Self-driving Ferrari | FerrariChat

Self-driving Ferrari

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by zeroagenow, Jan 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zeroagenow

zeroagenow Karting
    BANNED

Jun 7, 2011
    California
    I know you guys are going to either ignore this thread or think I am crazy for even starting it but self driving cars are coming and being that Ferraris , in my humble opinion, are always staying at the top of any new technology (maybe just that which they deem important?) and already incorporate some 'nannies'. Any step further and could and would include even more AI involved in the driving. My question is would they be able to create and sell an interface that makes it seem like you were driving like a pro (the best pro ever) when actually the car is doing the real work and the driver only thinks he is picking the line, applying the proper brake or throttle? And that's just on the track. In the real world would the super car crowd ever accept a car that looks like the newest thing but is actually just robot?

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I've never thought about an autonomous Ferrari until this thread. Wash your mind out :D.

With so called nanny aids (sounds like an old folks disease :/) some might say we already have that.

My honest opinion? The sound is one of the factors I have a Ferrari for and that could stay.. or could it? Autonomous cars aren't going to power off the line or drive quickly down a country lane, they just aren't. Autonomous cars are my biggest concern for the future of cars and my favourite hobby.

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    A gated autonomous Ferrari would be raw.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The do not always stay at the top of technology, in fact in many ways they lag far behind. They were about the last to adopt fuel injection when it had for 30 years been established as a performance advantage. They were one of the last to adopt ABS brakes, I could go on but it would be silly to do so. The technologies that Ferrari does adopt, when they get around to adopt them are to enhance the vehicle performance. I suspect at some point in time in the name of road safety self driving technology will be required for all new cars and Ferrari will adopt it in response.

5. piezopaul

piezopaul Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The only ways I will EVER consider getting an autonomous vehicles are: 1) It becomes mandated, 2) I am too infirmed to drive myself, or 3)Their capablities exceed our own performance-wise (ie you can get in a line of cars on the freeway all doing 120mph or so legally.) Otherwise, I'M DRIVING MYSELF!

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well, what would be fun about a self driving Ferrari?

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The sound of the flat-plane V8 coming through the speakers?

8. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Aren't a lot of cars sort of halfway there already? As it stands now, stability and traction control can already take over a car if the systems detect an impending mistake. Doesn't that make the driver feel like he's driving like a pro (or at least not an amateur) by not wrecking? Plus, when the drive pulls a shift paddle to change gears, the driver isn't actually changing gears, the car is. Heck in some cases it's just better to leave the car in automatic because the car knows the absolute best shift points.

The car already does a lot of the "real work", it's just a matter of how much more of that work the drivers will let the car do.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Now that cracked me up!

10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Don't forget Active Cruise and self parking. The latter was the prominent part of the Ford Focus advert a couple of years ago here in the UK.