Lancer Evolution | FerrariChat

Lancer Evolution

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Sterling Sackey, Oct 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#1 Sterling Sackey, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wanted to share my latest find, this one is particularly exciting for me... a 100% stock, factory fresh, low-miles Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. I've had ambitions to own one of these cars since they first arrived on US shores in 2003.

This is a Lancer Evolution IX, the last based on the CT9A chassis. Evo 9's were only produced for one model year, 2006. 99% of these cars now have high miles and/or countless modifications, that being said I'm confident this is in the top 1% nicest Evo 8's or 9's in the country!

This thing is incredible to drive. Between the super short rally-style gearing, the old-school turbo lag, the telepathically sensitive steering, the mechanical noises coming from the active center differential... I didn't realize how much "rally" these street versions had in them. It's FAST too, genuinely fast, and the power delivery is savage. This car would show most supercars its tail lights on a bumpy canyon road, I'll say that.

It's a shame Mitsubishi has cancelled the Evo, although the newer Evo X was never quite as hardcore as these cars. Hopefully Mitsu's sale to Nissan will result in the line being brought back.

Below is a full photoset, hope you enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sterlingsackey/albums/72157674247271982
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    The car looks mint! I really regret the fact that i sold my Evo 8 MR 400. It was a fantastic car. I used it almost everywhere. Road trips, track days and of course in daily use. Then i decided that i wanted a totally track car for competing in Time Attack series, so yes, i totally dismantled it, tuned it, racing and after a 5 years ownership and two winning titles, i sold it for a totally stock Evo 6 Tommi Makinen edition. This is a really great and rare car.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The Evo VI TME is probably the most desirable Evo ever made, so I'd say you did ok. ;)

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    How timely. I just drove a stock Evolution RS. I forgot those existed. Fun car, wind down windows and all.

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, maybe the best choice that i've made about an Evo. How many kms/miles has your EVO 9. The car looks like new. It is very beautiful.

6. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Cool car. Enjoy. I had an X and drove the hell out of it. Poor thing had a tough 3 years with me.

7. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    What a beast - and very rare to find one all-stock Congrats!

8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

14,300 miles.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I think Renault, (Ghosn) who calls the shots at Nissan will make that decision. They won't want a competitor.

10. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I have a slightly modified Evo 10. Bought it new in 2008 and drive it every chance I get. Horrible in traffic but it's amazing in the mountain roads of Oregon.

11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Luckily the Evo is not a direct competitor to anything Nissan makes. They can let the GT-R tech trickle down and have a fairly easy job of making another Evo.

12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I got the chance to ride in this car on Friday and it is, well, yes, a beast!

13. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Is it for sale? Asking price? (feel free to DM me if necessary)

I had a mint very low mileage Evo 9 MR a few years ago, and regret selling it. I concurrently had an Evo 10 MR as well, which I tracked the heck out of (and daily drove), but it didn't feel as special as the 9.

I'd love to have another one. But I only want a low mileage unmodified car.

14. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Gray market Evos were being imported to US all along. Evo IV was the best ever.

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

There might be some in the USA but they certainly aren't legal!

16. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #16 ProRallyCodriver, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Many more than some, hundreds. Any given rally race in late 90s into late 2000s would have several. Here in NE US, the Irish would be half the entrylist full of Evos. The entire podium here.

Rally New York ClubRally 2001 Final Results, Rally Racing News

TAD Motorsport made a living in the US running Evos here. And the factory Hyundai team ran Evo drivetrains. Nobody cared if they were here legally.

My job flew me to an east coast rally to pick up a street EvoIV in 2002 being delivered by TAD. I was to drive it cross country to Seattle to pick up my boss at airport to prepare stagenotes for Olympus rally. TAD delivered me a RHD car on a different Evos license plates and on gravel rallytires 12 hours behind schedule. They said "don't get pulled over." Nobody knew if gravel rally tires would make it cross-country. By the time I hit N Dakota, I was flat out and sideways over Cascades to pick up the bossman on time.

Here is me giving my kid a ride a couple months ago in a RHD Evo IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JdD2m0OriQ

17. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I love the evo'S.
    I had an evo 9 GSR which I sold and now own a 6.5 and and Evo 8.

Both fully done up and would put accelerate most supercars up to 280 ��

Both in orange ��

18. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    #18 3604u, Nov 8, 2016
  19. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    #19 3604u, Nov 8, 2016
    Agent 6.5 ��
    Shared between me and a Friend who passed away . He brought this car back from UK where he was studying .
    Crashed in a 997 Twin turbo pushing 1400bhp ( engine build by the ekanoo Guys ).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Cool! It looks like you have a future motorhead in the passenger seat!

21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Great cars. I had a few WRXs and STis in the 2000's. Finding a stock and low mileage car has to be nearly impossible.

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Yes, finding a stock STi is the only thing harder than finding a stock Evo.

23. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    I still have and drive (winter conditions mostly) a 1G DSM AWD 4G63T. As for being low miles, its on 4th engine rebuild and transmission recently rebuild w/ EvoIII bits and double syncros.

Rallyracing both Evos and STis, the Evos seemed to suffer more electrical gremlins and Sti more gearbox woes. Subarus fly far better than Evos. Subaru faster in twisties, Evos on the straights. And Evo giuys love the anti-lag. kapow. kapow, kapow.

24. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Very nice find on the non-molested Evo!

25. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#25 Sterling Sackey, Apr 22, 2017