Self Driving Cars - Have you driven one lateley? | FerrariChat

Self Driving Cars - Have you driven one lateley?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Sep 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Maybe I should say "driver assisted".

My 2017 MB S550 has so many features its scary, and I know this is only the beginning.

For instance:

1) Auto-Cruise. This feature lets you set the cruise at 75 and it will speed up and slow down with traffic. Even if a car cuts in front of you it will slam on the brakes. Wonderful for crowded freeways. It works so well I can drive from San Diego to LA and never touch the brake or the gas pedals. Now I find myself ignoring the car in front of me because I know the car will self drive. I can text, drink some water, read emails, etc in heavy traffic. No, these are not good habits, but you migrate to them when the car is doing the driving. When I jump in one of my other vehicles it almost seems I'm handicapped by not having the same features.

2) Auto-steer. This feature keeps you in the lane for short periods of time, even if you let go of the steering wheel. If you start to drift over a line without your turn signal on it will bring you back into your lane. While not as reliable as the Auto-cruise it is pretty good. Now one doesn't have to worry about lane drift and can safely text and drive (just kidding but it does lead to that).

3) Top down video. Whoever thought of stitching the feed from the eight cameras to appear that you are looking down at the car from about 20' up showing the surroundings and your car was pretty smart. No more worrying about curbs or objects, behind, in front, or to the side. Perfect parking all the time.

If you haven't experienced these, drop by a Mercedes dealer (or whoever else has them) and try them out.

Yes I know I've made several bad driving habit comments, but that is what these features promote.

Comments?

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I just got a 2015 E63 wagon, and it too has all of those features. It's funny, a week ago I would have told you they were worthless, but not I can't ever see going without.

In addition to the list above, my MB will also self park. Again, a week ago I would have said, I can parallel park with the best of them, but yesterday I decided to see if it would help. I took some friends to lunch, and we found a pretty small spot on a busy street. The automation nailed it. Much better than I could have myself, especially with this being a new to me car. It even pulled itself out of the spot once we were done with lunch. :)

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have an ML63 and I agree...you get spoiled by those features