1999-2006 Land Cruiser/LX470 | FerrariChat

1999-2006 Land Cruiser/LX470

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by LI2782, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Anyone have experience with the older Land Cruiser/LX470? Was in the market for a newer Cayenne or LR4 as a cross-country road trip cruiser, but now we are leaning towards one of these and hopefully a sporty toy next summer. They seem to be supremely reliable - and they should be with the prices even high mileage ones command. What do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea, why? Other options would be Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, etc - the usual suspects.

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm curious, as well... Apart from fuel economy, I've not read any negatives about the LC and LX.

3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I had an 01 LX470 and 97 LX450. Ultra reliable indeed and comfortable. I didn't like the LX470 handling dynamics when pushed. There was some sort of electronic suspension control that was so slow in reacting. I was faster to react to what the vehicle was doing than the electronic control system. The result was that my manual inputs were being contradicted by the system. I couldn't turn it off.

I've had 3 Cayennes since then. I feel much more confident on the Cayennes that I sometimes turn off PSM for a bit of fun on snow.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    I've read that the electronic suspension is the only possible expensive failure point between the two truck. So funny enough I'm leaning towards the LC anyway. Cayenne would be nice but the bigger size of the LC would be a big benefit. Still yet to check one out in person. How that thir row folds seems to take a ton of usable space away from the back.