the image-sound garage ... haha | FerrariChat

the image-sound garage ... haha

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ibesuc, Mar 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    S-Class to daily,
    DB9 Volante for open top GT

then...
    Porsche GT3
    Ferrari 16m or Scuderia
    CLK63 Black Series

In love with the 458 and 911 Turbo, but the Scud and GT3 are a bit more special. Generally people will appreciate Scuds and GT3s, whereas the 458 or a Turbo could easily generate any hate that a ferrari or porsche may generate. Put it bluntly, you may come across as a ******.

With a scud or GT3, its like you're showing your passion for motorsport and its players... whereas with the 458 or Turbo you pretty much just look like you're in a flashy ride. Sure, there's some overlap here.

For DDs: I'll take a Benz -- the Benz image is well respected and works for celebs as well as businessmen. Then, a black Aston -- Astons are formal, classy, elegant but subtle. If I was a celeb or a fashion designer though, it'd be a Lambo over an Aston as Lambos are chic.

Otherwise Porsche and Ferraris have an ostentatious, look at me image and just aren't cool, they belong at country clubs or in front of night clubs filled with paper-thin clowns. Astons and Lambos are cool and confident though. Though a businessman in a lambo is not right.

So, my proposition for this thread is if I want a Ferrari, Porsche or even sports car Benz, I'll take the track versions that show that I appreciate driving and am a car enthusiast even if I'm not going to track it.

Just my opinion, and sort of funny that I've based it on image.

599s and f12s may be an exception

What are your opinions...

2. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I'll buy and drive any car I want and can afford.

3. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    I always find it interesting some are able to form such concrete beliefs about car owners based solely on the car they are driving.

You either either have a great deal of insight into people, or you're an idiot......

4. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

What do you think is more fair: forming opinions on people overhaul they speak or how they dress? Actions speak louder than words?

Do you think there's a difference between someone that drives a benz vs bmw vs audi?

Cars explain how people perceive themselves, and yes there are exceptions, some people who just drive whatever. But usually what they choose to drive is a result of how they think they should look.

And people, especially in NY, will judge you on what you drive. If you're a 40 y/o in a turbo, you come across as a jerk. If your a kid in a bmw, you come across as a punk.

5. boneislpilot

boneislpilot Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think you come across as a total *******

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Perhaps you could give some personal examples of what person is driving what specific model car so we can better evaluate your premise.

7. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    It strikes to me that ibesuc might possibly be either shallow or insecure, and needs to firm-up his self-image by driving a certain kind of car that sends the proper "message" to everyone who sees him driving it or who sees it parked in his driveway. But this is just speculation on my part. :)

8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    At the cars and coffee events I have attended, most everything else gets overlooked when a new Ferrari pulls in. So if OP is concerned about image, he should probably pick one up.

9. boneislpilot

boneislpilot Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If Ibesuc is not 14 yrs old and he's actually an adult, then I believe he failed his "psychology of car buyers" course at NYU or Berkeley.

Since I drive a 458, '57 Chevy, Ford 4x4, G63, and a Harley Fatboy, I wonder where I would fit in his weird analysis...

10. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You like attention.

11. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm obsessive.

Concerned about image does not equal Ferrari.

12. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    You are definitely obsessive of what others think of you.

13. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    +1

14. boneislpilot

boneislpilot Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Your statement here sums up your entire original post. You care most about what you "show", not particularly any quality, value or history of the vehicle.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm quite comfortable in the fact I don't need an extension like the OP. I drive old cars because I like them. I daily a 2003 E39 BMW.

16. boneislpilot

boneislpilot Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Same reason my 57 Chevy is parked in my driveway and I run it almost daily for errands. I love the car. Doesn't matter to me if anyone else does.