Amazing garage find: Two '87 Grand Nationals with sequential VINs | FerrariChat

Amazing garage find: Two '87 Grand Nationals with sequential VINs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by energy88, Apr 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had an 87 GN as a new car. It was a good but not by any means a great car. It is crazy to me that anyone would even ask 100k for one much less counter offer the price. It was just not that much car. Build quality sucked, the paint looked like Ray Charles did it and it was the worst handling car I ever owned.

3. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    What is so iconic about these cars? I remember seeing them on the road everywhere. Many times driven with hang-by-wire exhausts and other similar things that come with age.

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree. Actually the only thing good about the cars was that turbo Buick V6 (which was also used in the Typhoon/Cyclone twins and the later Turbo Trans Am).

But surrounding a good motor with mid-80s American plastic and rattly metal----no thanks. I look at these as fast Regals that will rattle themselves to death, nothing more.

BUT, I will admit there is a cult following of these cars and they'll pull the $$. Just check GNX prices too. It's nuts.

5. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Iconic cars for their day's...Asking price is probably double what it should fetch.

6. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Syclone carried a turbo 4.3. Source: I owned one for a decade.

7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Often thought the same. I'm British so I put it down to that. As far as looks go, well it does not have any :D

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    They were fast when everything else was slow.
    While I never had a GN I did have a couple of the contemporary G bodies and agree they were crappy cars. That V-6 is quite a grinder too.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    True, the others were 3.8s.

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    now if they were sister GNXs..........

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The funny part is by the time the GNX was made to pass smog it had the same power as a standard GN. The prototype that all the magazines tested was what all the write ups used for performance figures. In reality the GNX was a trim package, a rare trim package but still a trim package. It had nice gauges, better wheels and a goofy fender vent.

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've had several of these. Maybe I'm not picky but I love em. Comfortable and fun, impressive in 86/87 IMO.

GNX was slightly more power. A few psi more boost, ceramic turbine on the turbo. Also torque arm/panhard bar rear suspension but not sure why, the factory triangulated 4 link was fine for that car.

My favorite turbo buick spec is 87 Limited. Would love a black hardtop with landau top and leather seats :)