thoughts on the SLR Mclaren | FerrariChat

thoughts on the SLR Mclaren

Discussion in 'Other German' started by GPM, Aug 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    some love it and some hate it, that's what I've discovered, personally I like it, its rare, fast and sounds fantastic, however it probably cant compete with f12 or vanquish as a gt for long drives, this is an ongoing dilemma for me, brain says f12, heart says slr, am I crazy?, anyone have personal experience driving one? it is after all probably the safest gt on the road in a crash, any comments welcome,, thanks

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Mercedes SLR McLaren ended up as the unwanted love child between Mercedes and McLaren when the Germans owned 40% of the British firm.

It seems that McLaren wanted to follow on the McLaren F1, whilst Mercedes was in unchartered territory to produce a successor to the iconic 300SL and decided to outsource the project.

Mercedes imposed many parameters in the design that went against McLaren ethos. The relation between the technical teams wasn't easy, creating delays and forced Gordon Murray to walk away from it in the end. The production figures didn't match expectation either, so both parties were unhappy.

The SLR is a bit of a monster, not at all in the McLaren mould, IMO. I saw many prototypes trucked at night from Woking to Stuttgart, so I knew the car well before it was unveiled. Visiting Woking a couple of years ago (in 2012 actually), I couldn't find anyone at McLaren wanting to comment on it!

The SLR was at the origin of the divorce between Mercedes and McLaren, with the Germans reselling their shares and setting up their own racing team buying out Brawn. Ron Dennis took the lead at McLaren and launched their own sports car range.

I cannot comment how the car feels, drives or reacts. Now that Mercedes has successively launched its AMG SLS, the SLR looks like an orphan.

3. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I would take it over any new GT car as its an even to drive especially the roadster. The sound is intoxicating and it still feels scary fast and pulls hard at highway speeds.

4. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Or as we like to say in the US, "the red-headed step-child". :) Definitely rare and unique but not for entirely positive reasons.

To the OP, if it's the SLR or the F12 then it's the F12 all day long. Similar money in the used market but the F12 is massively ahead in nearly every dimension.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Where do yo go to have your SLR serviced? Parts ?

No worry on that account with the Ferrari, at least.

6. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    the slr can be serviced at most merc dealers, the dealer must have a specially trained slr tech or they wont touch it, small town dealers wont have one, but every sizable city in NA does have at least one dealer who can, making service much more available than Ferrari, not counting independent shops that is,,,

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

SLR is quite a bit heavier, I think. Almost 4k pounds I think I read.

8. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I have an SLR. Its my favorite car. Drives and sounds like a race car but has the elegance that many supercars lack. Most Mercedes dealerships in medium and larger cities can service it........and those doors!

9. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    as discussed earlier, the SLS AMG seems to be the hot modern Mercedes lately

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #10 Sandy Eggo, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    +1.
    Great and under appreciated car, most opinions are based on reading ignorant journos who spent maybe an hour "test driving" one.
    Built quality, fit and finish on a much higher plane then ANY Ferrari and that includes the F12.
    A 5k miles F12 already squeaks and rattles more then 40k SLR.
    Also, if you like the sound of a P51 Mustang flying low, you'll love the SLR.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  13. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I also have an SLS and think it is a great car. Actually more practical and usable than the SLR.
    Too me the difference can be summed up as such and take from it what you will.

The SLS was built in Germany by AMG Mercedes.
    The SLR was built in England by McLaren Racing

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't see how anyone could review a car better than he, May and Hammond. They just have "it".

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I absolutely love the SLR.

16. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    #16 ARTNNYC, Aug 8, 2016
  17. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Awesome looking, but at those prices it seems like fella could have a whole lot of lambo in the drive way.

18. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #18 Sandy Eggo, Aug 13, 2016
  19. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #19 SupercarGuru, Sep 19, 2016
    We recently just sold two great Mercedes supercars.

The Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series and the McLaren SLR 722S Roadster. Nothing is as impressive as the stealth look of the SLR 722S, but would have to agree that the SLS AMG Black Series is a more usable of the two.

The SLS Black Series is just AS rare and definitely a cheaper option...

We have seen a TON of modern day collectors pursuing the AMG Supercars and are always coming across great finds!

[email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ha!! I always thought that the M Coupe resembled Ace and Gary's car but you make a compelling argument with that example.

21. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    To the OP (GPM): You sent me a PM with questions about the SLR about a week ago. I tried replying, but got an error message that you have either blocked receiving PMs, or been a bad boy and been banned from receiving them. If you want to chat about the car, send me email.