BMW i8 thoughts from those who have driven or owned one? | FerrariChat

BMW i8 thoughts from those who have driven or owned one?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Auraraptor, Dec 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I was curious of thoughts from people with first hand experience with the i8.

How numb is the steering in real life?
    Are the rears seats usable for shorter people?
    Is the range usable? I understand the tank is actually tiny.
    Anything you wish you knew before buying?

2. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No experience driving but do have seat time in the show room. Be prepared to look like a fool falling in and nearly falling on your face getting out due. It didn't help that I'm 6'2" so maybe if your shorter it won't be a issue.

3. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have ridden in the i8. Striking design - inside and out. Car feels like it's from the future. But after driving a Tesla Model S, I believe in 20 years we will look back on 'hybrid cars' and see them for the insanity they are - in a very bad way.

Either go full electric or stay petrol, but this halfway hybrid thing was stupid from the word 'go' and the future will prove me right.

4. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I ordered one and wired for a year. It arrived and went down to the dealership excited to pick it up with the wife.
    As you know, it is strikingly gorgeous. Interior is amazingly electronic and is probably the way we are heading in the future.
    But:
    as other have said, incredibly difficult to get in and out of. My plans were to use it as a semi DD to avoid having to fill up with gas very often.
    Yes, it is carbon fiber, but the entire car screams "plastic" inside and out.
    The engine is the same as the Mini Copper- thats right- 3 cylinders, less than 130 hp.

That being said, my wife shot it down unmercifully. Looking at the way the prices are falling, I am glad I didn't pull the trigger at 160+.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
  6. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought mine about 5 months ago at a hefty discount. They're fun cars but I wouldn't want to daily drive one. I'm 6'4" and getting in and out is a little awkward but not a problem. Once in they're very comfortable. The back seats are tiny but can be used for kids if needed. The build quality is excellent. Not sure how all of the exposed carbon fiber can be mistaken for plastic. The engine is tiny but when the car is in sport mode it's actually very quick. Real world MPG is mid 30's to low 40's and, yes, the gas tank is tiny.

It's a lot of technology for the money. My wife loves it and 2 out of 3 of my kids prefer the looks to my Ferrari. I give BMW a lot of credit for building the i8. It's a fun toy at the right price.

7. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think ease of entry/exit was a priority when designing this car. They went after the "cool" factor.

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was given one for a day by a dealer. I am looking for an interesting daily driver to keep in Pittsburgh given that I'm going to be here more often (business related). I'm 6'3, 230 and I thought getting in and out was odd but something I'd get use to. I thought the car was quite quick actually, the throttle response is terrific. I think Car and Driver recorded 0-100 mph in 9.0 seconds so you get an idea that it's a really quick car at road speeds. It's comfortable to drive and tech is great. Not a fan of the look of the skinny tires but overall the look of the car was stunning and people respond really well to it. There's basically no storage in the car which would be annoying for a DD. This wouldn't by my snow car, I'd use a company SUV for that, but for all other days could be interesting.

Dealer wants $129 I'm thinking of offering $120. I'm just not sure if it's going to depreciate a lot further. I'm between the i8, AMG GTS, Audi RS7 or 991 Turbo S. Quite different, the lot of them but all very fast and comfortable. I'll make a decision second quarter of next year likely.

9. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have had it almost a year and have about 1500 miles on it. It is great fun to drive, attracts as much attention as my Ferrari, and in general like it VERY MUCH. I had enjoyed the Hybrid aspects for the first time. It has impressive performance at about 4 second 0-60.
    I am 73 and have no problems with the doors. You back up to the entrance, put your right leg in and sit down. You get out with your left leg out and roll out on your elbow. Nothing to it. If you look like a 300 lb football, you will not like it.