Test drove a Tesla | FerrariChat

Test drove a Tesla

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Jo Sta7, Aug 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I test drove a Tesla P90D today for a couple of hours. Wow. Feels so different from a regular car. Car felt very planted, handled great. Braking is very different from a regular car in that if you let your foot off the gas it brakes itself and quite severely. I used the actual brakes maybe 6 times during the whole test drive. Engage ludicrous made and the acceleration is EPIC. 30-70 takes a blink of an eye. The sensation of speed is different in that there's no engine noise or vibration, almost feels like a ride at an amusement park. I was consistently going 20 mph higher than I thought. The gadgets are amazing as you can probably imagine. Overall, if a Tesla is a sign of the future then the future will be pretty great. I give it 9/10.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Now that you've planted that seed, I would start worry about being rear-ended in tight traffic if/when I ever drive one.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I adjusted to the feel of it very quickly.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I also should mention the salesman (or ownership advisor they call them) was great. Super laid back, helpful, not pushy.

5. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    The brake lamps come on with regenerative braking, even if your foot is not on the brake pedal. The guy behind you has a clue you are slowing down.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That feature is going to be frustrating to other drivers following a Tesla who are going to think a nanny driver is at the wheel. Grrrrrr. Just like drivers who hit the brakes unnecessarily or slow down to shift gears. Guess it is a technology thing that will work itself out in time.

7. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I think the Tesla salespeople get paid salary with almost zero commission, so that's probably why. :)

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Got one for a weekend test, loved the 1st 2 hours too.
    Have a heavy foot and on my commute back from Downtown realized the performance was not the same anymore.
    Battery charge drops together with performance it seems.
    By Sunday I was already bored with that thing, cheap interior belonging to $50k car not $130k.
    Went home and ordered S8 Plus, very happy now with that old and outdated technology.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To be honest that was my biggest fear. In the days following I'm not sure if the car stuck with me enough to justify an $1800 a month payment. There's a lot of options in that bracket. And the interior is absolute rubbish except for the functionality of that wonderful iPad like screen.