i'm finally a SLR owner | FerrariChat

i'm finally a SLR owner

Discussion in 'Other German' started by GPM, May 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    #1 GPM, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    3604u and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  2. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    Congrats, wish to purchase one myself some day.

3. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Congratulations! That's a very cool car!

4. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Beautiful! In your research did you find any issues with servicing these? I've heard few MB dealers are equipped to service them.

5. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    any medium to large city dealership will have a SLR tech qualified to work on it, the only issue I have is the cost, for example I had to change the instrument cluster to KLMs from miles, the speedometer was $7500.00 plus labour,,,

6. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I have owned a 722 for 10 years, use it as a DD . Great car. Why would you change the cluster, you can reprogram km to miles ?
    Enjoy in good health, beautiful car.

7. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    the analog speedo shows only in miles, will not pass Canadian FED inspection,,

8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Interesting . Are you in Toronto ? If yes, i have a place for you to service the car, not a MB dealer, they are ridiculous with their pricing .

9. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    no, i'm on the west coast, the dealer here seems reasonable so far, the car just passed an A service at Newport Beach Merc so I hoping for little maintenance going forward required,,

10. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    How many miles on it ? I had quite a few issues with the car , all before 40000km except for the alternator needing replacement around 50000km , I was livid . It runs like clockwork now and hopefully my issues were isolated incidents.
    The A service is palatable , the B service is where they nail you , and I mean gouging at the dealer . When the time comes for it , if you still own the car , ask for quotes from reliable shops , it is not rocket science , it is an AMG motor . Dealer will probably quote you somewhere between 14k to 22k , 10k of that in labour .
    I got the exact same work done for 7k

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    that's good to know, car has 5400 miles,,

12. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    I'm actually looking for an SLR right now, what's entailed in the Service B that makes it so expensive? Are plugs and belts done?

13. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    All plugs, filters, belts etc. Engine has to be dropped for the service and MB dealers have a multi tier hourly charge for their customers, AMG cars commanding $300/hr as opposed to the non AMG cars being at $175/hr, at least here in Toronto.
    The special lift is not an issue, the shop that i deal with does not have one and has no problems lifting the car.
    They also throw in a bunch of stuff on the B service that does not necessarily to be done but is in the basket just because MB assumes the SLR owners know squat about cars. For example, alignment of the wheels, for which they charge around $1500 to $2000. One does not need an alignment every time their car goes into service, especially if the tire wear is good and even.

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How can an alignment cost $2K? That is nuts!

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  15. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Anybody have a trustworthy independent that could replace front and rear engine seals on an SLR? Preferably in the Western US.

16. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Sweet Jesus. The B Service on my SLS was an oil change and visual inspection.

17. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    #17 GPM, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    an update, took the SLR on a little trip, Vancouver, Seattle, Missoula, Billings, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Davenport, FT. Wayne IN.,, then up to Winnipeg and back to Vancouver approx. 8000 klm, some may say,, are you nuts? well, probably, however a good friend died recently and I found myself sitting alone in the garage that nite looking at my cars, and I thought why am I keeping the mileage down on the SLR for possible resale or value retention. woke up the wife and said "We are going to Indiana tomorrow, I have too say the trip was mostly uneventful, however the highways and posted 80mph was refreshing after 100klm in most of Canada, in Illinois, I found myself on a beautiful part of hwy#90, a nice swooping valley with nobody around for miles, so I let it go, just for a few seconds, as I approached the crest of the valley, I thought, this is where the Hwy patrol would sit, and sure enough there he was, as I backed off the throttle approaching the top of the valley and before I saw him, I was done, past him at 112mph in what was a 70 zone, I think he swallowed his donut,,needless to say he caught up with me and shadowed me in my blind spot for several miles, which I found strange at the time, then another unit appeared across the divide and he lit me up,, he gave me a break and wrote the ticket for 104mph, he informed me that 105+mph is an automatic arrest, in Illinois, the fine was hefty, suffice it to say the states economy has improved,, i'll say two final things, I've never met a nicer people than those of the central mid-west, and that the roads (besides WA state) were fantastic in comparison to the Canadian Trans Hwy, on another matter, since President Trump owns a SLR, I heard, I was in fear I met get shot, so I stuck to Leno has one instead,, regarding the American Pickers place, the SLR seemed a bigger attraction,,,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ^^^^ nice trip! Illinois thanks you for attempting to balance their budget :)

19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    That's awesome. Glad you're enjoying it.

20. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    On the bright side if you did 112 where you live and got nabbed you would be out a grand and your car for a week. Do you know if you still a aquire points on your license?

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Please... That does not belong here on this board.

thirteendog and ag512bbi like this.
  22. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    not sure, but as you know if there's anyway to get more money they'll try, let you know in a few months if there's any blowback from Illionos, besides. speeding is the last concern for south Chicago,,

23. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    so as usual you don't recognise a joke when you read one, get back in your Honda XL,,

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Trump haters hate guns even more so no such danger for you in SLR.

25. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Cool! Any engine pics?