NSX design | FerrariChat

NSX design

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by joe sackey, May 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed, Ken Okuyama, who was brought over from Pininfarina to design the NSX in-house for Honda, also designed the Ferrari Enzo!

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Wow... hard to believe they were both designed by him.

The Enzo is a real Tour de Force... the NSX is just another bland coupe, designwise.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The most legendary designers showed incredible range, Marcello Gandini designed the Countach, and he also designed the Renault 5 Turbo, for example.

That said, I can easily see how the NSX and the Enzo were designed by the same man, especially if you put it into the proper context of the era in which the NSX was designed. The NSX's F16 inspired fighter jet canopy, long rear end & unmistakeable taillights were probably the most distinctive / futuristic / risk-taking design features when it was launched compared to something like its Ferrari 348 or Porsche 911 competitors. The Enzo's overall design was similarly avantegarde when it was launched.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    with all due respect, are you certain about this statement?
    I've never heard of any of Ken's involvement with a Honda NSX design
    introduced in 1990, Ken was at GM at the time if i'm not mistaken, but maybe you've heard a different story

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if that's not true, he certainly seems to get a lot of credit for it.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #6 jm2, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i've known Ken since his GM days, and I guess I just never heard of this
    but I guess it could be
    while it's sometimes hard to trust Wikipedia, here's what they say about the NSX:

The NSX was designed by a team led by Chief Designer, Masahito Nakano, and Executive Chief Engineer, Shigeru Uehara. It benefitted of advanced aerodynamics and styling inspired by a F-16 fighter jet cockpit[3] and input from the late Formula One World Champion, Ayrton Senna, during the final development stages.

Maybe Ken had some involvement I just wasn't aware of.

No mention in Car Styling...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've seen numerous references to Ken having designed the NSX, in credible sources. this is interesting.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ken is widely credited with designing the exterior of the NSX.

After the Art Center College of Design in California, in the late 80s he was a visiting professor at Tohoku University of Art and Design, and in 1991, he returned to teach part-time at the Art Center College of Design in California. His stint at GM apparently came after that.

The Revs Institute is a credible source I think: The Revs Institute | Acura NSX and I draw attention to this:

"Ken Okuyama designed the exterior of the NSX for Pininfarina, just as he would the Ferrari Enzo".

There are many other sources that corroborate this.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    OK I stand corrected. Learn something new everyday.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No worries.

I did some more checking and in Nov 2012 Ken was interviewed in a piece based on his own testimony that says:

"Ken Okuyama’s first foray into professional car production was as Chief Designer for the Honda NSX. Ken extensively researched the F-16 fighter jet and incorporated elements of it into the NSX. It’s low height, aerodynamic body lines, and forward cockpit brought rave reviews from car enthusiasts, but it was more than just a pretty face. It also incorporated the latest technologies from Honda’s F1 motor-sports program such as all-aluminum construction and electric power steering. Even today, the NSX is considered one of the most reliable exotic cars ever built."

Another piece on Ken establishes the timeline with GM:

"After graduating from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California with a degree in automobile design, he worked as a visiting professor at Tohoku University of Art and Design and as chief designer for Honda’s NSX project. Thereafter he returned to teach at his university, the Art Center College of Design. Okuyama was also chief designer for General Motors and Porsche and received, in 2004, the offer take on the position of design director at Pininfarina, Italy. Among other creations, he designed the Enzo Ferrari, the Maserati Quattroporte, and the new generation of the Porsche 911."

I'm learning too, and now I think this NSX is even more impressive!

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    NSX, Boxster, 996, Enzo, P4/5.

solid resume.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Never in question

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #13 El Wayne, May 17, 2016
    Perhaps credible, but obviously not infallible. Pininfarina designed the Honda HP-X concept, not the NSX that followed. Okuyama had nothing to do with the Pininfarina design.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I really think the piece in the revs institute meant to say:

"Okuyama designed the exterior of the NSX, just as he would the Ferrari Enzo for Pininfarina"

Editors.

Or lack thereof.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Either way, I don't believe KO had anything to do with the NSX either. Per Honda, it was penned by their in-house team, headed up by Masahito Nakano. There would have been no reason for Honda to reach out to KO (an unknown, recent Art Center grad) at that time, and besides, neither Honda nor KO have ever mentioned anything about it.

Like so many other bits of disinformation, somebody out there retroactively assigned KO credit for the design and everyone else has copied/pasted the same blurb ever since.

Of course, none of this takes away from the car you're offering. Looks to be in fantastic condition.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #16 joe sackey, May 18, 2016
    Thanks! The car is sweet, indeed.

As regards KO, I find it rather unbelievable that all the many sources that report KO's involvement are erroneous reporting. There is no smoke without fire. I agree we are all learning about these things and we got it wrong in the beginning stating that KO was "brought over from Pininfarina", when in fact he was already in Japan circa 1990 when he designed the NSX, or was part of the team who designed the NSX, whichever one prefers.

A little more research suggests that Ken Okuyama worked on the design team under Executive Chief Engineer Shigeru Uehara. This too is stated in many sources, all of which can't be wrong.

Why is he not mentioned by Honda? In researching the histories of Ferrari and Lamborghini for the books I published, I learned that the reporting of who did what in car companies is not an exact science! Also, there are sometimes political or personal reasons certain people are left out of being mentioned...

As regards KO being so young, the NSX would not be the first iconic sports car designed by a young design graduate. Think Marcello Gandini & the Miura!

The received wisdom from many sources (which makes sense) is that after graduating from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California with a degree in automobile design, he worked as a visiting professor at Tohoku University of Art and Design and was drafted a designer for the NSX project.

In 2012 Ken was apparently interviewed for a November 8th 2012 published piece by Mash Bonigala, based on what is obviously KO's own testimony, and which says:

"Ken Okuyama’s first foray into professional car production was as Chief Designer for the Honda NSX. Ken extensively researched the F-16 fighter jet and incorporated elements of it into the NSX".

Hard to fathom Mash also made the piece up or simply copied & pasted.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one, not that it really matters too much.

That said, the car that is the thread's topic is awesome, and there is absolutely no disputing that! :)

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #17 GuyIncognito, May 18, 2016
  18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As hard as it may be for you to fathom, that's exactly what happened. Read the piece again. KO was NOT interviewed for that blog piece. As with Bonigala's other blog posts from around the same time, it's simply composed of various blurbs found on the Internet. Some of it (not the NSX comment) was lifted directly from a previous interview with KO, in which the NSX was never mentioned.

And that NSX/F-16 comment you posted is a good example of how disinformation gets disseminated online. The original source attributes the F-16 research to Masahito Nakano and his team. Somewhere along the way, someone swapped out MN and his team for KO. Subsequently, a few bloggers copied the modified statement and it has continued to be reposted, almost verbatim, by Bonigala and others ever since.

If you have time and are honestly interested in discovering the truth, then I challenge you to do some real research and come up with one single KO interview in which the NSX, or any work with Honda, is even mentioned.

And of course, if you would rather just drop it and move on, that's cool too. Not much point in derailing your thread any further! :)

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    By the way, you've gotta love Honda's claim for design inspiration. :)

General Dynamics F-16C Fighting Falcon circa 1984:

Nissan MID 4-II, first shown at the 1987 Tokyo Motor Show:

Ferrari 408 4RM (chassis 70183) from 1987:

Honda/Acura NSX debuts at the 1989 Chicago Auto Show:

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    For anyone just joining in who may be confused by the brief references to a car for sale, the discussion taking place here was split off from this thread.

21. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    My friend in High School did the Boxster.
    Grant Larson.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF1n4tyedoU[/ame]

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Interesting but no need for insults, no ?

Honestly I have always heard that Ken Okuyama was the lead designer.
    Didn't know who he was prior to that and Masahito Nakano would have been just as well.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  25. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Reporters / media stories are one thing, but the internationally renowned Red Dot award for design lists Ken Okuyama as the chief designer for the NSX here: Red Dot Design Award: Ken Okuyama Presumably an organization as serious as this one would do enough checking to get their facts straight.

However, it is also important to remember that at the end of the day, this is a product from a company that is orders of magnitude larger than the typical supercar manufacturer. The boardroom meetings for design on a Honda product likely have tens of people in attendance with even more employees having some small input in the project, and it's easy to conceive a situation in which multiple individuals, at different periods of the design process or even concurrently, had the title "chief designer" or something similar which may have then been misconstrued when translated from Japanese. Most people think of Shigeru Uehara as the "lead designer" for the NSX, which in a way is true (he led the project, primarily as an engineer), but in other ways is completely untrue (Uehara is not a "designer" in the sense of putting pen to paper and drawing a car). I think the moral of the story is that this is not the type of car where one designer is likely to have been responsible for the entire finished product, and if Ken Okuyama's name pops up as much as it does with this car, I would place my bets he was involved in a significant way.