Anyone seen the new Miata RF? | FerrariChat

Anyone seen the new Miata RF?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nathandarby67, Mar 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I really like the looks of this, those flying buttresses look fantastic. Really works with the lines of the rear of the car. Very cool roof design, kind of a poor man's Porsche Targa.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPa_9RkEyo[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #3 Nurburgringer, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    wowowow a retractable targa!!!

Love it. Targas are my favorite roof configuration - owned several X1/9s, a 308GTS, and rented a few Smart Roadster Coupes in Germany for almost a year - and I think this is the first ever power-operated one? Wait, the second, ROW Honda Del Sols had a crazy power targa top as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNchO9Qf-Qw[/ame]

Wonder how much more roll over protection this will give the Miata.

Love that the rear window retracts as well.

Can't wait to try it out.

more pics: Group
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I haven't wanted a Miata until right now.

I got to autox a new Miata and it was a blast. I couldn't see myself buying one but I really like the RF.

5. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
  6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The new Miata is very well styled to say the least! I am curious what the final weight penalty for the targa will be over the roadster.

7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Word is ~110 lbs.

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I love it !!!!

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The only engine option in the Miata is the 2.0 155hp 4 cylinder. Why couldn't they at least give it the 185 hp 2.3 my fiancé has in her 3? Or better yet, the engine from the Mazdaspeed 3 I used to have with 260hp?

Seriously...155hp is not enough for a car that looks that cool.

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    ^Agreed. I would strongly be interested in this car if it had ~250-300hp. As is right now I can't justify another parking space!

11. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Ford is kicking butt!

12. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Nice looking car, yes perhaps more power might be needed..

13. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #13 Alpintourer, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. rianf1

rianf1 Rookie

May 3, 2011
    The function of the top looks very similar to the Porsche 991 targa's operation. Bravo Mazda. This looks like a real winner and I am so glad they thought outside of the box as opposed to going with a conventional folding hardtop like the last generation Miata.

15. rianf1

rianf1 Rookie

May 3, 2011
    I think there are two reasons why.

1. Mazda always have focused the MX-5 as a lightweight roadster that does not necessarily need a powerhouse engine to make it go like stink. They always have been more concerned about nimbleness and handling characteristics rather than speed. Since 1990, they wanted to continue the Colin Chapman philosophy of small, lightweight and superior handling. To me, the Miata has always been a modern interpretation of the Triumph TR6, Lotus Elan and maybe even Austin Healy 3000's. Just with much better reliability.

2. To keep costs down. If you look at the roadster market, the Miata really still is the only sub 30k roadster you can buy new (until the Fiat 124 comes out). I think that is a reason why the Miata has always done so well. Boxter, Z4, SLK, Elise and even the S2000 when they were around were always considerably more expensive than the Miata. The Miata is in a class of its own in my opinion. The closest competition it has is the FRS/BRZ and those are not even roadsters (yet). Not to mention, the best manual transmission of all time without a metal gate.

I personally am a huge fan on the MX-5 and would have probably have owned more than one by now but unfortunately my 6'8 frame will not allow that to happen:( I have not tried out a new generation one yet. I do not know if its any improvement.

16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    My 6'5" frame was a no go in the new Miata but I did fit into the new Alfa 4C.

17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I've owned my ND for 6 months now and love it. 2316 lbs full of fuel. The driving dynamics offered by shedding 1000 lbs from say my GT3 can't be ignored. And you can use the full performance envelope of the car more easily. Finally the very robust aftermarket will solve any power or other issues you might have

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Mixed feeling on it. I had one of the first Miata's in BC back in 1989. Id like the new one to be more like the original. The top is too fancy for my taste.

19. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    But they also have a standard convertible version?

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Why not have more than one engine option? They have a 185hp 4 cylinder motor that goes in everything else. Make that an option.

21. rianf1

rianf1 Rookie

May 3, 2011
    I know in Europe, they do have a couple of engine options but one of the options is less powerful than the one that we have here in the US. I do remember the 2nd gen MX-5 had a Mazdaspeed version which had a turbo 4 which was a fantastic engine.

22. rianf1

rianf1 Rookie

May 3, 2011
    That is very good to know. I was wondering if I would be able to fit in that car. I know that I cannot comfortably fit into an Elise and that is always what I compared the 4C to. And I would love to have a 4C one day.

23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Saw this targa in person and thought it looked awkward. Wheelbase too short for the mass of the buttresses. Much rather have regular convt.

they also showed versions with a light weight bikini top and a speedster without a windshield. They looked great