like collectible. As most seem to have very high mileage. Id give it a B for collectability. A little more then the Porsche, but not significantly better.

For style Id go for the NSX. Its just a cool looking car. But it drives like a Prelude. High performance driving the Porsche is the better choice.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    How can you say the NSX drives like a Prelude, are you on crack?

18. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Seeing I have had both a prelude and an NSX, I can definitely say they don't drive alike...at all.

I love NSXs...pure emotional choice over a 997 for me. However, no question the Porsche drives better, handles better, is s better 'car' then the nsx...as it should be, it's over 20 years newier! My emotion still favors an NSX though.

19. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Lol that's an awesome car brother! Drive it for a few months and sell it to me for 18K!

20. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    #20 bing28, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Lol cmon man you can't compare Michael Jordan with Karl Malone! They put up similar numbers but you know they are not even close...

But yes the S is an awesome DD!

21. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    I know what you mean. I grew up in the 90's that's everyone's dream car back then! You look at it, your jaw drops to the floor and you forget about your girlfriend instantly LOL...

I remember in my head I was saying I'd take this car anytime over my gf LOL!

22. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Its a nice looking car. But as a sports car it doesn't perform as well as it looks. Engine lacks punch, brakes are mediocre, feels like a Honda product.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I always felt the engine was fine in the context of the era it came from. My NSX was head over heels better then my 328 in terms of a sports car. It had a similar sense of speed to 355's I have been in.

24. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I felt the nsx was too quiet and didn't feel very exotic while in it under normal driving. When you drove it hard yes it woke up and felt like a sports car..Thats just how I felt about the car..I'm not saying it's bad...it just didn't excite me under normal driving... My Porsches felt more sports car like at all times ...

25. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    Which one would you rather have in your garage 25 years from now? I think 25 years from now a decent NSX will worth 250K while 997 will probably be in the 40K range? Or am I far off?