Is the current AWD Ford Explorer front wheel drive biased? | FerrariChat

Is the current AWD Ford Explorer front wheel drive biased?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by MVDESQ, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Our ML250 Bluetec is getting too tight and the GL350 Bluetec seems like a waste of money (maybe) so we are considering a new Explorer soon when the lease is up. Is the current AWD Explorer front-wheel drive biased? We cannot stand front-wheel drive cars and despise the way they drive, feel, etc. Seems like many SUV's are front wheel drive now except the GL, X5, Expedition and Tahoe/Suburban. Our ML runs 70 rear 30 front bias. Any insight would be appreciated on how it drives on normal roads?

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Yes, it's based off the Taurus platform. Since 2011. The only midsize SUVs I know of that are still rwd based are the Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, 4Runner, Land Rovers, and the Germans. All the rest are crossovers.

3. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Ok but how does it drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Drive one, you might be pleasantly surprised.

You don't need AWD most of the time, right? And with the advancements that have been made, you really don't get the torque steer of old in FWD based vehicles.

Drove one VERY recently. Ended up getting it's smaller brother, the Escape, which is a really nice little SAV, or SUV, or whatever we call them now.

Also, would add I've owned Fords and Jeeps. Clearly the Jeep is a better 4WD vehicle, but at the expense of MPG, and truly, do you need the 4WD vs AWD?

D

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    It is, but the 4wd is decent. We bought one to beat crap out of, as Range Rover we had was too nice for that. 11000 mi so far.

I loathe trucks, but the '16 Sport is a decent vehicle. Wife needed 7 seats for VB team, and I wanted decent chassis and engine. Ecoboost twin turbo V6, Livernois tune, 410hp, lots of torque. Tows fine. Dogs, garden stuff, whatever, and it cleans up. 10k miles on it so far, changed oil once. One squeak from glovebox, fixed with 3m tab. Tolerates mild off-roading, and ride quality fine on lousy roads. Mileage 15-16 driven very hard.

Steering feel ok, goes where pointed, shock valving nice. Sport mode and paddle shifters as good as BMW. Cooled seats best I've ever had. LED low beams great, fogs and highbeams meh.
    Build quality ok, just keep in mind it's a US truck. Black looks like unmarked cop where we live, a big plus.

Dislikes-R mirror doesn't tilt down and in backing up, side mirrors don't defrost (but power fold), front camera doesn't come on in parking manuevers, have to hit button each time, park sensors have lousy range.

My wife's other car is an M3 DCT sedan, and my daily is E63S wagon. So this is a throwaway piece. But it's a decent, reliable tool, far more useable than the truck-looking stuff sold out there.

If you want a car with status appeal, this isn't it. If you want a really nice driving, useable vehicle that's not huge, but hauls 7 and a lot of stuff, you'll like it. Sport or Platinum are only 4wd. Personal pick was Sport, wife's preference.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sheesh, first we can't find you, then you won't talk, now we can't shut you up!!! :D

Now that's what I call progress!

D

7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The ride and drive is much improved. Doesn't have a lot of torque steer, and the EcoBoost pulls really well. The interiors are much better than the previous models, and not bad compared to the competition.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I went through something similar over the last couple years. In 2014 I picked up a new Jeep GC Summit V8 (with a couple modifications done to it fairly simple ones), it drove great, had plenty of power, and in sport mode the paddles turned into a growling little beast. My girlfriend needed to replace her SUV so we went shopping back in October (she needs a third row) we drove the Ford the new Volvo and a few others. The my opinion the Ford was not even close to my Jeep in any category. She ended up with a GL550, and a little over a month ago I traded the Jeep for a 2016 Range Rover Sport Autobiography V8 supercharged. The RRS was the only vehicle I would have ever replaced the Jeep for. In my opinion unless you want to spend over 100K nothing can touch the jeep at least not the model I owned.

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    GC won't seat 7.

Choices for that with actual room for more than bicrural amputees or achondroplastic dwarves is limited to Explorer, Durango, couple GMC lumps, plus the giant lumps, a Pathfinder and Infinity with godawful CVT, and Highlander/Lexus equivalent.

Only a couple actually have decent rear seats. HS volleyball players have long legs and they are quite vocal about room.

If you want laughs, try to have your GF/spouse wear short skirt and get into 3rd seat of X5, Forerunner, Q7 variant, or GL.

If they made a LWB Rangie with 7 seats, and a interior that didn't look like a Kardashian bordello, with tires that work on more than speed bumps and a BF hitch, I'd buy 2. Sad end for great offroad trucks.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Test drive a Durango...

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Back in the 1990's Id say the Explorer would be a good pick. Now that we have multiple choice options, not so much!

12. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

What do you mean it doesn't have a lot of torque steer? That seems it has some. Does it fell like it pulls from the front out of turns from stop? Does the nose dive when pushed hard?

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Why don't you do a test drive of an Explorer; see for yourself if you like it or not?

You're not going to be satisfied by verbage here, it doesn't sound like.

14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I had an Explorer Limited 3 years ago, and it was a good car.

I now am in my second Durango Citadel in 2 years ( handed the first one off to my son 6 months ago), and like it better than the Explorer. Have the V-8 semi Hemi, and it has great power, while still delivering 20+mpg on the road at 80mph, even with 4wd. We put 6 men in it quite often for office lunches, and those that get back there say it is much easier than the Explorer and the MLK 350 my brother has. It shares a frame and 8 speed auto with the Grand Cherokee as well as both Mercedes SUV's, and the tranny is really good.

My wife and I did 4,000+ miles in the first Durango last summer, and it ate up those miles.

I am sold on the Durango, but the Explorer is a lot of car for the money as well. You can buy both loaded up for in the mid to high $40's.