1985 BMW 635csi as Daily Driver? | FerrariChat

1985 BMW 635csi as Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by leeber, Jun 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Does anyone have an opinion to share whether a 1985 BMW 635csi would be a descent "daily driver" type for about a 5 mile drive to work, and an occasional 2 hour clip up the road and back? A friend bought one recently from a collector's estate but has only put a couple of hundred miles on it over a year so he's not a good person to ask. He wants to sell it and I am thinking about it. The car has 40,000 original miles and the Delphin Gray Paint with Black Leather Sport seats are in great shape-garaged its whole life. I know it needs a few things (new tires, A/C worked on, probably some fuel injector adjustments) But overall, its got a 5-speed manual trans and is U.S. version. What do FChatters think?

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Decent? DD?

Will it warm up in 5 miles? Probably in your climate. Is it up to speed or 30-40 mph surface steets?

I drove my '78 530 as a DD for several years several years ago.. was great.

3. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I had both at the same time - 86 M5 and 86 M6. The M6 which is the juiced up 635, wonderful car to drive. Short drives a little tougher as does take a few minutes to warm up everything. Good trunk space, easy to work on engine. The 535 or M5 though was more practical and easier to get in and out. Another option is a well sorted 88 735. Good luck

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Price?

I test drove one for a weekend back in the day, (maybe '87-ish) thinking it would be a great DD for me to go to work (30 minute commute.)

It was a GREAT car, and I got all warm and fuzzy about using it as my DD that weekend. Then I called my insurance company, looked harder at the sticker price, and got a lecture from my wife. (we had two little kids and had just bought a house.) Ended up with a with an Audi coupe GT instead, as I recall, or might have been a Thunderbird Super Coupe. (memory is a little fuzzy about that.)

I'd say go for it, with a caveat or two. 1. Are parts plentiful? and 2. Do you have a good mechanic close by for it?

I don't think it'd be unreliable, for a 30 year old car, and they drive great. I'd consider the possibility that it will need tires, brakes, and a few other maintenance items along with the stuff on your shopping list. If it can be had for decent money, and you love the look/ride, go for it. After all, it was designed to be a DD, right?

And if it's a gigantic fail down the road, well, there's always another guy, just like you, looking for a low miles 635csi.

D

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #5 merstheman, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    I live in São Paulo, Brazil. Our roads are not nice. Our climate is hot.

I daily drove my 1965 635csi (european model, auto) for something like 3 years before I bought my 118i which is my DD today. The 6er is an incredible commuter car. My car had about 78 thousand KM when I bought it, it now has almost 90. I won't lie I've had a few issues with it - mainly electric issues (it used to eat batteries) and perishable parts like bushings - but that M30 engine is just about bullet-proof, and if you're looking at a 5-speed, even better as you won't have to deal with the early electronic auto like I have in my car.

I say go for it. There's a real connection when you drive that car that you won't get in a more modern car. Also, the back seats fit real people, not just kids. Just make sure A/C works if you live in the heat, because that big greenhouse means the cabin gets hot in traffic.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #6 merstheman, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By the way, parts are really easy to find online, not that expensive if you live in the US (for 1985 cars, many were shared with the E28. Earlier cars shared with the E12) and the enthusast network on bigcoupe.com and other forums is very very helpful. This isn't a hard car to work on yourself.

I get screwed over on parts $$$-wise because I live in Brazil. It's actually the reason my car is not daily driven anymore. And the less you drive it, the more trouble it'll be.

I recommend putting on E39 sports 17' wheels. The original wheels used TRX tires which aren't the greatest. My car drives great on the 17's, it actually looks very good, too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    thanks for the posts. they are quite helpful. especially about tire and wheel replacement. the 635 I'm looking at has original TRX's and definitely need replacement. i do love the original wheels on the e24 but perhaps changing out to some non metrics are the way to go with a new set of basket weaves and easier to find and cheaper tires?

keep the posts coming with your opinions and experiences!

8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There are some guys who make replica Alpina wheels in more practical/modern sizes, and they look very good too.

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I've had a 80 633csi, 79 635csi and an 86 635csi and used all of them as dailys. They are great cars, but the one thing lacking is good ac. As said before, you have a big greenhouse, and with a black interior, the ac system is really laboring to keep you cool.

Go with Suspension Techniques sway bars and H&R springs with Bilstein sports and be prepared to carve canyons! A chip, intake and full exhaust complete the package.

10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #10 zygomatic, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    I can't comment on 6 series as a daily, but I did daily a 20+ year old car for a few years. If we were sitting in a pub discussing this, the first question I'd ask you is: what's your backup plan? Can you easily get to work if something goes wrong with the car and/or the weather turns to absolute garbage and you decide you don't want to subject your baby to the drive?

If you have a good backup plan, I'd say go for it. Plan on a lot of maintenance early on; if your car is like mine was, there are a lot of cobwebs to blow out. But once you start going through things and getting them "right", the car will seem better for the exercise. And you'll have the joy of driving something interesting and unique every day.

11. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Absolutely go for it, I've had 2 an 83 and an 89 Highline. There fantastic cars and will still be on the road years after current disposable cars have been crushed.

12. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Leeber:
    Based on my experience with my '87 M6 I wouldn't hesitate to use a 635csi as a DD. These are great cars to drive at everyday speeds, especially with that sweet five-speed gearbox. As for tires, I recently replaced my old TRX tires with fresh TRX-GT tires now being offered by Longstone Tyres in the U.K. and I'm very happy with their grip and handling. They are a bit pricey but they'll last you many years and you don't have to change out your wheels.

Alan
    New Jersey

13. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    My climate will be 90 degrees mostly, but my commute is thru neighborhoods. So mostly 65-75mph in 3rd gear:)

Actually, mostly 20mph start/ stopping.

14. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    A chip, intake, and full exhaust are exactly what i am hoping for. Will that increase hp or torque sufficiently? What about exhaust note? Will it growl like a baby M? If so, im ready to make it happen.

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    They all work in concert with each other. With all of those installed, you should get about 20-25 hp. For a little more oomph, you can change diff gears.