Next Car: BMW M3 GTS vs Aston DBS vs Aston V12 Vantage vs SLS | FerrariChat

Next Car: BMW M3 GTS vs Aston DBS vs Aston V12 Vantage vs SLS

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ur84wr, Jan 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ur84wr

ur84wr Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Max
    #1 ur84wr, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Hi guys,

I thought i'd reach out for some wisdom from you lot regarding my next car purchase.

I know a lot of you will disagree with this sentiment but first and foremost, Iam looking for future collectibility and value in around 10 years time.

Whilst Iam a true car guy through and through, I feel the joy had from a machine is tainted somewhat when that lingering feeling of losing obscene amounts of money in depreciation rears its ugly head.

I've done it enough times to know that I want to avoid wherever possible.

I already own a Scud which I love and baby and I know in the long run wont be a money eating disaster.

I'd like to buy another car to join her and split my miles up with.

Iam not basing my choice on having another driving experience necessarily (GT vs Racer for eg) as I have other nice daily's to choose from.

Iam looking for another special experience and Iam down to these 4 options.

E92 M3 GTS
    AM DBS (manual)
    AM V12 Vantage (manual)
    SLS AMG

My budget is up to 150k EU which these will all fall within, bar the SLS which I could sell my kidney for perhaps.

Any and all advice welcomed :)

2. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'll chime in. While I have not owned any of the other 3 cars, my SLS GT continues to grow on me since ownership from new, above my expectations and even in the company of cars like a Speciale and a 997 RS 4.0 sharing the garage. The combination of fun drive factor, everyday usability, build quality, and lack of financial pain make it a combination difficult to beat - which seems to be what are most important to you. And, of course, those doors.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Have you thought of adding a GT3 or even a GT4?

Out of those listed, the SLS is the most special car.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Porsche 997 GT2.

Get it now.

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #5 Sandy Eggo, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I heavily considered both of the Aston Martins you listed - in particular the DBS with a manual - and almost pulled the trigger. I've also had enough M powered cars and don't particularly think the newer ones are very special.

What did I do? I bought a SLS AMG (Gullwing) a few months ago. Freaking incredible machine. You will not regret it. Prices on SLS AMGs started creeping upwards about 12-18 months ago and show no signs of abating. The same cannot be said about the other vehicles you are considering.

Mine is on the left in the pic below. :^)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Rbcj50cal

Rbcj50cal Rookie

Nov 6, 2015
    I could not agree more as it relates to the SLS. Two years ago I too debated buying one of the many exotics on the market. Looked at and drove many. In the end, I bought the SLS and I could not be happier. It is an amazing machine and prices have been slowing appreciating. By the way, that's my SLS on the right. You can't go wrong with those doors!