bmw 850 ci , worth the squeeze or pass | FerrariChat

bmw 850 ci , worth the squeeze or pass

Discussion in 'Other German' started by sasso1977, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    i am a car junkie who wants to buy every car i have ever liked. SOOOO, i am just getting over a frenzied search for a low priced and rather pristine porsche 928, that yielded mixed results , nice examples are going for big money, and not so nice examples present maintenance headaches i rather not deal with.SOOOOO moving on , i am currently fixated on another childhood dream car. The bmw 8 series, preferably an 850 (v12) i love the lines of the car.and the look still holds up against newer cars. prices are very reasonable for decent looking examples 15-20 k. Now if anyone can help me out here, are these cars reasonably not horrible to maintain? ( and i don't mean $$ wise, i have gone thru a who's who of high maintenance vehicles , 2005 max coupe , 2008 AM vantage,porsche panamera turbo-dont the believe the bulletproof rep, the twin turbo V8 porsche engine goes thru more oil than gas.)
    My question is if i am ready to spend what is necessary to keep it in good condition, will it or will it not leave stranded on 125th street in harlem on a busy friday afternoon, as the Mas coupe did.???any experiences or info on these cars will be appreciated. No one i know has ever had one. My only Bmw crazy friend is stuck on 3 series models , he has 8 of 'em .( and P.S.
    De'niro drove one in that movie with brando, i forget the name…but it is a really classy vehicle.

2. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
  3. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    thanks for the sites , but I've checked dedicated sites , and of course there are 650 threads on all the things that can go wrong. i little scary . on this site most ferrari guys have gone thru a lot of cars and might have good insights.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I wouldn't bother with an 850ci if you can get an 850csi. The csi is the rarer, faster, better car. An M car without the M badge.

5. Sciotoboy

Sciotoboy Karting

Jan 26, 2014
    New Albany,Lake Nona
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    #5 Sciotoboy, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had my CSI for 12 years,it's been relatively trouble free.I had an 840ci before that which was also nice.They are great touring cars,I always liked the shape.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I went down this same road.

Bought a well maintained 928s4 but it still eventually got electrical gremlins. Two local shops couldnt figure it out. i sold it with the intention to get a BMW 850. Couldnt find one that I felt comfortable with at a price i felt comfortable with.

Good luck. Its a challenge.

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Unless you can find a decent deal on a csi, move on. They most definitely are not worth the squeeze. If you're in love with the car and have to have it, I'd suggest one of two things

1. Find a great looking paperweight car that doesn't run (and is cheap ;) ) buy it, wax it right up and put it in the garage. And just stare at it. It will look great!

2. Maybe find one that is a mess (suspension, engine,etc.) Replace the suspension with aftermarket, see if you can contact somebody in the BMW community that knows how to solve/fix/delete the electrical gremlins? Doubt it's possible, but you never know. And meh, this is probably a path to nowhere.

The car is beautiful inside and out, but to drive it is a huge let-down. Not worth it. At least with the porsche you can have a good amount of fun with the headaches.

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #8 Graz, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ive owned six 8 series cars. Two of them 850CSi (U.S. And Euro version). The CSI is definitely the one to have. It's tough to find them. If you're buying it merely for the beautiful styling go for an 840. By the way, I sold my 850 CSI only to buy it back 4 years later from the guy I sold it to. Always loved the styling and the CSI is the real deal. Here's a photo of mine:

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I went down the same road and did this - I owned an 850 csi a cple years ago. maybe my expectations have risen too high but I thought it was a big whatever. I'm 40 so I was in love with this car when it came out and I was googly eyed over it. owning and driving it as a 37 year old wasn't much fun. id get it and get it out of your system but id go 850 csi

10. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    thanks for all the feedback. i will post as soon as i decide which one to get. i actually found a nice 928 s4. i will keep all posted . thanks again for all the insights. ferrarichat community never lets me down. :)

11. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    your 8 series looks amazing, i see why you had to have it back.

12. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    yeah it absolutely is, but again the hunt is half the fun.

13. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    i was told by bmw fanatic friend , that between the 850 ci and 840 ci. the 840 is the one to get unless i go for a csi. 850 ci harder maintanace as it is a v12, v8 less maint.