Car weight gain for US market | FerrariChat

Car weight gain for US market

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Jo Sta7, Oct 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Does anyone have an idea on what the typical weight gain for a car coming into the US market vs Euro market is? I'm specifally curious as to if anyone knows if US spec Ferraris (including Laferrari) are still 100-200 pounds heavier than Euro cars.

Also, what exactly contributes to such weight gain?

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Very few cars are designed only for the European market and a good bit of the weight for impact protection is "designed in". That is, metal thickness and shaping that is done to provide crash protection is in there, but it isn't different from Europe to the US.

For that reason it is very difficult to determine what the weight penalty is for the higher US crash standards.

There may be smaller things, like airbags or knee bolsters, but that isn't where the weight is, most of the added weight is in the substructure and that is very difficult to figure out.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I know the the 5-mph bumper law we have here adds weight front & rear. The bumper beams have to be made much more beefy to take a low-speed impact and not be damaged.

Door safety beams add weight, I believe America is unique in mandating those as well. America doesn't generally allow super lightweight seats, so USA-version designs are often much more "robust" and heavy for USA cars. USA customers also tend to also like powered seats which adds weight.

Extra airbags can add some weight. I wouldn't be surprised if the USA cars also have larger reservoirs for windshield fluid, larger fuel tanks sometimes, etc.

Just a few possibilities.

Edit: To answer your first question, I'm not sure on the Ferraris, but I know magazines have tested Euro-spec Huracans to be 200 lbs lighter than USA-spec cars.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It seems to me, after doing some digging, that it affects certain brands more than others. Lambos seem to get especially beefy for US homologation. Alfa's 4C added 100 kg's for the US Market. Mclarens don't seem to add much weight at all, perhaps that's due to the super strong carbon tub. It doesn't appear that Porsche adds much, if any weight, with US 918 WP's at about 3650 pounds. But I haven't found much recent info on Ferrari. Rumors of F40's adding 250 pounds for the US are prevalent, though, which is why I wonder.

5. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    The weight definition is also different. The tank for US weight must be, what was it, full? That is supposed to be a reason for some cars making a bigger tank optional, for free, without any tradeoffs that would make you pick the smaller one.

There are some rules about options. Can't give the weight of an unrealistic stripper in the US.

US spec cars tend to have better first-level stereos, navigation is more likely to be present. Sunroof might be standard. Manual shift might be available in Europe but not U.S.

Adds up.

Germany usually gives "Leergewicht", empty weight.