Merc CLK55 AMG (w209) - owner's experiences? | FerrariChat

Merc CLK55 AMG (w209) - owner's experiences?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    My father has been looking for a modern convertible for the last month or so. He drove a 2005 SL500 and liked it a lot, but prefers having 4 seats for occasional use and also is leery about the SL's very-pricy-to-fix hydraulic suspension and potential folding hard-top issues.

Yesterday we checked out a 2005 CLK55 cabrio.

I was very impressed with the overall feel of solidity, responsive steering and smooth brakes, interior fit and finish, and power. Not so impressed with the sluggish 5-sp auto transmission, but since it's not going to be a track car don't see this as a deal breaker.
    It needs new tires and rim refinishing, but other than that is ready to go. Newer brake pads, water pump and battery (and the ABS unit looks brand new, though no record of replacement), very clean undercarriage and engine compartment. Starts, idles, and revs super smooth and didn't see any leaks.

I'd never given these much thought but after driving this one for about 45 minutes came away quite impressed, especially given the price ($12.5K). Even with 40/35 series tires and truly crappy roads it was comparable to my 740i Sport in the way it handled: firm but not at all "crashy" suspension and quite agile despite it's weight.

I've done quite a bit of reading on mbworld.com forum, other than typical sensors/window regulators/switchs etc there doesn't seem to be any real nightmares (i.e. weak head studs, grenading transmissions, crank bearings, weak top mechanism, etc) lurking within.

Anyone here own a CLK55 and can share their experiences?
    Would a 2006/7/8 CLK550 be a better choice? They have as much power as the CLK55 but don't have the same suspension, sweet AMG wheels or a motor signed by the builder...

thanks!

video of the top retracting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuZtiGv81o

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is the only AMG 55 variant I have not owned. I currently own a 2005 C55. The AMG 55 is damn near bullet proof as long as you don't start modding it. The things that go wrong are the bitsa like a droptop, sunroof, or other doohickeys, which are expensive. If it were me, I'd leave the top closed. My other recommendation is to replace all the rubber bushings an other bits. Driving around Houston tears a car up.

The good news is once you've gone over the car, you may have $20k into it, but you'll be good to go for several years. Everything works perfect in mine, except for an A/C bearing buried in the dash. It drives me crazy, but my mechanic says it is not worth fixing.

I dunno what part of town you're in, but I can refer you to a great Mercedes guy in The Woodlands.

3. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Thanks for the reply.

The C55 is the same platform I believe(?).
    How do you like the transmission? It seemed like with anything less than ~1/2 throttle it pulled away from a stop a bit too sedately. My 2001 740i's 5-sp auto gets away with much more authority. It is a "sport" model though, so has a tighter torque converter and lower geared rear end than standard though.
    Maybe a worn torque converter on the CLK, or does this sounds normal?

Don't envision ever modding the motor, the only thing I think it deserves (surprisingly, Dad agrees) is a louder exhaust.
    Listened to a youtube clip of one with the muffler deleted and it sounded great, but maybe a bit too much for Pop Pop. Would be awesome to have a two-stage system for loud or quiet, on demand...

I hear you about the suspension. It's got 60k miles and spent almost all of it's life in the Hamptons and then Virginia, so Houston roads haven't had much time to do their damage. Tracks straight and feels tight, for now.

I'd appreciate that mechanic recommendation. We're not far from the Woodlands - well within my AAA's 100 mile towing allowance :)

cheers!

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    have not had a clk55 but did have, and gave to my daughter a clk420. the engines always seem to be very solid in these cars. but as dale said, its all the other stuff that can have issues.
    so on the clk we had a cam sensor problem that was an easy fix. then the top mechanism ceased to work. after many varied opinions, i managed to find one guy that specializes in these and we discovered it was 1 of those little sealed actuators. the estimates i had received to fix the top had been around 4k, but when we discovered this, i bought the part for a net $135, and the labor and tax pushed the bill up to $800. but still not 4k !

some interior parts can fail over time in the heat.

but otherwise they are good cars.

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Thanks for the input Ross.

We're going to check out a 2009 CLK550 cab this afternoon before buying the 55.
    Newer 32 valve motor has a bit more power than the AMG, plus 7-sp vs 5-sp transmission (which has it's issues), we'll see which one feels better on the road. Plus it's got vented seats and the tires and wheels appear to be in much better condition, so the $2500 price difference is about a wash.

Interesting to look at the cost difference in brakes:
    AMG has 2-piece front rotors and 6-piston calipers. OEM rotors are over $500 a pop while Brembos are only slightly less eye watering: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-disc-brake-front-brembo-1714210112

the 550 has more conventional hardware, for ~1/4 the parts cost:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-brake-kit-front-c280-clk350-pagid-w203amgfbk1

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    as i have been debating the purchase of an SL65 AMG, i realized that anything AMG is going to cost 2-4 times as much as regular parts, and nobody wants to give an extended warranty for an AMG car. i am just about to walk away from that car for fear of massive repair bills.

so in your particular case, i would go for the clk550. younger car, cheaper parts = better experience (on paper anyway).

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Because this is my DD, I rarely get on it hard. Those rear tires are expensive. But, it definitely responds if you kick it in. Also there is a sport mode.

One mod a lot of people do is a lightly pulley, which allows it to spin up faster. I'm okay with the exhaust. It growls only when you stomp on it.

I dunno about the CLK, but the C55 has coilovers, no air shocks. But when I got the car with 55k on the clock, you could hear some of the bushings squeak, particularly when you turned hard left. I probably didn't need to do it, but I'm a fool when it comes to my cars. I ended up replacing all of them with new bushings. (Turns out the worse offender was the left rear even though the sound came from the front.) Anybody who buys one of my cars gets a deal. :)

I'll send you a PM. BTW, I think I recognize the dealer. Is he in Humble?

8. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #8 Nurburgringer, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    yeah my Dad checked out warrantees on SLs, and for ~$4k none of them covered the suspension or top. Probably need a Carmax warranty for that, but the SLs he was looking for were too old for CM.

He had a PPI done yesterday on a 2008 CLK550 w/ 35k miles advertised as in great shape (for top dollar) in Georgia, but it came back negative: multiple fluid leaks, underside looked like it had been under dirty water(!), numerous cosmetic issues etc.

So today he bought the AMG :)

He probably would have bought this gorgeous and well priced 2009 550 (which has the AMG wheels, suspension and exhaust) but by the time I found it on Ebay Sunday night and he called 1st thing monday AM, it was sold:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Class-Base-Convertible-2-Door-/222449844351?hash=item33cb0b407f:g:IacAAOSwDKtY1E8K&vxp=mtr

Could you just post it here please? I have to clean out my PMs, right now they're full...

Dealer is just North of I10, between 8 and 610 west of town. Funny little place, run by an Iranian couple that came to the USA 6 years ago.
    http://pautosales.com/

The CLK55 is now in Dad's garage. It felt GREAT driving back with the top down. I kicked the trans down to 3rd with the paddles on the highway and blasted by him in the Pacifica with the windows down :D

Oh yeah and I learned why it felt sluggish off the line. With the transmission in "Comfort" mode it starts in 2nd. Switched into "sport", or when starting off with more than ~1/2 throttle and it starts in 1st.

Next order of business is to put it up on blocks, take the wheels to NTB to have the totally shagged tires taken off and tossed, have the rims refurbed and put new tires put on.
    Then it's good to go.

Thanks for the input, hopefully it'll serve him (and me ;)) well for many miles!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x155/kedelbach/20170502_163433_zpsutq084km.jpg

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #9 Nurburgringer, May 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Put her on blocks last night and just dropped the wheels off at NTB for tire removal.

Massive brakes!!!!

There looks to be a good amount of meat left on the front pads, but the angle of the pad surface looks off. Is this normal for 6-piston calipers?
    They feel absolutely fine on the road, I've just never seen wear like that on any of the wimpier calipers I've ever had.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Took the CLK to the dragstrip last night, first time for me.

My buddy's 500hp Camaro should have been well into the 12s but he had big traction issues. Was losing the back end in 1st, 2nd and 3rd :O

The AMG was almost boring. Traction control off, auto trans in Sport mode, stamp on the gas at the last yellow light and keep it pinned to the firewall.

Both runs were almost identical RT, 60' and 1/4 mile ET and speed (13.55seconds at 103mph) so didn't feel the need to do more.

Fun time but I miss curves so it was the beginning and end of my drag racing hobby...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_fcbdg38yU[/ame]

There was an AMG GTS there that did low 12s and a new E55 in the 11s. SMOKING fast!

11. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Wish I would have seen this sooner. Though I would have told you to buy the Clk55 anyway :) I've been the proud owner of a w208 Clk55 Cabrio for the last 5 years. You guys are going to love it! Congratulations!

The funny thing about it is that it's one of the rare cars that you actually start to like more the longer you own it. It has it's own charm! Take the trans for example from the S/SL600. Or the engine that has forged internals being fired by 16 spark plugs. Or the sound it makes when you're on it but the sound it doesn't make when cruising. Or the laugh you get when heading to the parts store to pick up oil and having to buy two 5qt jugs cause it takes so much oil.

My wife doesn't really get cars but I like to paint the picture of the CLK being somewhat of swiss army knife of performance cars. Rides well, decent sized trunk, usable back seat and will blow the doors off 98% of the cars you see. Hell I even have a bike rack for my CLK because it served as my daily driver for the last 5 years.

As for repair costs, these are world cars with many variants made of many years beyond the AMG's. Yes certain parts cost more but it's really not all that much. In my 5 years of ownership the only part that I thought was silly was the front rotors and floor mats from the dealership. I mean I could sit here and tell you that I paid like 4x more for spark plugs but that's because it has 4x more spark plugs than a Civic. The only reoccurring part that needs replacing on my car is the brake light switch - $20 from the local chain parts store and they almost have it in stock cause the half the MB's made from 1998-2004 used it.

12. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #12 Nurburgringer, May 29, 2017
    Good stuff 95 - post some pics of your AMG!

How many miles on yours?

I am indeed appreciating the all around abilities of the car more and more. Dropping the top and cruising home from the drag races under the stars was awesome.
    A German muscle car. :)

Tomorrow a mobile detailer is coming over to do a "paint correction" - 2 stage cut and polish - that will make her really shine.

The only thing still to do is a audio head unit upgrade. Looking at Pioneer/Kenwood universal systems or maybe one that fits perfectly like this. But I can't find any good reviews of it online and 40W per channel isn't much.

https://www.seicane.com/android-gps-navigation-system-for-2006-2011-mercedes-benz-clk-w209-with-radio-dvd-player-touch-screen-bluetooth-wifi-tv-ipod-hd-1080p-video-backup-camera-steering-wheel-control-usb-sd-s018812

The stock HK audio system sounds pretty good as is but the screen is delaminating and it would be nice to have bluetooth, backup cam, touchscreen nav, Sirius, etc.

Here's a cool pic that was posted on the Car Club's FB page, hoping to get the aerial video:

13. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    #13 95Aero, May 29, 2017
    I have about 104k on the clock now.

I ripped out my stock head until as well. Though my process was not one that you would have to go through on the w209's. Going from a cassette deck to a Navi screen wasn't easy and involved having to cut some of the dash with a hacksaw lol.

I went with a Clarion and added XM an a backup camera but that was 5 years ago. If I were doing it over now I would probably go with a Pioneer unit with Android Auto/Apple Car Play since that can do almost everything you would ever want it to and save you a few bucks. I will say this, the Clarion until made the system sound a good 30% better. I would just make sure you read up on whether or not you need a Line Out Converter.

I need to have my rims refinished really badly. I have the factory AMG 2 piece rims but they used a terrible coat of paint on them and I don't even know if the used any type of clear on the lip so I have corrossion on it. The hysterical part is that if I were to clean the rims up I could sell them for $2000 but if I sell the whole car I'll get $9000 if I'm lucky.

Great ariel shot you got at the track!

Here are some of my CLK:

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #14 Nurburgringer, May 30, 2017
    VERY nice :)
    Yours should be a couple hundred pounds lighter than the W209.

Another pics from the drag race was posted on the Club's website. Trying to get a full res version of the aerial shot, would make great desktop wallpaper..

15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #15 Nurburgringer, May 31, 2017
    Last week I arranged for Eurocharged here in Houston to install Kleemann headers and a ECU/TCU as a surprise to Dad.
    They also did before and after Dyno runs to prove the gains.

Not a massive power improvement but consistent 7-9% gains throughout the rev range (gorgeous, flat torque curve!), plus improved throttle response and shift speed. As a bonus deleting the primary cats gives her an angrier, racier exhaust note under load.

Was really fun hanging out at the Eurocharged shop while they did the work. Some incredible machines there like the owner's twin turbo Gallardo and several heavily modded E55/E63/etc.

Lot of work removing the old headers and welding in the new downpipes. Well worth paying pros to do it.

16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #16 Nurburgringer, May 31, 2017
    before/after dyno testing

peak, stock @ wheels:
    298 hp
    314 lbft
    ~84% drivetrain efficiency so 362hp and 376tq at crank, (factory claim)

Post headers and tune:
    323 hp
    340 lbft
    ~392 hp and 407 ft lb

I really recommend Eurocharged. Their crew was very skilled and professional, and especially the transmission tune brings a quite noticeable difference.
    NA motors don't see big power gains like the supercharged and turbod cars do with ECU tuning, but overall a nice mod.
    http://www.eurocharged.com/

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Glad to see the fencing around the pool.

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  19. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Those are some really solid gains. I've heard great things about Kleemann headers. I've been thinking about doing headers, a high-flow cat, then split the exhaust in the rear via an electronic exhaust cutout. Then install a 2nd rear muffler on the right for that quad ehaust sound/performance when I want it. Also I'm really wanting of a carbon fiber rear diffuser.

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #20 Nurburgringer, Jun 2, 2017
    The headers themselves are gorgeous. They do nice welding in China!!!
    There were a couple issues with fitting them however:
    1) Kleemann sent two passenger-side downpipes. No way for me to know this before hand, it wasn't till the shop dry-fit them and saw the O2 bungs both facing the same way was it clear something was wrong. They tried like hell to get the second one to work on the driver's side (and then I could drive it home that night) by plugging up the O2 sensor port, drilling and welding a new one on the inside (O2 lead not long enough to reach the other side), but finally decided the downpipe shape was different enough that it wouldn't line up well enough with the stock pipe.
    Kleemann overnighted the correct downpipe, which fit great the next day.
    2) The passenger side header and/or downpipe did not line up so well unfortunately. This side hangs down ~1.5" lower than the driver's side, so while it does clear speedbumps I'm going to be nervous every time I have to go over one.
    3) Kleemann didn't provide the new exhaust nuts or gaskets. The nuts I ordered ended up being the wrong ones, luckily the shop had correct ones on hand ($15). When I went looking to order them before the install I asked Kleemann to confirm the part # and they wouldn't provide it, still don't know how I ordered the wrong ones (used FCP Euro's "Your Car" function and it said they were the ones....).

That said for the $750 "sale" price off Ebay (usually >$1000) I'm definitely happy with them: KLEEMANN Headers + Downpipes C55 AMG, SLK55 AMG, CLK55 AMG

heh, looking at Kleemann's site if you buy the headers for the full retail price of 1195Euros looks like they throw in $30 worth of nuts and gaskets... nice
    http://catalog.kleemann.dk/catalog/exhaust/headers/header-kit-164-113-w-dp/

It took 2 guys working 1.5 days almost non-stop to do the installation. This includes ~2 hours of extra work trying to get the wrong downpipe to fit, and ~1 hr of pre&post dyno time.
    Obviously the $600 they charged me for the install (vs $500 estimated) was absolutely worth it.
    One of the old header bolts was frozen to the stud and in an especially inaccessible place, so they had to run out to Sears for a nut extractor. A LOT of work was involved in the install, can't even imagine attempting this at home lying on my back. Plus, you need to be able to weld Stainless Steel.

I like the idea of a switchable exhaust, but why not just divert the exhaust into a straight pipe? I wouldn't mind having mine sound like this on demand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=070upGnURE8

21. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Funny that completely reminds me of the headers I had swapped on my Impreza. I paid the guy like $150 and he went through $300 of tools trying to get them off. Openly said he lost money on all the broken dremel bits. I didn't realize that the Kleemann headers needed to be welded though. No DIY task on that one.

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Yeah the installers didn't like the triple-bolted clamp joint between the header and downpipe (tough to get a good seal), nor the butt-welded joint between the exhaust and downpipe. But the quality of the headers themselves seems quite high. They've taken on a beautiful blue/gold color after oxidizing over a few heat cycles, shame you can't see them better.

Put together a little vid of the dyno testing here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5s_7qrDH8&lc=z123x10ipxrfujpjt04cclmojpvpidnw1s40k[/ame]

23. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Nice 55.
    I've had a W209 63 cab for a few years. Tune from Jerry, other fun stuff. 22k mile $106k orig msrp.
    Runs wide open all day. I've got blued rotors in front now, maybe a whiff on rear. Fuel tank too small for Texas road trips.
    Great cars, low numbers. Only 241 63 CLK cabs built total worldwide.
    Low numbers on 55 too. Enjoy.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    CLK63 cab... sweet! Post up a pic or 3.

What do you mean by "blued rotors in front"? Overheated?

Yeah I just gassed up. 16 gallon tank doesn't last very long. Good thing premium is only $2.30/gallon.

Driving back to the office after lunch with a colleague yesterday we hit a pretty intense rain cell. Roof open and windows up at 75mph+ only the top of my head, and the upper half of the rear seats got wet. Luckily we made it through to clear skies before having to stop :)

25. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #25 Sfumato, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I cooked the rotors on a biz trip. They don't seem gone nor pads but we'll see.

"There's not enough alcohol or therapy in the world to undo that"- Sterling Archer
    "Entitled is the new black"- Jana