Hummer H2? | FerrariChat

Hummer H2?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Perfusion, Dec 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I remember when these were new... I was living in Phoenix, AZ, and they were the bee's knees. Then, the economic downturn hit, and you'd have had to be stupid, crazy, or just a ******bag to be spotted driving one (at least, on the west coast). But, I saw one today in nice condition here in Atlanta and thought, "Oh yeah...I remember those..."

Anybody here own one in the past, or currently? I'm thinking of something along that size for a DD - Tahoe, Yukon, etc. I'm just wondering how they've held up in terms of long term drive-ability and reliability...

Thanks!

2. TroyNVie

TroyNVie Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I am curious about other members' feedback and experience as well.

3. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Awesome is what my wife says after her trip to Pasadena the other day in traffic.

She bought hers for freeway driving. Big tank with 10 mpg usually. Turns on a dime. Vortech engine is impressive at full throttle. She got hers the day after it left the SEMA show in 2006. I need to get a back up camera installed though.

120,000 one issue with Leaky air suspension and a broken exhaust stud causing an exhaust leak. Front window seal leaks repeatedly. Hers is the SVT.

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Friend of mine had an 03 with an 8 or 10 inch lift, it was a beast but it started having a lot of problems with the suspension, steering, electrical, etc. He sold in in like 2011ish for next to nothing compared to what he paid. I think with the lift it was in the single digits mpg on the highway. Impressive looking but frankly the land cruiser is a better go anywhere truck imho.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Man, I'd love to have an H2... always wanted one. Good, low mileage examples are priced accordingly (i.e. high).

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Funny you mention that, my friend just got one. Said he always wanted one when they were new... we joked that with Trump in maybe big, bad trucks will be cool again.

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #7 Manda racing, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    This is what I've begun to notice!

9. TroyNVie

TroyNVie Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I think in an ironically similar way to the Lotus Elise (dramatically different car known arguably most for its light weight), the Hummer H2 is a niche vehicle that's no longer available for sale new (and hasn't been for some time) and doesn't have many substitutes, thus boosting the prices of nice examples.

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    as a DD ?

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

H2 = Rebodied Chevy Suburban?

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    They share a few things; frame, powertrain and some switchgear. The Suburban is/was a reliable and capable vehicle.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For medium to high mileage examples, one could. On the other hand, IMHO, the H2 will be a collector vehicle in the future, if it isn't already, so pristine, low mileage cars should be preserved.

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    suburban...

i thought it shared more of the underpinnings of the denali/tahoe.

sounds like horrible gas mileage for a DD

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I guess it depends... Wiki says "The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the midsection is all new, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame...".

MPG is reported to average around 10.

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    probably so... maybe i was just thinking the motor and tranny.

i have a HD 2007 tahoe that gets about mid 12s mpg.

17. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I had one of these when they first came out. Great vehicle unfairly targeted by the enviro wackos. Very comfortable to drive, plenty of power, and great off road capability out of the box. I put a Hybrid badge off of a Honda on mine and the people of Boulder were sufficiently satisfied. FWIW I was getting about 15mpg with mine. I recently thought about buying another as a beater for going to our mountain house. Maybe put a Duramax in one. Look at youtube for videos of stock hummers in Moab for an example of their capability.

18. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had a 2005 H2 as a DD. It was a very comfortable truck with everything in it. I had Escalades and Suburbans before that and the H2 really got a lot more attention and not always positive. There were a few times, when I was gassing it up, that people really let me have it, but that stuff usually just rolls off my back. The breaking point was when gas got to $4.25 and I just couldn't justify 9mpg anymore. I sold it with 24000 miles on it for $27k. It's 9 years later and I see them going for the same or more money. Oh well.

19. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    We have had 3 of them, put 60K miles on one and only replaced tires and a battery. Personally, I loved them. Very comfortable, wish they would make them again.

20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    We test drove one while I was looking for a tow vehicle. Rated less than an Armada.
    Less interior room.
    Less fuel milage.
    I asked the dealer if they were going to come out with a Diesel.
    He said "And ruin the looks with a hood bulge ?"
    Dude... its a box.

If I were EVER going to get one it would be the H1.

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Friend has an H2.

Had to park it in the driveway one night this year as they had relatives visiting for the weekend.

Someone spray painted enviro graffiti all over the truck, wheels and tires.

22. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Friend has a H1 and H2. He loves them enough to do the duramax conversion.

23. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'd do an H1 or an H3. H2 hits me like a bunch of bad compromises. Capable off road AS LONG AS you have room. Otherwise a Rubicon, Defender, Land Cruiser much better. As something to drive personally I have no interest, as an investment vehicle I would buy a correctly priced example. Most of them I see are set up as mall crawlers.

24. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the comments, all. I think after considering it more, the H2 doesn't fit the bill perfectly. While I've always really enjoyed it's presence on my the road, it's age puts it just outside the technological floor I'm trying to stay above. I don't need full-on "self driving," but modern creature comforts are appreciated.

I think for the same money as a lower mileage, well-preserved H2, I'm in newer Land Cruiser / LX570 territory - vehicles that are unquestionably reliable, and certainly capable of handling whatever weather Georgia can throw at them...

25. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    As a European it's always interesting to read "Should I buy an H2" threads.

I rented one for 3 weeks back in 2006 and was shocked about it. We've had our share of FF Range Rovers which we still do, and we've taken them offroad on a regular basis over the years. I've also had 2 Prado Land Cruisers. With experiences of these 4x4's I simply don't understand the idea behind the H2.

It's horrible when doing any real offroading, the millage is shockingly bad, it's super heavy - even for the power, and fit'n'finish and ride quality is only so-so at best. Sure if one takes logic out of it and look at it in kind of the same way you look at sports car ownership, it may be a cool toy for those who like it. But to think of it as a sensible DD is like thinking the Rambo Lambo is a good DD. So many good looking cars out there that does absolutely everything better and looks better. I can understand the fascination of the H1, that's a cool thing for sure and a great toy, but the H2? It's as much Humvee as a Chevy Burp, so in actuality, not at all.

Can someone explain the fascination and what in reality makes it a good DD compared to say a Lexus 570 or Grand Cherokee? I use them as examples as they seem to be popular choices on your side of the pond. Safety is not a good reason as the H2 is not a very safe vehicle, especially not for everyone else. Help me trying to understand this. In addition, I rented it not because I actually like it very much, but I had to see what all the hype was all about when the opportunity was there.