Modern 1/2 Ton Truck Towing | FerrariChat

Modern 1/2 Ton Truck Towing

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by lashss, Mar 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    The new 1/2 ton trucks have tow ratings higher than the heavy duty trucks of not so long ago.

Anyone with a lot of miles towing with one of these new F150s or Silverado 1500s using their respective max tow configurations?

It appears that the 1/2 tons from the last three years have really upped their capability. There are vids online showing these max tow configurations towing serious weight up the Ike Gauntlet on I-70 in Colorado.

I would like to hear comments about how they would handle a 7k-9k lb trailer.

A few of them are rated to 12k lbs maximum which is impressive.

What is the maximum you guys would tow with these trucks over the mountains on a cross country trip?

I have owned a big crew cab dually and towed with other heavy duty diesels. I like that setup and know what they can do.

I have also towed with slightly older 1/2 ton trucks and small SUVs and remember how scary that was.

Anyone with a 2015 or 2016 Ecoboost 3.5 or GM 6.2 that could offer thoughts?

LSJ

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    At track days, I see some pretty big as trailers getting towed by the ecoboosts.

These new trucks have all the nannies which I think helps.

I've never driven an ecoboosts but I bet it tows better than my excursion

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Lash,

I use our '16 Cadillac Escalade ESV to tow my daughters horse trailer, it will take up to 8300lbs. With the 6.2L V8 and the heavy duty tow package and heavy duty differential, plus 8 speed transmission it has no problem making the haul. Its really a non-issue, plus you get more interior space with the SUV vs Truck. The GMC 1500 Denaili has everything the Yukon XL Denaili has, same with the Cadillac and the Cadillac comes with 22", very smooth.

Nate let me use his trailer to tow my Ferrari back from Chicago in '06 and we used our Yukon XL and it did fine, just no comparison to the new trucks/SUV at that size.

When we get her a "goose-neck" trailer I will move up to the 2500 truck.

lashss likes this.
  4. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The newer trucks pull just fine. Stop better, have built in safety systems. But it depends on your use for me. Near max weight periodically, like a few camping trips locally each year with a camper or short trips to the track or water with a car hauler or boat, you'll be fine.
    Start making longer trips or much more frequent trips and I would step up. A little overkill can add some safety. I've never owned anything bigger than a half ton. Few times I've maxed it out have been fine, but not fun. Have been towing a 22' center console for the last 15 years. 1997 F150,2001 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150. And an Expediton. Expy was fine, but you know it's there. The 97 was a V6, and it piled fine, but wasn't great. Each truck got better after that. The '13 is like a completely different class of truck for towing.

5. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I have a 2016 Silverado double cab.

With a brake controller I have pulled around 10k lbs with it.

The truck didn't seem to have any problems.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    i have a Tundra and it has 10.5k towing with 400 hp/tq, but you pay for it with the poor gas mileage. I pull bass boat not knowing it is there 85 mph. The enclosed trailer with 355 about 9k and the Tundra does great. I am getting a tractor and trailer that will be 14-15k total, so getting a gooseneck installed. I will just be going short distances with that. You saw the Tundra pull the shuttle?

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Was looking at tundras, as I like toyotas. But every business owner seems to go ford... Must be a reason?

8. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    My wife's 2014 1500 Denali pulled my track car and enclosed trailer (7500ish lb) halfway across the US and to a handful of track days just fine, but it could have been better - especially up and down mountains. Just bought a 17 Duramax and it is nice - quiet, quick, smooth - big step up from our 4 previous Duramax pickups. Thought we'd try a 1500 for our last one and made a mistake - diesels cost a few grand more but get $10k+ more on resale. Unless you have a lack of access to diesel, it just doesn't make sense to get a gasser - at least in the GM truck line.

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Last week I towed a friends two car enclosed trailer with his 2016 Z71 Silverado 4x4 quad cab fully loaded down with two racecars etc. right off the bumper. I was absolutely impressed with the highway ability at 70-75 MPH. No it was not a great passing slow traffic rig, but hills, driving along with traffic, normal pulling away from stop lights was a pleasure. And the damn thing was quiet like my S-Class Benz at speed. I was shocked. My favorite part? The thing never shifted. It sat at 2100RPM and just tugged along with that two car like it was a single car open trailer. I hate it when a rig gear hunts every time a head-win hits them. This rig did not.

I am a Mopar / Ram guy but was really pleased with this basic V8 gas Chevrolet.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Interesting.

So, what's a 'head-win'?

Sorry for the ignorance.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    cost, Tundras better quality, but Fords cheaper. I also like the eco type diesels the American companies are making, you get good power, but gas mileage when you don't need it. FYI many American brands made in Canada or Mexico while Tundras are made in Texas.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    head wind? hauling enclosed trailers always sensitive to wind, make sure you load it best you can. also when passing or being passed by 18-wheelers.

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Great replies.

What weights are you guys towing with the newer 1/2 tons?

If your truck is rated at 11k, are you towing 10,500 and still think that everything is good up and down mountains?

I'm wondering if the tow rating is a marketing competition at the extreme limit? If so, what range do you think is really doable?

I'm trying to decide between a new 1/2 ton with the appropriate "maximum tow package" and a 10 yr old heavy duty diesel.

Some of the wisdom I've heard is that in cross winds with a large enclosed trailer, the weight of the older heavy duty may prove to be valuable since the new trucks are even lighter than the used to be even 2 years ago. This could prove to be less stressful in the older heavy duty truck.

Having said that, there are many videos on Youtube showing these new trucks towing 8k lbs up and down long grades in the Rockies while fighting to stay below the speed limit.

The driver and passengers were laughing the whole way up and down. It sure didn't look stressful.

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes thank you Rob. Head Wind.

The two race cars were about 6000... Tools, pit-scooter and a two car enclosed? Maybe 5000 more? So I was at say 11k with a 1500 Z71 with nothing but a regular below the bumper hitch. No load levelers, no anti sway, nothing. Impressed the hell outta me.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

OK... headwind.

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    The newest trucks are SAE J2807 rated, meaning that they all can handle what they're rated for without getting real hairy. That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

I'd pick a new half ton over a 10 year old 3/4 or 1 ton if the half ton is rated for it. Compared to the trucks from 10 years ago, they're leaps and bounds better vehicles.

At least some of the new half tons with electric power steering have crosswind stabilization. I cannot personally vouch for the benefits of such a system.

17. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    I can attest to Tundras.....I have an 08 that is a workhorse that has pulled 11k lbs several times, no drama. Has 210k miles on the original engine and trans, runs good as new

18. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    I've watched a bunch of those videos, "The Fast Lane Truck" is the channel name on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tflcar

A few thoughts:

- The tow ratings are massaged by lawyers. So you know they are sand bagging the numbers to avoid lawsuits, product liability, warranty claims, etc (yet still keep up with the competition)...and protect against cannibalizing the their heavy duty product lines.

- It's not all about sheer HP/TRQ. Wheelbase and rear overhang are a couple of things that people don't really think about when considering a tow vehicle but they should! Especially with SUVs, where wheelbase (longer is better) can vary quite dramatically. Any 1/2 ton truck is going to have sufficient wheelbase as to not end up with the "tail wagging the dog" (precursor to jack-knifing) in most situations.

- Consider weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar. Might be overkill depending on your scenario but they make a world of difference.

- Wind and 18-wheelers are your enemy and will still create a white knuckle moment now and again.

What are you planning to tow anyway??

19. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #19 lashss, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    So, I was hoping to hear from someone who has a modern 1/2 and has towed with it extensively.

If you had an enclosed trailer weighing 8-9k lbs fully loaded, what would you use?

Condition 1 - Across country from the East Coast to California, over the Rockies in the summer. This trip would occur once every other year.

Condition 2 - Short, up to 4 hour round trips on the East Coast to tracks like Lime Rock, The Glen, VIR, and Summit Pt. This trip would occur maybe 2-3 times per year.

Which truck would use choose and why?

Truck A - 1999-2006 Ford HD Diesel SRW or Ram HD Diesel SRW (Short Bed)

Truck B - 2016-17 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow Package and HD Payload (Short Bed)

Is there one truck that will do it all and make for a suitable weekend driver? This is why I've specified SRW and the Short Bed.

I've towed plenty with HD Dually trucks and like how capable and stable they are. Having said that, times have changed in the last couple of years. Also, the DRW Dually setup doesn't make for a very useful truck outside of towing duty.

Can the modern 1/2 with the latest drivetrains and electronics (sway control, etc.) do what the older HD trucks did in a satisfactory manner?

LSJ

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Tundra is most reliable truck and great power, you pay for it with gas mileage though. I would get one of the eco engines for longer hauls.

FYI Tuesday I'm getting a gooseneck hitch installed, I will be hauling 15,000 pounds in my Tundra short distances.

21. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I have heard many great things about the Tundra. If I remember correctly it is a N/A V8?

I don't like the idea of pulling heavy weight at high altitude using a motor without forced induction.

Then again, if the gearing and some other factors are coordinated, it could be okay.

Thanks,
    LSJ

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's a good point, why I had a turbo plane. :)

23. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Having a bit of experience towing with both F350s of a slightly newer vintage than you're looking at, and vehicles with 3.5L Ecoboost, I'd go with the newer F150. Or Expedition if that form factor works better for you. "Available late 2017".
    I also own a truck of that older vintage, and I love it, but I'm constantly reminded that the new trucks do every single thing better than Ol' Rusty.

It's mostly about the comfort and convenience. 20 years of automotive development are all working to make the seat time more pleasant. Put on some Sirius radio, set the radar cruise control, turn on the massaging seat and turn on the lane keeping assist... Just in case it all becomes too comfortable! And that J2807 certification means it will pull what it's rated at easily. I'd bet that 3.5L EcoBoost will outpull that old 7.3L, too (fuel costs will be higher, they're thirsty when working hard).

24. Lowest cost bidder. You can get a 2017 ecoboost 4x4 extra cab truck for 31k.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I got a Tundra crewcab with the big V8 4wd etc. It was the lowest bidder by far at the time. 14k 3 year single pay lease.

Of all the trucks I drove the Ford was the most comfortable/limo like, and steered the best, but with any decent spec was significantly more.

I took the advice of a neighbour and got a crew cab, which was really good advice if you think of using the truck for any other purpose, its nice to be able to travel with your friends or family comfortably.

The Tundra feels anvil tough, tows great, has lots of room and I am very happy with it.
    Budget unlimited, ford is the top pick and I tried them all.