No one buys manuals | FerrariChat

No one buys manuals

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by boxerman, Mar 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wonder what the ratio pdk to 3 pedal will be.

Personally I never liked the manual in my 997 gt3. Clutch too heavy esp when stuck in b to b traffic coming home from track day. Also didnt like that sometimes would hit the shift gate when shifting quicly on track. Lotus is much better

Pdk is just so awesome I would go that way if wanted gt3 again.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Personally I buy manual cars when I can get one. It is getting harder to buy new cars with a manual.

I understand most automatics are quicker but to me that is not the point.

Best

Lee

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just replaced my dd with a used BMW 3series. Sure you can get a manual if you order new, but they are nearly impossible to find on the used market. Everyone I found that had some of the other options I was looking for, sold before I could get to it.

Ended up with the 8 speed DCT as I ran out of time to find a stick car. It can be fun to upshift through the gears while you are on it, but it isn't the same as a manual.

5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    If i own a 911R and paid a huge premium over list, i would be very upset .

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    That was my first thought when I read the GT3 gets the manual and 911R engine.

But unless Porsche came out and said this engine/transmission was exclusive to the 911R and would never be used elsewhere I am not sure how anyone could blame them for upgrading their product.

Perhaps the 911R buyers (speculators) should look to improve their discernment at what is really worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

(Carrera GT will likely be a one-off, I don't see another car from Porsche like it again, ever. Maybe that model is worth a million bucks going foward???)

7. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'm a big double-clutch hater. That being said, if I was buying a car for the track it would be a PDK or F1. If you're going to drive fast paddles are better and to me more enjoyable too.

My last 911 had a very heavy clutch that made driving in the city a little difficult. My solution to that was not to go to PDK but to get a Boxster. I'd rather have less power and a lighter clutch than have a faster 911.

My F355 has a very light clutch and still a decent amount of power.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just bought a manual after 5 years without one.