Winter Beater <4k | FerrariChat

Winter Beater <4k

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PaulK, Sep 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Guys,

I need to get a winter beater, and I do not want to spend more than 4k... Ideally I want to be under 3k but I don't know if that is possible.

What do you think? It does not have to be fun to drive. It just needs to be reliable enough to get me through the winter. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Old Subaru wrx

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Isuzu Trooper.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    fleabay

tons of cheap stuff......

set of blizzaks and your good to go

5. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Old diesel Mercedes.

Scott

6. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Any Saab in decent condition.

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interesting responses. Some I would not have thought of, like a Subaru. I would be concerned about their transmissions. But some good suggestions none the less. Thank you!

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Getting an old diesel Mercedes to start reliably in Michigan could be a challenge, unless you have a good block & fuel line heater...

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Honda Civic or Accord.

10. Bean_328i

Bean_328i Rookie

Oct 24, 2008
    #10 Bean_328i, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Be careful with older Subarus, they're notorious for head gasket failures (2.5L).

I have an '02 Nissan Pathfinder with a set of Blizzaks that I use as a winter beater. Picked it up for $350 a couple years ago, put a bit of work into it and it's still going strong with close to 200k now. They are prone to rust and terrible on fuel but mechanically bulletproof and unstoppable in the snow.

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Jeep XJ, with $4k you ought to be able to get one that isn't rotten up to the door handles. Older Subies and failed head gaskets are synomous, Saab and decent condition is a contradiction in terms. Nothing will punish you more than an elderly MB oil burner in bitter cold.
    Old Japanese front drivers a good choice too, if you have the stomach for such cars.

12. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    4wd Ford Escape. Drove one through upstate NY winters and it performed like a champ.

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Are you looking for 4wd? Beater XJ Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, older Explorer or Expedition, Escape. S10 Blazer. All should be easy to find under 4K and will get the job done. If you find an Explorer try to find a V8. The SOHC 4.0 has timing chain issues.

14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    +++++++ a million

I've owned 4 XJ Cherokees

Simple. Easy 4x4. Cheap. Can't beat it. Won't get stuck in anything under 7ft of snow

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    When I lived in Toronto, same weather for the most part as Michigan. I took over my parents BMW 325IX, excellent car in the snow. Parents bought it new in 1989, to replace our full sized Jeep Wagoneer. By 1999, we had put over 400k kilometers on it and it was still going strong. My second choice is the VW Corrado VR6, I've had three for winter beaters. My third choice is a 944S. The Corrado is a little slower then a 944, but has front wheel drive, makes it better in the snow. The problem with the 944 when its snowing and the roads are not cleared yet, its not as good as my other options.

What I like about the Corrado, it doesn't look as dated as most cheap cars. They have pretty nice leather seats when optioned that way. Its pretty sporty. The only reason the BMW wins, all wheel drive, its like a rally car when it snows.

16. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    AWD Saturn Vue ---- 2005 6cyl is a Honda engine.

17. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Any Audi with Quattro and winter tires. Unbeatable in the snow. Ask me how I know. :D

18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    4wd xj with real winter tires. Good snow tires can be had for cheap.

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    If you go with a japanese car try to get a manual tranny the autos in the older ones could be weak points.

20. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    We had one in 1986 for a short time over winter. My Dad was involved with a company that had offices in Reno next door to the Audi/Porsche dealer at the time. One of the executives left the company and had a lease on a Quattro. Instead of returning it. My Dad took over the lease. I liked it but at the time felt it drove too much like my friends new at the time VW Scirocco. Back then didn't appreciate it. Now Id love to find a mint example as a collector piece.

21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Full size 2nd generation Tahoe (2000-2006) with some miles on it. These things don't even blink doing 250-300K miles. Very rust resistant and they go through the snow like nobodies business. And, you can use it to pull trailers and do real work. 16-18MPG. Several on our local Craigslist in your price range...

22. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    I bought a '99 2.8 5spd from the original owner few years ago, dealer maintained cream puff, couldn't ask for a better winter beater. Actually it's such a nice car I don't even like using the term beater to describe it.