VW Golf R | FerrariChat

VW Golf R

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Entropy, Sep 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    wanted to toss this out for suggestions/feedback....

We want to get a small hatchback for general, around town use. My wife enjoys track days, my older daughter races, and youngest one likes a comfortable rear seat....so leaning towards a "hot hatch". (this won't be a track day car, but we all enjoy quick cars and appreciate them).

Targeted AWD so it's more useful and safe in snow/rain. Also, practically need to get an automatic since my wife will tend to avoid manual gearboxes if given the choice.

Looked long and hard at Focus RS, Subaru STI, AMG GLA45, and recently the Golf R.

I have driven ALL of them, though the Golf R was the 6 speed. All different, and fun.

Have sort of settled on the Golf R, DCC/Nav, DSG, new 2017 model. It's a bit pricey for being an overamped GTI, but the power and chassis are steps above the GTI.

Focus RS was a blast, but it's a bit rough - great for hammering around, less so for normal duties. Plus, the interior is pretty low-grade. Subaru I liked, but no auto, and the big 'ol wing sort of don't suit my wife's style. She liked the GLA45 (with the wing), but candidly it's not far off a Golf R, but is $30K more (with more gadgets) and impossible to get one.

Golf R's have been in short supply, but found a local dealer who took my money and got us a car that's inbound now.

Question - any opinions here on the Golf R, or my decision logic? (I have perused the VW boards, it's definitely a tuner-oriented place. Nice folks, good knowledge, but different goals. I absolutely used to be one of them...)

Thanks

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Great car. I drove one the other day, flogged hell out of it. Amazingly competent, balanced, and refined. I've driven a few over years, and this was Mk 7. 5k miles so broken in. Loved it.
    Regular GTi with PP pretty good and cheaper, but R is great. Couple little mods, and it'd be crazy, but dead stock it's really nice. Prefered it to AMG CLA45. That good.

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback!

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I just bought a 17 wrx not sti and absolutely love it and they are offering a delete on the 17 sti wing but I am not sure what the transmission options are. They do offer the auto on the reg wrx. I have not driven any of the competition but I have been very happy with the wrx so far love the handling and it has just the right amount of power to be fun but keep me out of trouble.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I saw a video of Chris Harris driving one and he loved it.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Owned the previous generation GTI for 4 years (I had planned on keeping it less than two). Of every car I ever owned I would rank it #1 in terms of the best blend of fun to drive + practicality + under the radar + cost efficient (good milage, inexpensive to purchase). The single thing I didn't like about it was the FWD and wet roads--the torque steer was very much well controlled, but it just couldn't put the power down. I was set to move up to an R and that was during the changeover in models, and they were unobtanium. Ended up with a 911 C4S. Still, I can easily see myself in an R at some point.

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    thanks for the thoughts.

On the Subaru, I'd agree the WRX is actually a nice car. I have not driven an auto WRX, but other Subaru auto boxes I was less impressed with; they're not "bad", actually about as good as any, but we've probably been spoiled now by the DCT/DSG boxes. eg. we love our Cayenne TTS, but man that regular automatic gearbox is just a weak link in an otherwise brilliant vehicle.

On the Golf R "unobtanium-ness", yeah I experienced it, and I know some dealers are attempting to do market premiums. I guess they have one car people might be willing to pay up for. I think I was both lucky and hit good timing, the car we wanted should be at the dealer this week, am going to send my wife over to sniff test it and will probably take it.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Chris Harris mentioned that the AWD in the R shifts more of the drive to the rear wheels most of the time. He was drifting it around with no problems.

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I have a 16 Golf R as my DD. Bought it last year.

It's an amazing car. I love it even more now than when I bought it. Just the right size, can still fit the two kids in the back, hatchback is great utility, interior is almost Audi quality, stereo is great, and I love the blue color.

I used to have a couple of Evos, and while I loved them, the R is in a different league as far as refinement is concerned.

Now if I can just stop picking up nails in my tires... left a couple of days ago for a weekend trip, stopped for gas, nail in the sidewall... had to have the car flatbedded back to Houston because there was not a single 235/35-19 tire within 500 miles. And this is the second tire that I've had to replace in less than 10K miles. :( But, of course, it's not the car's fault...

10. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I just got an R for my DD. Really like it. Like mbrandonmotorcars, I had a Evo as well.

Only had the R for a few weeks, but like it. Doesn't feel as sure footed as the Evo, and the shifter is a bit ropey, but really like it so far.

Your logic seems sound to me.

11. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    My brother has a R as a daily driver and I've had the opportunity to drive it a few times. Coming out of my daily (ISF) the Golf is amazing to toss around. Power isn't astounding but I'm coming out of something with 415bhp and RWD. Love the AWD and am a bit envious of that in the winter months around here.

I was much more impressed than I thought I would have been with it. Highly recommend.

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a Golf R and it was a lot of fun and easy to live with. I am not sure how competitive it would be. I have no racing experience l though I did run a few Lotus cars a while back. The R cars were hard to get when I found mine.

I also had a GTI before that which was also fun but the R is much more car. I look at both cars as a poor mans BMW M3, not as good but a lot of fun anyway. All German cars of mine were reliable. I cannot remember any problems with the car.

Happy hunting

Lee

13. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    thanks again for all the feedback.

I picked up a new (early 2017) Golf R Monday night....I even had the dealer take my hot-rodded Fiat Abarth in trade.

As for the Golf R, I'm actually very impressed so far. It's well put together and drives really well. I might contemplate a simple ECU tune, but 300hp as it sits is relatively stout.

Comparing it directly to the Focus RS and Subaru (which I've driven),the VW is really refined (which is not a typical VW comment). They did a nice job of making the package work, and even the infotainment/electricals/sport settings are done quite nicely.

Have not pounded on it yet, and probably won't, as this is the "family scooter" and my wife has been driving it since we brought it home.

So far, I'd highly recommend as "the" pick in this segment, though to be clear, I'm not in the target demo for the RS/STI/R cars to start with.

14. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Enjoy!

This weekend I am adding a short shifter, upgraded shifter bushings and the billet dogbone insert. Hoping that takes care of the vagueness in the shifting, But so far that has been my only quibble with the car.

15. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Added the short shifter (Spulen) the solid bushings (Torque Solutions) and the billet dog bone mount (034 Motorsports) and it made a world of difference in the shifting of the car.

All of it was done in 90 minutes or less. Very easy job.