thoughts on wrx | FerrariChat

thoughts on wrx

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rob, Aug 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm thinking of getting a new daily and need awd but don't want another truck just can't do it, want something I'm going to enjoy driving. I'm planning to go check out some wrx's soon but would like to hear some opinions on them from anyone who has owned one or knows a lot about them. Wondering if they have any reliability issues. Thanks!

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    My daughter's swim coach has one, and she loves it. The only thing she said she gets tired of is HS boys wanting to race with her. I asked about reliability - she said no issues so far. No squeakiness from the interior yet either (2 year old car).

I just got a Golf R and love it. Subaru's AWD system is probably better, but it is a lot of fun to drive.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I had a 2008 STi as my daily driver for a few years. I put on a lot of miles during that time (driving 120 miles/day for a while) yet experienced no reliability issues. My only complaints would be 1) the substandard sound system and 2) the poor quality of materials used on the interior compared to other cars in the same price range.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The WRX and STi have always been dude magnets. Aside from the Toyota Supra I've never seen a car pull more guys, especially when the guy buys it to show off to girls. Hilarious.

Regarding reliability. As far as I know, all generations have been pretty reliable. Spark plug changes are a PITA though!

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #5 Mang, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like El Wayne, I used to drive one as a dd...around 100+ miles daily for about 4 years. It was a gas! No reliability issues at all, just drove the snot out of it too. Stay 'stock' - a lot of boy racers mod up the motor and all other systems suffer.

Fun story...I ripped around Reno, Tahoe, and Carson City mainly/daily. One day I was driving over the Mt. Rose summit. There was a GT3 Porsche in front of me, it was early morning, road quiet...he tried to lose me, without driving dangerously, just aggressively, it's very twisty. I made a point to stay right behind him, safe, but always in view. At the bottom of the grade is a Starbucks, where I was headed, so was he. He saw me park, and bought my coffee :)
    Said he was amazed at the WRX, not the first time he discussed discovering they are beasts!

Mine was an '02 'bugeye' with STI BBS wheels. Loved that car and miss it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Thanks for the input all. I usually agonize over a car purchase and it takes many, many months but in a two week period I ended up buying a 17 wrx and freakin' love it! After 2 test drives I knew it was for me and made a good deal on it and it's nice to be driving something fun on a daily basis.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Friend got one, took the stupid, ugly wing off the back.
    The 18 year olds leave him alone.

Nice car. Loves it.

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    AWD masked previous chassis issues imo, but the current gen is pretty good. Engine still has tons of turbo lag and is gutless out of boost, this alone would prevent me from considering owning the car. Interior quality, chassis and engine are significantly better in the GTI. I've never owned any of them but have driven them extensively.

9. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The current WRX is a huge step forward compared to previous generations. The 2.0 motor in the WRX has proven to be more reliable than the 2.5 liter in the STi.

10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I've had a few, very fun cars.

I prefer the STi to the WRX and the locking DCCD diff is great for snow (flip it the other way for fun.)

11. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I had a '15 STi for a about a year and a half. I had no issues with mine despite upgrading to a stage 2. Personally, I wouldn't touch a used one as they've been mostly modded or abused unless you personally know the owner. The interior is very cheaply made, and if you've been used to driving german or even newer japanese cars, the creeks and rattles will annoy.
    That said, it was one of the most fun vehicles I ever owned, but I would only buy a new one if I'd have to do it again.