Need YOUR Help: Wheel problem | FerrariChat

Need YOUR Help: Wheel problem

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rpps, May 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hey there, boys and girls. I am at the end of my rope with my DD so wanted to see if anyone had sagely advice for me.

Long story short, about a year and a half ago I hit a massive pothole on the NJ Turnpike and it bent one of my OZ Ultraleggeras. I run 18x8.5 on my VW Golf to commute in/out of NYC.

While I ran Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the car drove fantastic, they were backordered at the time. Switched to a summer Continental and they're just not even close in terms of performance. That's the least of my problems though.

Ever since the switch the car's wheels/tires have been off balance. After many repeated stops at the tire shop they never seem to be "just right." Last year they were close but still not right. This year I swapped out my winters for the summer set and its back to vibrating from 65-85 and it's driving me insane. Took the car back and some improvement after they had the car for a day but it's still not right. Supposedly another rim was bent so I swapped it out for a repaired one.

So, the $60,000 question: Go to a new tire shop for one last shot or just order an all-new set of four wheels and get it over with?

I just want my car to drive as awesome as it once did.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    First off, let me preface this with the fact that this is what I would do. I would get the car in the air, 9if you cannot do this yourself go to a new shop, one that lets you look at everything they are doing) pull every wheel off, then remove tires. Check each wheel for cracks and bends, and then weigh each wheel without the tire mounted. If all the wheels check out (which is about a 50/50 shot), I would remount the tires and have them high speed balanced. while the car is up on the lift I would check the suspension (go under with a shop light make sure everything looks right on both sides), my assumption is that you hit the pothole with a front wheel (on a FWD car). Once that is done you should know what your problem really is.

3. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Great advice! Thank you for the help!