Boomers aging out of sports cars? | FerrariChat

Boomers aging out of sports cars?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by energy88, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    They contradict themselves all over the article.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I am 71 years old and I still buy and drive sport cars. In fact I collect them.

I do see my fellow Boomers going for automatic transmissions. This I believe is caused by two factors. The new automatic transmissions are better and much faster and they are tired of shifting.

I still like a manual over automatic and I am still upset at Ferrari and Lamborghini that manuals are no longer available. I wish I had kept my 360 Ferrari for that reason.
    Fortunately there are still several good sports car that you can purchase with a manual.

best

Lee

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Change always happens slower than predicted. I had people tell me Harley was toast 20 ago because Boomers would get tried of bugs in their teeth. Just recently, Harley announced their first layoffs.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Without reading the article;

Boomers prefer comfort, so wider/softer seats, auto trans and cold A/C are important. Classic and vintage sports cars don't have the latter.

6. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I'm on the Gen X range, but I'm also not as interested in sports cars any more. I view today's sports cars as more compromised vehicles: too fast for the streets and too soft/not enough safety features for the track. Therefore, I prefer more bespoke track/race cars for the track and sporty SUVs/wagons for the street. Today's SUV or sport wagon is fast enough for the streets and have lower handling limits to make it fun at lower speeds. Yet, I can take more friends, family, and gear as needed.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Boomers aging out of sports cars?

Does not apply to Ferrari. The older you get the easier they are to afford per Enzo's adage.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    +1 Nailed it.