F12 or Vanquish? | FerrariChat

F12 or Vanquish?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by GPM, Aug 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    well, I started a thread yesterday about the SLR, I've been informed by owners that cushions on the seat make a long drive comfortable, although a fantastic car, I don't like the idea of having too add anything for long drives, SO, i'm down to F12 or Vanquish, any opinions would be appreciated, the V can still be ordered new, F12 finished, if that's important,,,

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    No contest - F12.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    F12 is a much better car, and also quite a bit pricer generally speaking.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F12 wins in every category except looks imho.

5. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Vanquish I like the styling more than the F12.

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Long term value and performance go to the F12. Looks, Vanquish.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

From a friend that had one...

The F12 was designed by Ferrari, with assistance from Pinninfarina. He thinks P designed the rear of the car (good), F designed the rest... a disaster, designwise.

The Vanquish is a beauty.

8. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I here ya, however I love the F12 looks all around, granted most including myself think the Vanquish is gorgeous, in the end its not a Ferrari, this is what makes the choice somewhat difficult,,,

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Each his own...I find the rear reverse light / diffuser design the weakest part. The remainder of the rear is very nice.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If all you want is a pure GT car that will cross an entire continent fast, comfortable but above all, as stealthy as you can in a V12 supercar, get the Vanquish.

If you want a car that may be not quite as good in the stealth department (looks, noise), but once at your destination will be a stunning, agile, car to drive in the hills, look fantastic, sound properly like a supercar should...then look no further than the F12.

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    As a car to borrow for a day, the F12, as a car to borrow for a month, the Vanquish.

I believe the Aston can be had as a manual?

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Not the Vanquish.
    V12 Vantage with same engine is available with proper dog leg 1st manual.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    F12 is 2 generations ahead of the aston. Transmission alone makes the difference with ferrari dct.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #14 ryalex, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've driven numerous F12's and a 2015 Vanquish. F12 gearbox is better, but 2015 8 speed on Vanquish is perfectly fine, it would never both you. F12 is leagues faster. Vanquish made me feel more special. Vanquish is also one of the best looking things you can buy period. It could be hung on a wall. I'd go F12 if speed is your thing and look at Vanquish if you care more about looks, GT characteristics, how ppl react.

16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Do you really make multi-hundred thousand dollar decisions on things like "owners told me the cushions were uncomfortable" ?

You tossed out so many options recently that are so different. Win lotto and money burning a hole in your pocket? NEED to buy a fancy car but letting what one be up to a group vote?

Give us some background on what's going on...

MB224 likes this.
  17. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I thought my post was quite clear, I'm quoting an owner who bought cushions to place on the stock SLR seat to make long drives comfortable enough to take them, this is when I decided that the car was not designed for what I want, so I put the put this question out there, and have too say i'm surprised at the amount of support for the Vanquish, anyway no purchase yet, watching F12 prices drop, and shocked at some aston price I saw just today,, in autotrader.ca there 3 2016 Vanquish volante for under $225k, that's Canadian dollars!

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #18 tervuren, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    The Vanquish is getting more support, due to the fact you state not enough cushioning as a reason not to buy a car.

The F12 is to some extent, Ferrari's reaction to the brutal threat Lexus offered with the LFA. Each front engined Ferrari had been getting bigger and more comfortable. The brash little Japanese car shows up and runs circles around the big 599 on race tracks, lighter, smaller, and a *lot* more downforce relative to weight. Ferrari either had to put up with getting beat, or answer with a smaller harsher faster car.

The 599 is a closer vehicle to the Aston. The F12 is a return to what Ferrari should of been building in the first place, a brash lean mean spirited punch you in the nuts Italian stallion. You make it pretty obvious the F12 experience is not for you in your OP, so we come out and say the Aston. :)

If cost is an issue, while you are waiting for prices to come down, you could get a Jaguar XKR, replace the center section mufflers with a more open setup, and have something almost as nice as the Aston, but at a fraction of the price.

I've put 10,000 miles on my Jaguar 4.2L XK in 10 months time, fantastic comfortable yet decently fast daily driver. I think your tastes would favor the 2010+ 5.0L with the more modern shift control design, newer LED's external lights and brasher bodywork. I went with the older less powerful simpler car with a simpler engine as my primary focus was a daily driver.

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Have you considered a McLaren or i8?

Having had a 599 and driven an F12, they're very similar in many ways, and a 599 is far more fierce than any Aston. I personally think the F12 doesn't get power to the ground well, and both it and the 599 had hi polar moments of inertia. Even so, I could leave much for dead in my 599. Neither it nor an F12 are intense enough for me anymore.

The F12 DSG >>599 Graziano F1>>ZF autobox in Astons.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Where do you go from there?

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Definitely any McLaren over the i8.

Lee, as a 650S owner, how could you even suggest he consider the i8? Sheesh. Why don't you just recommend a Tesla while you're at it?

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #22 Sfumato, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Still looking. Speciale, Huracan, GT3RS, McL 650 all far closer than the 12's, either F or L. I've had a lot of fun with all of them. 675 fun, but not worth premium either, and I've never been shy about whizzing money away on this crap. Haven't tracked the 650 yet, but I'm liking it pushed really hard.

Astons pretty but like a really fast SL. Californias and FF are just, umm, errr,.... TdF is a Classiche certified Mansory thing. Apertas not worth premium, or fellating dealer to get one.

I've had serious old stuff, and it's just old. So jaded.
    OK, try a Tesla. The quest is all over the map for the OP. An SLR is not really claimed by McLaren nor MB. I've driven a couple, and other than nice exhaust (my wagon has better), it had all the emotional pull of a damp washcloth. A CF car that is nearly as heavy as an SL Black. Oh well, I've pizzed off enough people in one post I think :) At least I've owned/driven all the stuff I'm muttering about.

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I think this depends on who you are and what you're accustomed to driving. Up until recently, my daily drivers had always had manual transmissions. Now I'm driving a Maserati with the same ZF 8HP70 transmission found in the Vanquish (albeit, not mounted in a transaxle arrangement), and even in the Manual/Sport mode, it's never truly satisfying. The AMG Speedshift DCT in my wife's little GLA is far superior.

And while I can live with this in a "budget" sports sedan, it would bother me to no end in a $290k high performance GT.

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    My Vanquish arrives in late September. The F12 outperforms, but I prefer the look and feel of the Aston. Hard to go wrong here. Vanquish depreciation is monumental.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #25 El Wayne, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If intensity is your thing, I think you might have gone with the wrong McLaren.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login