Just shoot me | FerrariChat

Just shoot me

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by douglas360, May 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    I need to thin the herd in the garage (happy wife, happy life situation) and have it narrowed down to 1 of 2 cars - a gated 6 speed 360 Modena or a SLS AMG Gullwing. Both were bought with long term collectability (10+ year time horizon) in mind.

Every day I wake up with a different opinion on this question; it's a real "Sophie's choice" for me. I'm curious to get people's input on which one should get sold and why.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The SLS seems like a very special car and not something MB makes frequently like the run of the mill AMGs. The 360 is one of many great mid-engine V8 Ferraris and will always have a successor you can go into the dealer and buy. I say keep the SLS. Longterm maintenance costs I don't know, but it shouldn't be out of control.

You can always get another mid-engine V8 Ferrari later and probably for less. The Gullwing won't be as replaceable.

The exception to this is the Stradale, but you said you have a gated 360 so it's not one of those.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    IMHO the SLS, looks like a penis. Fast car and it does all the right things, but I just can't get past the look of it, kinda like the SLR. The 360 is a really nice looking machine, although slightly bland. Go with what you like.

4. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Good input, thanks for the opinions. Hadn't really thought about it that way.

SLR is far more penis looking than SLS. :^)

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    drop the modena and keep the gullwing.

or, take your wife out for dinner, give her a gucci purse, a piece of jewelry.....

and keep them both :)

6. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Ok, looks like I'm gonna drop the Modena. Probably be on BaT soon.

Next question, do you think it would pay off to do a couple cosmetic things to it (leather dash wrinkles is the main one) or sell it as-is? If I spend $5k on these items, do you think I'll get the money back on resale?

7. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Cosmetic clean ups make the car sell faster, but not for more.

My 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You're selling a 6 speed 360.

You don't need to do anything to it.