Can anyone recommend a 3D printing service ? | FerrariChat

Can anyone recommend a 3D printing service ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by philt68, Jan 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    #1 philt68, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I need to recreate this stupid little blue cutoff handle that's making me slightly crazy :)

since its nla, I need someone to make a file and print it for me-Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #2 solofast, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    First, as you noted, you are going to need a CAD model of the part and not just an old part to send to someone. Figure more than an hour or two of CAD time at $50/hour to make a model. Second you need to think about what you want to make it out of. Many many printed materials aren't suitable for a "real" part. That is, the part is the shape and size, but nowhere near the strength of what you need.

For a printing house I would suggest that you talk to Stratasys. They have some nylon and filled nylon materials that you could have your part made from. The color may be an issue, but there is always paint for that. I've submitted cad models to their automated system and gotten a quote in a matter of minutes. They are probably the best in the industry at this kind of stuff.

Finally this won't be cheap. Printed parts are basically a "time in tank" cost basis. That is the more volume you print the more it costs... plus a setup charge that is by the part. Probably you're looking at about $100 for that piece on a one off basis. Most likely less expensive to just replace the entire switch. If it's part of a classic that you want to "keep original" then go for it, but if not there are lots of those types of switches (Bosch makes one that I have on my race boat) that are a lot less expensive than trying to make just the handle.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

As was stated above, original=$$$$$. I fully understand wanting to stay original, but perhaps a similar T-handle would work painted or dipped the appropriate blue.

Jergens Inc.Plastic T Handle Knobs

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Is that the 037? I'm sure you looked, but would that not be a generic FIAT part or was it something exclusive to the Lancia?

5. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    #5 philt68, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    it's actually for this thing-it's a porsche 924 carrera gts clubsport..they made 15 of these bastards, so i'm obliged to try and make it as right as possible, otherwise i'd be sensible and settle for something that just does the job...:)

thanks everyone for the help btw! this is very useful!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    is this new? Where do you keep all these fine vehicles??? :D

7. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    it's newISH, but it's been getting a VERY slow restoration after i got screwed by someone who kept it for about 5 months...all the magic is kept in jersey city! :)

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Awesome - not terribly far from me either...best of luck with it, looks great!

9. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    you're welcome to see it it you want, when it's done!

10. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Have you found someone to design this? How exact do you need it? I could give it a shot. I've got an older version of SolidWorks & used to be a design tech...

11. MisterScrub

MisterScrub Rookie

Sep 10, 2009
    There is a company called Shapeways that does custom 3d printing.

Get in touch with them and see if they have in house modellers to make the file.

I only know them from the replica community (movie props, costume pieces) and don't know if they print things that durable.

Good luck.

12. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Actually modern 3D printing companies I know in Germany use 3D scanners for creating the necessary file. You just give the original part, even if broken (then parts :D), to them and that is it. However, this scanning service costs a couple of hours by itself.

Cheers, Bernhard