1993 500SL or "I might have messed up" | FerrariChat

1993 500SL or "I might have messed up"

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ATSAaron, Oct 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #1 ATSAaron, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I was out riding bicycles with my 9 year old. When he says "hey dad, there is an old Mercedes behind my friend Ryder's barn."

I spoke to Ryder's dad and he explained the car was his father's and that it has been sitting for 8 or 9 years. I looked it over and saw it has quite a few bumps and bruises, but I'm crazy and when I see abandoned cars I think they are like puppies that need a good home. So Ross contacted his dad and they agreed to sell me the car for $750.

Mice and rats live/lived in the engine bay and ate some of the wiring. But it's doesn't matter because this car still has the "biodegradable" harness. In fact I think that is why it was parked.

Aaron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #2 ATSAaron, Oct 10, 2016
    So yesterday we drove down to Ross's place and drug the Mercedes to it's new home. We washed the exterior and found more dents than previously thought. We threw away the gross floor mats and vacuumed the carpet. The interior cleaned up pretty well. My neighbor loaned me a deep cycle battery from his bass boat to test some of the electrical stuff out.

Here is the list of problems and potential solutions so far:

Engine harness eaten/disintegrating: found used updated Dephi harness for $400 on ebay

Top won't retract - probably related to DS window problem. If windows won't move, neither will the top.

Driver's side window will not move - need to check fuses in trunk, check for power at switch, disassemble door and inspect motor.

Driver's side power seat doesn't move -

Both bumpers need to be repainted, but I think the other body dents are pretty easy for a PDR guy.

Snake living in the chassis. I saw him reach down for a second last night, then go back up into the underside of the car. It has a white belly. Probably a ****ing copperhead too. I'm hopinh he finds a new home as I am not sure how to get rid of him.

3. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice thought to want to save the car :)

Have fun restoring it!!

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #4 ATSAaron, Oct 10, 2016
    tantumaude likes this.
  5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Interior still looks pretty decent. I'm sure you're in for some bucks getting it up to speed, especially with the electronics. Budget 2k for the top seals and switch issues right off the bat. Guarantee you the seals are leaking. Have them all pulled and refurbed rather than hunt down the "bad ones" you'll thank yourself later. Good luck!

Does it still run?

6. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    i have an r129 SL600 myself, great cars. I also had to fix the wiring harness in mine (degraded)...4k to replace them all! (bought the car for 7 lol)

good luck with the restoration, go to BenzWorld for help with these they have great resources. Victor at restoreyourmercedes also does great work for these old Benzes

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have seen people use gasoline fumes to flush out snakes in bushes. Maybe an pan of gasoline under the car overnight would send the little critter crawling away. No doubt he was there for the mice so if they go away maybe he won't come back.

The top may be more troublesome though. Once the actuators start to go it is like playing whack-a-mole.

8. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I'd say for $750 you got a great deal. Hopefully the CIS system won't give you any issues from sitting for so long. Looking forward to seeing you bring it back on the road.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    for 750 all day and everyday

NYC Fred likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dumbest thing MB ever did.

11. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #11 ATSAaron, Oct 12, 2016
    Thanks for the votes of confidence. I turned the motor over with a rachet and a socket on the front crank pulley. It was not seized. Last night I decided to see if the starter was locked up. I turned the key and the car started right up! It runs like it has a bad MAF sensor or an air leak, but that's too be expected when you see the condition of the wiring harness.

I also pulled apart the driver's door to find the power window problem. The gear inside the motor was basically rusted solid. I tried to WD40 it, but it would not come back to life. I ordered a used motor assembly off ebay for $71 shipped.

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The fact that it runs makes it worth $750 and then some!

Congrats on your barn find.

Good Luck on your snake problem..... lol

I'd suggest draining and flushing the fuel tank, replace the filter, and add new fuel before running the engine too long, too many unknowns in that tank that may make for bigger problems later.

Speaking of problems , the hydro roof cyl are infamous for leaking, and as mentioned above, when one goes, they all seem to go shortly thereafter. So, open the top manually and leave it open or budget for some $$$$ for parts / rebuild kit / etc!

We have an ex-mb tech on staff , if there is anything we can do to help with your project, shoot me an e-mail! ( Including a through cleaning, deionize , etc ! )

Steve

[email protected]

13. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    good luck! love to see these rebuild/back from the dead threads!

14. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Thanks Steve. And You called that right. I managed to trick the top controller into thinking the DS window was already down (by manually lowering it with the motor removed) and started to initiate the top retraction process. It unlatched both front and rear a few times, and then stopped.

Then fluid came pouring out of the DS sun visor. Confirm leaky top cylinders. I pulled the offending latch cylinder and disassembled it. The seals are completely degraded. For now we will operate the top manually until we verify the condition of the other mechanical stuff.

Aaron

NYC Fred likes this.
  15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Hey I called first! ;)

You can get them all refurbed with teflon seals for about 500 dollars, or buy the kits and DIY. Do them all. They're probably leaking by the rear wheel wells as well. You'll probably have a bad or loose top switch in there somewhere as well. I'm still trying to fix mine as we speak. It's 90 percent there, just needs an adjusted or replaced switch. I've been doing it manually all summer. Sounds like your top module is most likely still good which is a plus.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I am interested to see how changing the wiring harness goes. You see SL600 for sale often and they are cheap. Not as cheap as this nearly-free 500 of course, but cheap.

If changing it doesn't turn out to be the giant PITA I have read it is, who knows maybe put a $6k V12 in the garage as a project for me too.

17. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Great find.
    I hope you get rid of the snake

18. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #18 ATSAaron, Oct 13, 2016
    Good news. My neighbor mentioned spotting a snake in their yard on Monday. This is only the second snake they have seen in two years, so there is a very good chance that was my snake. Still, that first trip under the car is going to be scary.

Everyone is right about the leaks. There are twelve hydraulic cylinders and I think all 12 are leaking. Several puddles have formed under the car after trying to lower the top. The seals are old, soft and crumbly, so when one lets go it's a real gusher.

A google search found a company in Germany that sells seals, not o-rings, real seals. With the weak euro the total cost was about $125 shipped.I still need to order the approved fluid.

SL R129 | Hydraulikzylinder Dichtsätze (Verdeck) | Produkte für Mercedes | MJ Produkte Shop - Technische PKW Lösungen

I bought some other stuff for it too:
    left front turn signal
    turn signal bulb socket
    PS seat switch
    seat controller
    DS window motor
    and a 3500mg industrial ozone air purifier

Total spent so far $1574

I wish I had joined benzworld sooner. Those guys have figured out the W140 V8 harness works just fine in the SL. That would have saved me about $200 on the harness.

Aaron

19. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    #19 ATSAaron, Oct 13, 2016
  20. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    It runs!!

I got the newer engine harness over the weekend and installed it today (took about 1.5 hours). I put in ten gallons of fresh gas to dilute the old gas. But as some of you predicted the old gas and general crude clogged up the fuel system. I got a new filter ($12) but she wouldn't restart after installing the new filter. I went to remove the fuel pumps for testing when an internet search revealed they are identical pumps run in series. Well the second pump is still working fine. I drained off the bottom 3 gallons of gross gas and put it all back together with one working fuel pump. It started right up. I cleaned up most of my mess and went for a drive around the block.

It's fast for a 4000lb car. Like stock 328 fast. It's quiet and rides like a cloud. Pretty pimp ride for $1722 spent so far.

This weeks goals:
    fix the DS power window
    get rid of the non-stop seat belt chiming

Aaron

21. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    What year did they start doing those?

22. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    The bad harness years are 1993-1995. I got one dated 2000 off ebay. It also had a delphi tag on it. It was in like new condition and install was pretty easy.

Aaron

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    So far seems like you lucked out and one heck of a deal, awesome!

24. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    It's getting better. The AC actually works. The heater valve solenoid was stuck in the on position. I removed it (one electrical clip and four phillips screws) and basically beat it on the garage floor a few times and it freed up. Now the heater turns off and the AC blows cold.

Aaron

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Damn this is awesome. Keen to follow this. For $750 and scouting ebay for parts this will be a good buy.