Experience with Volkswagen Golf GTI | FerrariChat

Experience with Volkswagen Golf GTI

Discussion in 'Other German' started by nucley, Dec 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Hi, I am thinking of buying Golf GTI. Any personal experience would help. Thanks

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    They are fun cars that are easy to aford and live with.I bought the R version but both cars are great drivers cars and quick enough to be fun. My VWR gave me no trouble. A little less performance than theBMW M3 but still very fun with same type of handling.

Best

Lee

3. HRE_Jurrian

HRE_Jurrian Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2015
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Same here! I bought the 2017 Golf R for my wife and boy is it an absolute blast to drive. A few cars back my we had a MK6 VW GTI that we both really loved so we've had a little experience with these cars. Usually when I get a new car, there are usually a few things I point out which I did not like (MK6 GTI lumbar was a bit too aggressive for me for example), but with the 2017 Golf R, I'm really struggling to find anything wrong with it. Fun car, gets great gas mileage, it's usable because there is so much space, transporting children isn't an issue, transporting dog(s) isn't an issue, so it's all in all a very functional hatchback with the performance to make it a fun drivers car.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not exactly a GTI, but have had my A3 since 2012 and its been a great and fun car.

5. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I've had a 2015 Golf R for 19 months now and it's been totally reliable with zero issues and a kick to drive. I second all the positive comments from the other posters. I had been thinking about a GTi, but am very glad I bumped up to the R.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    #6 Scotty, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    I had a previous generation GTI--planned on having it two years, ended up having it for four years. Loved the car--immensely practical, fun to drive at legal speeds, relatively inexpensive, etc. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

The only thing I didn't like was the car's ability to put the power down in the wet. The car has essentially no torque steer (a good thing) but when wet, the tires just spin and spin (or spin, traction control cuts in, power dies, then repeat...). Of course, the R with AWD would solve that problem.

One question to ask is are you concerned about resale value, given the current diesel issues and that spilling over onto every car VW makes?

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have been thinking about replacing my Jetta with a GTI whenever VW gets their **** together and actually buys it back. You can get a brand new GTI for $6-7K off MSRP.

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    That is an insane deal of a GTI. I'm guessing they are about 33K, so that would bring it down to 27K. Wow.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  10. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am looking for one with little miles on it, where I live, they go from 19K for 2015 with 5k miles on it. Haven't test drive it yet, so I am concerning about the head space, because I am 6,5". Still not sure, if I want 3-doors or 5-doors.

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Stuck on status 15 huh? :D

It'll be a month since my docs were approved on November 18th. Seems like most people in the thread ive been following on vwvortex have gotten their official offer a little after a month following the doc acceptance.

I'm as ready as anyone but I guess I'm one of the few people that didn't think all the claims could be processed within that 10 day time window.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yep. I submitted my docs on 10/11..approved on 10/25. Nothing since then. There is no rush for me, I just want to know what is going on and what to expect.

They added online chat to the claims portal...but it doesn't work.

13. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I have had a Mark VI GTI and currently have a 2016 Golf R. You won't go wrong.

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You're definitely in the longest waiting crowd it seems like. Hopefully we'll both hear something soon.

15. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    While you should still test drive, a good friend of mine had a GTI, and he was 6'4". He loved the car. Put over 150k on it and then traded in for an A3 only for the Quattro AWD (he lives in New Hampshire and logs a lot of winter miles...

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Just bought a 2017 GTI sport version. 30k MSRP and 7k off list!¡!! Great car, light, good handling, quick and nice steering feel. And I am getting 30plus MPG!!!! Great for fun , cheap, practical transportation. And I can get two bikes in the back hatch. It also has a stiff chassis with German solid construction. Amazing bang for the buck!!!!

17. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    we have had a 17 R for about 3 months. All and all, a great package. The R is definitely a few steps up in all around capability and is done nicely. Of course, you pay $. Had a GTI loaner for a day, it was a noticeable step down, and - to me - felt definitely the same as my last (1987) GTI in terms of front-weight, front-drive.

On a related note.....

We were doing 85mph on a parkway a few weeks back and Bambi's mother decided it was a good time to cross the road. I hit a field goal, hit the deer square on (headlight to shoulder, headlight to hip) and launched it.

On one hand, the car responded well....the ACC warning flashed red just as we hit the thing, but the car was stable and I was able to recover it to the shoulder. No airbags (surprising?) and so far about $10K in damages, but the tub is perfect, the front the of car was shredded, it bent/twisted/deformed very nicely. Was surprised the deer didn't come through the windshield, but the "pedestrian friendly" design apparently worked.

Hate to see the car banged up, but it held up much better than most of the cars I see take a deer hit. Had everyone from State Police to our F car dealer to the body shop surprised - so in the safety dimension, it's proven itself. Would hate to think if I had plugged it in a 458 or our Fiat Abarth