Car hauler chaos | FerrariChat

Car hauler chaos

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Xcv8tr, Mar 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xcv8tr

Xcv8tr Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2009
    WA state
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #1 Xcv8tr, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last week I contracted with a car hauler to transport our very clean 2010 BMW M5 from San Diego to Tacoma. I checked out the hauler’s information and spoke personally to his insurance agent in San Diego to confirm coverage before I made the commitment to let the hauler come and pick up the car. I had my son who was with the car when it was loaded take a picture of the odometer. Near Portland the car was unloaded while a repair was made to the trailer we were told. When the car reached Tacoma we checked the odometer and the driver had driven the car 71 miles, we have a picture of odometer at unload as well. Transport driver at first denied then eventually admitted to driving the car. At no time were we asked if anyone had our permission to drive this car other than to load and unload it. This is the wrong car for someone to take for a joyride.
    After washing the car and confirming that there was no body damage resulting from the haul my son drove the car to fuel it as the extra miles had run it low enough for the low fuel light to come on. The M5 now has a noise coming from the right rear of the car that wasn’t there in CA. The car had just been at BMW San Diego less than 600 miles ago for repairs and had been given a clean bill of health. We have an appointment at BMW Northwest tomorrow to have it checked out. One side issue was that no bill of lading was presented to us when the car was loaded in CA or unloaded in Tacoma.
    Has anyone had an experience like this before and what was the outcome?
    Thank you,
    Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Put a smirk on my face as one of my former employees was a pioneer in the import of Japanese cars in the early 90s. A friend of his is married to a Japanese girl so her father (a mechanic there) would buy performance cars and ship them to Vancouver. The first few cars were shipped ro-ro shipping (not in container) So buddy flies to Vancouver, goes to the port and picks-up the car. Clears customs and leaves the port area. Picks the 1st gas station to fill-up the car. The attendant greets him and says: 'hey you are back'. A bit surprised he wonders what the guy is talking about and says: 'No I just picked-up this car, 1st one on Canada (fill-in the blanks rare car)' But the attendant says: 'No it was this car, you filled-up then went on to do donuts like a mad man, here you want to see I have phone video'

It was his car. They could not find who the driver was. Afterwards they invested in container shipping.