just cool cars (worth owning!!) | FerrariChat

just cool cars (worth owning!!)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by zudnic, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Basically for any purpose! Joe Sackey's NSX thread, the buy the oldest 911 thread and then seeing a 69 Camaro yesterday, got me thinking about this. Besides the obvious, what are great cars worth owning?

Not really on a budget or even cheap cars. But more of why buy the new Camaro, sure its fast and all. But to me they look like those cartoon drawings of people you get done at county fairs, boardwalks, or in Times Square. It might look like your family but its a cartoon version! For me I'll go for the true nostalgia and get the original over the retro version trying to be cool.

This is about cool cars you buy for whatever reason. While a Honda civic is a great car with many virtues its just not cool in my opinion.

The Porsches, Mercedes, Aston Martins, etc. are all talked about here.

What about the cool normal car you want and for what purpose? Cars like the NSX or even a 240Z.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, May 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #3 19633500GT, May 15, 2016
  4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, May 15, 2016
  5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Maybe cartoon was a little harsh. Its just the original is so much cooler. No its not a better car, its just I can get more passionate about the original.

The last two are very cool.

Saab's also great fun cars.

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Oh and that's a great reason to buy a Saab!

I'm more interested to hear why someone is passionate over something not often mentioned here.

7. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#7 Sterling Sackey, May 15, 2016
  8. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Try the AMG W210 E55 Mercedes. Built like a tank, can keep up with most of today's cars, and built when "AMG" on the decklid really meant something. I enjoy my 1999 vintage to this day, and does duty that the Ferraris and Porsches cannot begin to touch. Plus, for whatever reason, the market prices them very very cheap.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #9 JoeZaff, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    This is a great thread and I could probably list a ton of great
    Cars worth experiencing...from the
    E36 m3 to the lotus Elan and original Mini Cooper and everything inbetween... But my
    Favorites... The ones I will always have in my garage are the 1979 Lancia zagato and any MGB through 1974. Here are my babies.

Fwiw- I would take a sledgehammer to any exotic I've ever owned before I would let either of these two get a scratch!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #10 normv, May 15, 2016
  11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I stopped getting regular car magazines and focused on Porsche, Ferrari and Rolls Royce. Mostly into boats, but did watch Top Gear. First time I saw one had me going cool car who the heck makes it. First time ever I looked for the badge!

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And nicely presented! :)

The GXP is very rare, the Coupe version is extremely so.

FWIW, the SRT6 has over a 100 hp more than your "regular" Crossfires.

13. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #13 normv, May 15, 2016
  14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I rented a 2016 Stingray a couple of weeks ago. My background in sports cars are 911SC, 4 Porsche 964's, a 996, two Testarossa's, and a 1995 Lotus Esprit S4. Current cars are a 1990 TR, 2008 Porsche 997 C4S and Range Rover.

The Corvette has a lot of midlife crisis, gold chain stigma attached to it. But holy heck, What a car! Besides being blown away with its performance, it hit home runs in the ease to drive and being tactful categories. The Nav was super easy as all of the cockpit controls.

I had to trade it in for a Jag XF rental because my wife joined me....with her luggage. Everything about the car was a let down, difficult nav, complicated buttons. The ride was smooth but no smoother than my 2005 Range Rover or her 2002 Jag XJ8.

Back to the Vette. If I had to sell everything and buy one car, and only one car, I would gladly downsize to the Stingray. It did everything so well. Totally docile on city streets, but when you slam down the fun pedal, better call your chiropractor because you neck will need adjustment.

Other fun cars I love to rent but not enough to buy: Chrysler Crossfire (when it was available), Dodge Challenger. Other cars I love but dont own: BMW 8 Series with the 8 cylinder, MB 190E 2.3 16V ( sold mine to help fund the 997), Merkur XR4TI in Mono White.