Just bought a NSX | FerrariChat

Just bought a NSX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by leead1, Dec 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The car is a 2017 Acura NSX. Acura calls it a super car. The physical appearance is okay but it is growing on me. Where the car really shines is the performance. The car is a hybrid and the ones I have driven before left me cold because of the mediocre performance although they had great gas mileage. One hybrid claimed 98 mpg.

The Acura performance, power and handing are just amazing. I fell in love with the car after the first drive. You have to drive the car to believe it.It probably is not as quick as my Adventador but it definitely dust my other cars while it is luxurious. The Acura is a super car and I think they nailed it.

I find myself going to the garage with coffee to look at the car. As I look at the car I am picking up exterior design elements that are flowing and Frankly just beautiful. I consider myself a car person and I had never heard of the car and only ran into it by accident.

I took the car to my exotic car group that meets once a month. I thought no one would know what it is. I was wrong they all knew of the car and some could quote specs.

Just shows I need to start buying car magazines again or get out more.

Thank you Acura for making this car!

Best

Lee

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Congrats!
    Live the life to the fullest, enjoy it in good health.
    No need to buy print magazines, everything is online now.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wonderful Lee, happy for you. Any pics?

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats let's see some pics! I had a 1996 NSX-T it was a great car just underpowered.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Can I ask a really dumb question?

Who buys a near $200k toy that the physical appearance doesn't really excite them? Speculation perhaps?

Anyway, enjoy it if you can.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Congrats. Im a big fan.
    its 80% of a 918s for only 20% of the cost.
    R&T called it best drivers car of year but other media reviews were not so positive. A lot depended on tires. Which do you have?
    Enjoy yours and pics please!

7. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Congratulations, Lee!

High praise for NSX coming from you, as you have had/do own many fine performance sports cars.

Drive the snot out of it and tell us more as you do!

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a really neat car. Congrats and enjoy. A really good customer of mine sold his 360 for one and couldn't be happier with his decision. He really likes the car.

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #9 leead1, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Great question and one I tossed around in my mind a lot before I bought the car.

Acura calls it a super car and I agree. It is simply the best drivers car I have ever driven.
    So I bought it just because of the super car driving experience. Most cars have owned or driven have something that bothers you like a sore thumb. I can not find anything that is not perfect on the car, Maybe after a few months I will notice something.

The car is not ugly just not stunning like my Mosler or Adventador. It is a super car that you can drive every day in comfort and luxury. We have owned many Japanese cars and they were reliable but boring. This NSX has changed my stereotype feeling towards Japanese cars.
    I knew nothing about history of the model from the 1970s. I was just lucky to have driven one at the dealer and glad the salesman pushed me into driving it

Best

Lee

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Nice write up Lee, I haven't stepped up to buy another NSX..for the price point there are much better performance platforms out there..
    Its nice to see the other features out weigh the lack of performance..perhaps Ill be like you and walk in and drive one and drive one away! good luck...keep us updated on how it works out for you...

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    lack of performance?

3 sec 0-60, 11s/130 qtr mile is pretty fast. and its lap times aren't too far off the fastest cars tested in the media comparos.

as I said in my earlier post, seems the car is very dependent on the tires it comes with and the performance mode the driver choses. seems Honda put a high priority on comfort and economy.

rumor is a hipo version will be seen in the future.

12. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This^^^^^^The old NSX reputation seems to have carried over. From owners I have heard nothing but very positive reviews.

13. iamnsxtc

iamnsxtc Rookie

Aug 31, 2010
    Nice read Lee. I have a 92 nsx. During the development of the new one, which did forever, I had been on the search for a 430. Something different, something new from the NSX. I'm glad I couldn't find a 430 I wanted to buy. I bought my new in November. It's not the old one by far, which I am keeping. It's a fun car to drive, very fast, and it's a looker. It does steal the car shows views..

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #14 leead1, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    A great choice. I have had a 360 and a 430 and they are wonderful cars to drive. My 458 has been reliable but not an exciting car to drive, too soft in my view. I have not looked at a 488 maybe it is better.

I recently drove a 1970s Tesdarossa and even today is is a great car to drive.

Jay Leno's garage has a great piece on the SNX car. I think it is worth the look. I love the way the car drives.

The other car that is worth a look if you want to buy something on the other end of the spectrum is the Wildcat. The car has great sound and 707 hp. Not a sports car but fun to drive.

Best

Lee

15. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Lee, you are my hero, as I enjoy cars I will never own vicariously through you. Thank you.

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Pawilly you are very kind. For the record I am never going to grow up :)

best

Lee

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    What is a Wildcat? Did you mean Hellcat? If so yes it's a great car and my daily driver.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes I believe he means Hellcat. I chuckled a little when I read wildcat. All in good taste of course. Lee seems like a great guy.

19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ha Ha, I remember the Wildcat, a gal I knew 40 years ago drove one. I was trying to recall if it came out with some sort of crazy engine option when I read his post...
    Yes I guess he meant Hellcat

20. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hellcat and what a car.

Best

Lee

21. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hi guys,
    If you'd like to see Lee's NSX take a look in the Florida section under the thread 'Orlando cars and coffee'. There is a nice picture of an old NSX Next to Lee's new NSX side by side.

22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Like everything else, cars seem to be getting bigger- taller and wider in the NSX comparison photo. Does anybody know if the coefficient of drag (CD) has increased on the new generation with the perceived increase in frontal area?