Scientists Tell Us Why Men Buy Supercars | FerrariChat

Scientists Tell Us Why Men Buy Supercars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JasonSpidey, Jul 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonSpidey

JasonSpidey Karting

Nov 8, 2010
  2. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

What is it with women and Bentleys? I've been wondering this for the past 10 years and in my opinion it's the "Pop culture" phenomenon at play.

THe only women I know that are actually somewhat in to cars ALL say the same thing. If I were buying any car I want, it would be a Range Rover or Bentley. Translation- they know nothing about cars, and whatever is shouted and shown on TV shows, movies, rap videos as being the "trophy car" is what they want. I'm almost 33 years old and I can guarantee you that if you were to rewind the clock 15 or twenty years and asked the same question it would be "what's a Range Rover/what's a bentley?" Times sure have changed. And so have the production number of both of those brands.

BTW I think Rolls Royce has done themselves a big favor by keeping their brand away from that garbage for the most part. They still have the prestige. Bentley still makes a good car but man is the brand stained. Rappers, overnight millionaires, and low-life celebs galore

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I wonder what it says that I choose to drive a twelve year old Volvo as a my daily - peacock feathers be damned. Hell, when I was single and my DD was a $20k 996, I was afraid that might attract the wrong kind of girl so I used to borrow my neighbors 15 year old beige Toyota Camry beater for all of my dates.

In my opinion, cars like Ferraris are Point A to Point A cars; you don't take them places to show off. They're cars to be enjoyed on open roads with twists and turns, not to show off at the valet stand.

I can't say that about Rolls Royce and the other luxury cruisers. I think that those are the show-off cars. I don't know what they attract because I've never owned one but those are the cars that people buy to be seen in. That must be the number one reason for someone to buy one.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why do men buy supercars?

Because they can.

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Frankly, I found the analogy of the peacock more interesting than the story itself.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I want to see the study that shows why men like boobies.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Not quite, probably because of your (young) age. :)

I guarantee that Range Rover actually WAS a big deal THIRTY years ago, much less 20 years ago. They were the go-to Hollywood SUV, even then, and still are.
    They were a big deal whn you were born.

Bentley was close. That changed when VW bought them, almost 20 years ago and they became VERY popular then.

And it's BMW that's keeping the Rolls Royce brand like that, since they are the owner for the last 18 years.

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I buy them because they are fun to drive, fast, powerful and great looking.

Also car people tend to be enthusiasts and fun to talk to. I have made a lot of friends over the years.

best

Lee

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#9 Bradwilliams, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Me, too, the vertical doors LOL

Agree

Hahah. And a study that shows why women like tall guys

Interesting..

I don't doubt that Range Rovers were a big deal in Hollywood, and new york. But in every wealthy suburb in Indiana (Carmel, Zionsville, etc.) and Casey Key Florida (the only two places I spent my childhood) most people were not at all familiar with Range rover 15-20 years ago, because the production number was WAY lower and there was not much advertising in mainstream media. All i'm saying is the average upper middle class to upper class person 20 years ago (not living in LA or New York) on average had never heard of a Range Rover or Bentley for that matter. Or wouldn't be able to recognize one if they saw it it seemed. I grew up in one of the wealthiest areas of Indianapolis (Zionsville), and pre 2003, I could probably count on one hand how many times I saw a Range Rover driving around in the late nineties early 2000s. Hardly ever saw a first gen back in the day either. Lexuses, Mercs, BMWs, Jags, even bentleys and rollers were more common. And everyone who forked over big money for a larger SUV was driving a Land cruiser, Suburban, Or an LX450. And Eddie Bauer explorers were everywhere LOL. And in the early 90s the most common "prestige cars" being driven were the XJS Jags, LS400 Lexus was the car to have, and the 560SL, Porsches, etc. And the occasional Testarossa, 308 or Diablo. Didn't see many countaches.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Sorry.

They were everywhere, we had 2 dealers here in Denver, 3 more in a 60 mile radius even in the 90's.

CA AZ UT TX, the east coast, Georgia, they were 'the' SUV.

And the rest of the country.

Places like Indiana probably not a good benchmark.

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Why does there have to be a reason?

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Depends on a neighborhood.
    In late 80s through the 90s and continuing till today, Range Rovers were dime a dozen in Lake Forest (Il), you would see 2 or even more at stop light at the same time (even early 90s).
    A RR is a default housewife's car here, very few Lexus Suvs.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #13 JaguarXJ6, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I've always found women more attracted to Jeep Wranglers than sports cars

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. Real Ferrari enthusiasts are the best. I sold my last last Ferrari in 2008, but I'm still here. :)

But when people would ask me why I brought a Ferrari, all I could say is, "I wanted to, and I could."

16. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    They may be the SUV but they are still junk. I have yet to see one off road in Colorado and all my fiends that have bought one over the last twenty years swear never again. More time at the dealer than is tolerable. It is funny in our mountain neighborhood where everyone drives an a SUV, I only see one up here in Genesee. Tons of Toyotas, Lexus, and Audis, some Mercedes (4-5 G wagons) but only one Range Rover.

17. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    In the '60's/'70's, the Country Squire wagon was the default housewife's car in LF ...

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, reliability is questionable.

But...

How did we get off on this on a thread about 'Supercars'?

I'm guilty too.

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Is this a real ad? LOL. Talk about trashy. I have been considering an Arnage or GT for the past few years and this just makes me second guess the decision even more...

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    dayum, i'm a peacock that attracts bros instead of hoes...

i've gotten lucky probably around 2-3 times as often driving a beat up lexus than i have in any exotic i've ever owned...

maybe i'm not doing it right...someone educate me please.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Because they look like the wheels of a supercar?

22. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    you can't boil it down to an article. There are many factors influencing the purchase. But i'd say there are two main camps.

People that buy them for attention, cruise the strip, and never see the TCS light flash at them.

And people who buy them for themselves (to drive hard, to stare at them in the garage, to remember the days they watched schumacher dominate F1). Most of us.. being on an internet forum about ferraris... are likely somewhere in between.

If all I wanted was attention i'd get a clean gallardo for under 100k and pull just as much as a 200k 458. The general public doesn't know the difference.