No birthday cheque this year. Enter Caroline. | FerrariChat

No birthday cheque this year. Enter Caroline.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kiesan, Jul 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #1 kiesan, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yah its my b-day. Just another day for me. Meh, whatever. My mother always enjoys it though. As I became sort of an adult the gifts stopped. Instead she would write me a check for my age x 10 usd. Thats what Chinese mothers do lol.

Bad news my mom told me this year. I wasn't getting a check. Remember that car I bought in 1990? I haven't driven her (Sweet Caroline) for 4 years. Come get her. I don't know if she still works but she is all yours.

Caroline is a black/black 1979 M-B 450SL my mom bought 26 years ago at 35k miles (now 102k). Back then the car had Zenith wires and was essentially like new. I told my parents (in 1990) to get a ppi because I knew that someday someone on a car forum would lecture me if I didn't. Phil Smart Mercedes told her the car looked great but the clock didn't work.

This was my mom's "I've made it" car to drive around while she pretended to have a realtor job haha. The job didn't last but the car stuck.

In 1990 I was underwhelmed by this vehicle. Way too country-clubby for my taste. Back in the day my younger more energetic self was tasked with sourcing/installing German made chrome Centra wheels with gold M-B star centers. Plus... you've got to have the stainless trim pieces on the fender lips because thats what Asian ladies like yo!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #2 kiesan, Jul 16, 2016
    I fully expected to have to flatbed Caroline out of there. For the heck of it I grabbed a new battery (what a freaking monster!) and popped it in there. The fuel gauge barely registered but I turned the key anyway. She roared to life like she had never been asleep. How the fuel in the car even made the engine work I'll never know, but I drove her 4 miles to the gas station before the 24 mile drive to Seattle from the P's house.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Get that clock fixed, dammit!

4. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #4 kiesan, Jul 16, 2016
    This past week I spent 3 days solid sorting her out. All new fluids, filters, shocks, shift bushings, throttle linkage bushings, tires, brakes, plugs, tranny service, diff service, coolant service, etc., etc. That servicing combined with some trips to redline and Caroline has never run better. My mother never went over 2500 rpm I'm sure in 26 years.

My parents always kept her up so really there was not much to do other than deferred maint. I can safely say they don't make them like they used to.

Its funny how tastes change. I hated these back in the day. Now its fun as heck to cruise around in. Literally EVERYONE gives a thumbs up or wants a ride. I'm actually considering euro lights/bumpers and keeping her around for the long haul.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Very cool.

A variation on your birthday check. My mom used to give each of us a check for 10X HER age on her birthday.

Last check I got was for $780.00, in June of 2008, by 79 Alzheimer's had removed any recollection of that gift from her mind, and within six months she had passed away. I used to grin ear to ear when she gave us each the check. It was very generous for my mom to do it, and it made her smile. I'm having a sad moment just thinking about it now.

ON THE OTHER HAND, that's an extremely cool car, and a time capsule, that you've fixed up. Pick your mom up and take her for a long ride in the country. Buy her dinner, thank her for the gift, and have a super day with her.

Then repeat it as often as you and she can stand. You can't spend too much time with your mom.

Oh, and I assume the Neil Diamond tape had "Sweet Caroline" on it!

D

6. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #6 kiesan, Jul 16, 2016
    Oh yah. That song is on there although I prefer "Shilo".

You're right about time with mom... I see her all the time.

As far as the ppi goes... the car has been on a lift at no less than 3 shops in 10 days. I know what I'm up against lol.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's a nice SL! I used to have a creme/bamboo 78 with chrome Centras, gold star, euro headlights and the jump seat. My sister wanted it and it rotted away under her ownership. :(