tesla model 3... any thoughts? | FerrariChat

tesla model 3... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Edward 96GTS, Apr 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is it a game changer?
    anything special vs a prius or volt?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm thinking the X may well be an option for my wife.

I have no knowledge of the 3.

Matt

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think it will be a game changer.
    BMW/Audi/Mercedes will suffer greatly, as the yuppie market gobbles them up. The current car is out of the price point for the young professional and too expensive as child's (son/daughter) of the upper/upper middle class. This car will become the mainstay of urban driving throughout the US, and a common fixture in suburbia.

I think BMW will be the worst off.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F

The i3 is ridiculously expensive for what you get,

Matt

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Agreed. I say all that despite wanting BMW to succeed (having driven them for over 15 years).

If they could get the i8 to 50 miles electric and at a price point of 60-80k, they will make a killing. Right now the i8 reminds me of Tesla's Elise-based roadster...neat demonstrator but not practical for actual use. The i3 is hopelessly behind the times in comparison to anything Tesla makes (range/etc)

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think if you live in or close to a city and travel into that city everyday it's a near must have.

7. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think BMW will be hurt more from the 3-series perspective vs. their current EV line-up...meaning that a lot of people with go with the Tesla Model 3 that would have been in the 3-series market.

8. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Very much considering putting a deposit on a Model 3. I currently drive a 3 series now. Hate to leave BMW but the Model 3 has awesome range and tech for the money.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

there will be 300k plus folks ahead of you:)

10. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Haha thanks for the reminder :)

11. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Love it at 35k in 2017, not so much at 60k in 2021, which is a possible outcome at this point.

Tesla has yet to figure out how to make an operating profit on a car selling at $100k-plus, so there's some work to be done. That said, I hope they can crack it.

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Why do you think it will be remotely close to 60k in 2021?

13. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Perhaps that is a tad too pessimistic. $55k in 2019, then. Just based on a combination of options pricing, production delays, and Teslas operating history. Still not a bad deal, if it's half as good as the S.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It will be a game changer. Possibly game over for Tesla. Making more cars they can just lose money faster.

15. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Deposit down :)

Not worried about them losing money as it seems like they reinvest it back into the company for more supercharger stations, R&D etc.

Interesting to see how this develops. If I feel like something doesn't settle right I'll just get my deposit back.

16. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I placed my pre-order at ~7AM on the morning after the reveal, so am maybe 125-150,000 from the front of the line.

No need for AWD, so can imagine mine being fairly close to a base-model.

I'm fine waiting a few years (can always get my $1000 back if something better comes along), the big question will be whether the full $7500 tax credit is still available by the time I actually get a production spot.

Would have much preferred a wagon or at least a hatchback. Heck, I may even ditch the Tesla if the upcoming Pacifica plug-in turns out to be a winner.

17. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Placed my order just after midnight so I should be within the first 100,000 or so.

My strategy was to get my name in the que, since after Tesla sells 200,000
    cars rebates start being cut or go way. I want to get the full Fed/CA rebates......

Figure people will drop off, or just not be in a position to buy, so if you hang
    in there, should make out.

The 3 depends on the new battery packs being made in the new Nevada factory,
    that has not been built yet. Cost will probably go up, but even at say $45k with
    options, minus $10K in rebates, the car is almost a no brainer for a around
    town hauler. The first ones to get delivered with full rebates will hold their value
    very well, figuring price increases and loss of rebates......

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If the model s is any ref election on the potential of the electric car then it will be a hit

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I'll put this here, as I didn't find a broader Tesla thread:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIh2PjqfXkQ[/ame]

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Nice vid.

I see an aftermarket opportunity making fake stick-on grilles for the 3.
    There used to be a company that made them for the VW Beetle and Karmann-Ghia.

Also, the original name for the '3' was going to be the 'E'. There was a moderate upset (S, E, X) so they changed it to the '3'.