Beating a dead horse(questions about importing a vehicle) | FerrariChat

Beating a dead horse(questions about importing a vehicle)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by RennSport93, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Hello everyone!
    My 360 needs a stable mate that I'm not afraid to put miles on. I have considered many cars in the sub 50k range,but one keeps me up at night. I would do bad things to be able to own a 2002 Mazda Rx-7 Spirit R. My very first car was a 93 Rx-7 and i just want to have the ultimate version. I know,it is younger than 25 years and thus "impossible". I think I may have a few things that make my ordeal different though. 1) I have legal access to dealer and Repair towing plates 2) I have a Florida address.

Am I in any better of a position of pulling this off?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I don't have an answer but here's a nice write-up on the one and only Mazda Rx-7 Spirit R that was built for the US market.

2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Review

3. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Thank you for sharing!

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Insurance might be your biggest problem. The insurance for many dealers doesn't cover cars not for sale, unless they are demo cars.

5. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    From what I understand,It's legal to casually drive around with dealer plates(thus insurance),if you are the owner or immediate family of the owner(me). I've googled this topic to high heaven,have not found a thing regarding imports and the magical dealer plate. I think it is important to note that I will be able to use these plates the entire time i own the vehicle. I also do not ever plan on selling the vehicle.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just keep in mind, if you a claim, the adjuster is going to look for a way to bust your ass.

7. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    True.The family business is a european focused collision repair service that in recent years has begun selling cars. As a result,we deal with every insurance company on a daily basis and are particularly good friends with the adjusters(they decide what we make more or less). So I don't perceive that to be an issue.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Haven't the Feds literally crushed cars that were brought in illegally to this country? Also to risk a possible problem with the business liscense for the company sounds like pretty serious stuff to me. I will admit I know nothing about the car you are referring to but I can't imagine any car would be worth the potential risks.

9. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll just leave these here...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jik109uz1mA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjY8lmzWBc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVlQxBVu7Y[/ame]

10. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I suppose I'm looking for someone to spell out for me why I'm an idiot. If i never have to get the car registered because of the plate? Who is actually going to stop me/where are there still to be problems? I'm very aware the feds crush illegal cars,I just don't see how it would be an issue. I have read every piece of state legislature on the dealer plate and don't see how I'd be breaking the rules. One can own a less than 25 year car import here,they are just titled for offroad use only. You could technically put a dealer plate on an f1 car in my state and it becomes road legal with that plate. I have no idea how this is possible,but from what I understand it's been done.Have I found a loophole? Or am I a damned fool?

11. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    What a waste. The fact that it can't be re-exported to the country of origin makes me so upset.

Let's thank Mercedes for this 25 year rule so they could prevent people from buying their cars for less overseas.

The entire safety argument is bs to me. So you can import a car 25 years old no problem, but a more modern one of the same brand (and some now with airbags) and more safety mechanisms can't be? The newest Defenders are overall safer than the 25+ year old ones. Lame reason...

13. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    You're preaching to the choir man. The worst part is they sold this exact body style here for 3 years too. I actually refuse to buy benz because of this. When I was in the market for an uber sedan,the M3 and RS4 were the only ones I cared about. I really wouldn't mind if Benz went under.

14. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The "loophole" is that some states don't really care and you could probably road register a shifter-kart if you put a plate on it. The issue is that federal laws override state and the feds are the ones how crush cars.

Totally agree on all fronts. Makes me sick that they spout safety BS to justify it.

15. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Sorry for the ignorance... what does Mercedes have to do with the law?

17. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    At some point people were taking advantage of exchange rates and buying their cars over seas and getting them cheaper. Benz responded by coercing the United States Government to put in place the laws we deal with today regarding imported cars. I don't understand why they had to screw us so badly. The law should be 5-10 years at most,not the 25 Benz stuck us with.

18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So do you want this car because it is this car or are you more interested in how it drives and performs? In other words could you create a reasonable likeness from a US legal car as a starting point?

19. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    If i could find the specific one I let go of years ago,I would consider it. Otherwise,I'm really drawn to the Spirit R because of it's rarity(1500 made). It also would probably be cheaper to just buy a Spirit R and put the pieces on an American chassis. The seats alone are worth 4-5k when an entire car can be had over seas for 30ish.. I would rather give up than rip one of those apart for no reason. American Rx-7s also tend to be heavily modified and very beat up. A car that I would want to start with would cost 25k before I even get into spending tons of time and money upgrading it.I would also have to live with myself after ripping apart 2 cherry examples.Not to mention it would probably end up being more exspensive than going through this process and I would only have a clone at the end of the day. I'm gonna give a japanese importer a call this week and hopefully start to get some more answers.

20. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    You need to go through a Registered Importer. Check the NHTSA website to see it if it has an exemption to the 25-year rule due to being 'substantially similar' to a USDM vehicle. If yes, just ring up an RI and prepare to pay to have it modded as needed (lenses, seat belts and maybe bumpers). If not, you need to petition the NHTSA to get an exemption and then do the above.

21. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Thank you!

22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I did not know this. It would seem like a great way to stimulate some small businesses if they allowed newer cars to be imported/modified/tested and sold.

23. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I agree.What kills me about the ordeal is how 99% of benz drivers only want the newest benz possible at the moment. This is reflected in the horid resale values of just about all Benz. For instance,My father had a S55 AMG for a bit. He bought it for 27k off the original owner who had paid close to 155k maybe 5 years earlier. My point being- A 5 year ban on imported cars would have certainly fixed the problem and not screwed everyone else.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You are asking us to help you commit fraud. This may sound harsh, but it is the truth.

25. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I see your point. I'll take my questions elsewhere then. Thank you for all those that helped me. Don't want to ruffle any feathers here,I enjoy/value everyones insight here too much to do that. I am sorry if my line of questioning has offended anyone and a mod can close the thread if that is the consensus.