Tips on buying and selling to move up the ladder | FerrariChat

Tips on buying and selling to move up the ladder

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gimmea250swb, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I've got a couple of years before I retire from the military and I've always been interested in vintage cars. I don't know that I want to own my own auto dealership but I'd like to get my fingers wet to see where it goes. I'd like to start out small to be safe so I'm thinking about a car in the 30-50k for starters, sell it for a profit and work my way up the ladder. It sounds pretty easy, right :)

For those of you who have done this, what are your tips and tricks? Is it unrealistic to find cars on craigslist for sale by private owners, negotiate a good price and then sell them on at a national level (hemmings for example)?

What should be the minimum % profit on a car?

What are your tips and tricks?

Right now I'm stationed in Europe. Are there any cars that would be good to find here and bring back? I was thinking about an old Land Rover S1 or S2.

Any links to other threads would be appreciated.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    1. Check out the federal rules for importing cars.

2. As a long-term play, the dollar appears to be rapidly appreciating in value compared to other currencies, including the Euro. This means you may want to build up a network of Euro sellers or other finders because this could be a positive arbitrage for you. As a point of comparison, in the early '70s, I knew guys who would buy a VW in the SE, drive it to So Cal, and sell it. They would then buy a caddy, drive it back and sell. Wash, rinse, repeat.

3. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    1. Thanks! I've got this one covered. I can bring one car back a government expense with all fees paid. The car must be older than 25 years old to break the code on the EPA regulations. I'll be coming back in August '17.

2. I'll keep my eyes open. I've actually located a number of vintage dealers here in Paris and the Netherlands. I need to work on finding the best way to ship cars from Europe to the US. The first quotes I found were in the $3k range which seems very high. I like the idea of moving cars based on location. VWs in California and Caddys in the east is a great idea.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno, if your thing; but you might want to consider motorcycles. Harleys to Europe and Ducatis and BMWs to the US. :)

5. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    That's a good idea. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about bikes. It doesn't mean I can't learn.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #6 leead1, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    First thank you for your service! Semper FI.

I am assuming you mean by " moving up the ladder" you mean dollars not experience with a high performance car.

To be honest I think that my be difficult to do. Ferrari s were that way, you can drive them a few years than sell them for 10- 20% more.

You may be able to buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini cheaper in Europe and make money in the states. You may avoid taxes and transportation costs since you said the Army ships it back for you..

European cars use to be set up differently than cars in the states. Gas was different so they would smoke in the US and you had to modify them to use in the states. Euro speced cars were much less expensive than cars from the Europe factory to the us. I would check on this but I think it has changed.

Friends of mine would go to Europe for vacation, buy an exotic car there, drive it for awhile than save money when the factory shipped it back. It was called the " European pick up" program. You may want to check on that. Mercedes and Porsche did that also not just Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Good luck and welcome back.

Lee

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Historical note: It was a returning GI who brought VW to the US.

8. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Very cool. What were you bringing back? I'm a sucker for split windows and ovals. I'd consider bringing one home as a daily driver.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, it wasn't me. There was a guy in Columbus Ohio who brought the whole franchise to the US. It took a while to catch on. :)

10. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I've done some research and I'm thinking about buying a Range Rover Defender 90. The prices in the US are much higher than here in Europe. In the worst case scenario, I have a Defender 90 as my daily driver. I'm looking for a pre 91 model. What are your thoughts?

11. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I don't know what country they would be most prevalent in Europe (maybe eastern europe?), but modern land cruisers (79 series in particular) and any Landcruiser with a turbo diesel powerplant sell for big coin here in the states. If your cutoff is 25 years for the army, look into a 1991/1992 80 series landcruiser with a diesel powerplant. A pristine one brings big bucks stateside.

A Defender 90 is a good one as well. Same thing, it seems the diesel powerplants bring bigger bucks here, in states without emissions or where they are exempt.

The last big one would be the japanese supercars. Skylines and Supras. If a good deal can be had on one in Europe, they are worth importing!

12. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Thanks! I hadn't thought of a land cruiser so I'll take a look around.

13. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    A 110 is a much easier sell in most markets. Please be aware that there's a whole cottage industry of selling restamped and outright stolen Defenders for export to the USA. See Land Rover Defender Forum - Defender & Series Owners Community to get a feel of things.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have zero advice for you just wanted to say thank you for your service brotha!

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    A friend imported and sold a couple of BMW Z1s (I think that's the model; first small BMW convertible). None here and >25yrs.
    For an older car check out Alfa Montreals.

16. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Thank you sir!

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Or find me a Jaguar XJR15 and we can start at the top of the ladder. :D

18. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Oooh, cool. Another lead. Thank you so much. I found a Defender 90 but after a long conversation the guy has restamped the chassis with the VIN. I think it's legitimate but it's not worth the risk.

I'll check the Z1s. Thanks!!!!

19. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    If we can find one I can import it for you tax free!!

20. gimmea250swb

Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    There's a z1 down the street for me for sale. I checked Hemings and none are for sale. Where can I find a compromise? It's not the best looking car in my opinion.

21. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    A derivative idea would be to establish connections with some of the (many) refurbishment shops, particularly in Poland and the Czech Republic.

Three times in the past few years i've come close to buying a 1988-91 Lancia Delta Integrale...(don't ask why). Have seen a few early Quattros and a small handful of E30 M3's coming in this way; obviously they are a bit more collectible so a bit more rare and pricey. (Have not seen any/many Renault R5 or Peugeot hot rods)

The cars and parts (and detailed knowledge) are hard to find here, but restorable cars are plentiful in Europe, parts are easy to access and reasonably capable, lower-cost labor available there...the trick is then to export to the US and sell here.

All the cars I looked at followed this path, they were originally French or German market cars, had 50-80K miles on them, but via parts and labor were rebuilt into great driving cars....not original or concours perhaps, but solid. Seems like most of the Lancia's had the overkill Martini Racing logo decal kits and interior bits (all aftermarket or reproductions)

IIRC the guys selling them had sourced and imported them for about $25K all in, and were reselling here for $35K. Stronger dollar now might help.

Since the cars are +25 years, import was "easier" as long as you can prove the original car was never stolen.