Hertz DFW Airport Experience | FerrariChat

Hertz DFW Airport Experience

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SAFE4NOW, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Let me set the stage:

I am in the beginning stages of replacing my 2016 Audi S4. I have previously owned other performance 4 door sedans and was re-considering the current model Mercedes C63s

I am a frequent business traveler and use Hertz when I can and am a Gold Member.
    I rarely have any problems when renting a car and consider myself extremely easy going.

99% of the time I set my reservations using the Hertz website and most often pre-pay my rentals for the " best pricing "

Knowing that the Airport locations have a better selection of cars I went online yesterday and looked to see what they had available. Much to my surprise and delight , they have current model C63s for rent at what I considered to be a reasonable daily rate! I made my reservation using my gold membership status online and had a confirmation in hand.

I had a client heading to DFW Airport about the time I was planning on heading there, I also had an evening dinner meeting near DFW Airport , so timing wise everything worked out. I drove the client out to the airport, dropping them off at their gate, and headed to the remote rental car center. FWIW, I am wearing a business suit and consider myself to be clean cut.

For those that are not aware, the remote rental car center is outside the South end of the airport, still on airport grounds, but outside of the terminals. The facility houses all of the various rental car agencies all in one location.

When I arrived, I was dropped off by our driver, and I told him he could go back to the Dealership. I walked inside and through to the Gold Membership board where you normally find your name and the stall for your car. Quick glance, yep there's my name, but where it should have shown the stall number, it instead says " counter ". Inside I go, to find one agent and half a dozen other gold members waiting in line. While in line, for 20 minutes, I am picking up on the agents demeanor ( He did not give a $*#% about any of our situations and had no problem letting each client know ) So, I prepared myself with a smile, my cc, DL, and reservation number ready when it was my turn. The agent brought up my reservation , typed a few seconds, then asked me if I was local. I replied yes. The agent tells me that he cannot rent " Dream Cars " to locals, only members that have a confirmed return flight that corresponds with the rental. The agent added that I would need 4 forms of identification as well... I asked why, the agent said it was Hertz policy. Knowing there was a line behind me, I said thank you and headed to the main rental counter for more answers... after all, I am now stranded....

As I am walking to the main counter, I am reading each and every word on my reservation, looking for this "company policy", the fine print, anything that could have possibly warned me of this before driving all the way out and again, stranding myself. Nope, nada, no where does it say anything about "local renters" or 4 forms of ID, so to the main counter I go.

When I arrive, I see 2+ dozen people in line for what was 5+ agents. I wasn't interested in waiting in that line, so I started looking for the floating agent in the lobby. I asked for a supervisor or manager that may be able to help me. I was directed to a office with a quick point and statement " .....over there, that's where he is.... " I head over, to the mirrored glass office and found it empty. I went back to the floating agent and asked if they could please reach out to the supervisor. They did, telling me that he would be with me in a few minutes. 15-20 minutes later, he walks in , phone to his ear , walking aimlessly around, not making eye contact with me , and ignoring the floating agent who is
    anxiously motioning that I was the one waiting on him. Another 5 minutes goes by, I am still waiting patiently, and I have had plenty of time to prepare my case.

The Supervisor walk from across the room, sizing me up the entire way, and greets me by asking if " I was the guy with a problem with his local rental reservation "... Yes, yes I am, My name is ........ I am the Fixed Operations Director for Ferrari Maserati here in Dallas , I hand him my business card ( he doesn't even look at it and hands it back ) ... I have a pre-paid reservation for a C63s that I was told I cannot rent because I am local.... I also added that I was stranded now, and would really appreciate some help.

He started with the ... " locals cannot " ... to which I asked would he be able to show me where that is stated anywhere in my reservation... he said no, he didn't have to. He quickly added that I would have had to have a departing reservation anyways... to which I said GREAT NEWS... I actually HAVE a departing reservation from DFW Airport , Friday night , which is another reason I was renting from this location... I showed him my reservation he said ok, so where is the arrival flight information?? Um, I just told you that I am local ... so no, no arrival flight.

He tells me again, he is not renting me the car and starts to walk off... I walk with him reminding him, that I have already PAID for the rental, there were no stipulations when Hertz accepted my money, all I wanted to was to leave with the car I had paid for.
    I asked for help ( again ) understanding this policy, to which he said that he did not have time to go through all of Hertz P&P for me and would not do it.. I continued to plead my case and he threw in that there was nothing I could do about it... it was at this point he told me to leave the facility or he would call the Police... great... next viral video here we come... I asked for his business card, he said no.... I asked his name... he refused to provide it... I finally took a photo of him, so I could at least identify who he was if needed.

I am worked up, I invited him to call the rental car police, airport police, even the actual police, that I would be waiting right there... pointing to a seating area by the entrance. He laughed and walked away. None ever arrived and he disappeared as well....

I made an attempt to reach out to the local office that we use for client rentals at work. Since it was after hours, there was no one answering, which I expected. I contacted AMEX to stop the charges when they hit, and began pacing. I walked through Enterprise in the hopes that had C63 for rent ( nope) got all the way down to Sixt , they had several S-Class, for less than Hertz was going to charge for the C63... but I am not looking to buy a S-Class.. then it set in... how am I getting home , at 6:30pm , in the middle of no-where... taxi, limo, Uber... ? Grrrrr rent a car.. Nope.

Uber it is... $75.00 later I'm home!

Maybe I should have just gone online and entered another reservation, this time entering flight information for arrival and departure, and just hope they didn't ask to confirm...

I spent some time today, looking everywhere I could, I just cannot find anywhere that says a local cannot rent a Dream Car ( or any level of car for that matter ) from DFW Airport....

What does the F-Chat brain trust think I should do? How would you have handled it differently? Any secrets you will share that I could have used?

Anyone on Ferrari Chat work for Hertz?

This post allowed me to vent.. thank you for reading this far down...

S

2. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just checked their website and it looks like you have to provide details about your return flight when you pick up the car.

Enhanced Rental Qualifications | Hertz Dream Cars

This doesn't change the fact that they were rude

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ridiculous!

Four (4) forms of ID? And one of them should include a Passport? Hertz definitely fell down on the job. Are there maybe downtown locations without the return flight proof stipulation? I would also escalate your complaint up the chain.

4. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    #4 Face76, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Steve touch base with Mike Vecchiano, he oversees that location: [email protected] or 972.453.4750

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Twitter seems to work well for escalating things with a lot of companies.
    Probably nothing to be done about their policies but since when is it okay for an employee to threaten a customer with calling the police (assuming you were calm and civil, of course) or to refuse to provide a name or contact information?

PS: seems pretty obvious that the rental process for these dream cars needs to include a link to the terms and a checkbox that says you've read and accepted them.
    http://hertzdreamcars.com/dream-service/car-rental-terms

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Re-read the OP... that didn't happen.

The Poster invited the Hertz manager to call the 'police', not the other way around.

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I wonder what the business logic is behind Hertz's policy not to rent dream cars to local customers?

Why is someone local different than a traveller?

Is it a higher risk of abusing the car?

Or does it somehow change the person's insurance coverage?

And, do they rent regular non-dream-cars to local customers? If yes, then what makes renting a dream car so different?

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Um, nope, not what initially happened. Post managerial threat, the OP suggested he would sit in the lobby and wait, and that the manger could call whatever police he wanted.

D

10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    A colleague recently took a business trip to Minneapolis and rented a C63 from Hertz for a week. They only charged the midsize car rate of $27 a day supposedly because our company recently switched to Hertz and they were instructed to "treat us nicely".

I'll say!

The tires had significantly less tread when he returned it....

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Huh. Look at that. Still says the same thing as the first time I read it. ;-)

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Perhaps because it is logistically more likely that the car is being rented for some specific event or purpose other than just transportation in a nice car?

13. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    If I were the OP, I wouldn't ever do business with Hertz again, and I'd let that branch's regional manager know what happened.

14. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    When you have membership / loyalty programs that give some sort of status to a customer and you treat those customers well they become ambassadors for your brand. They brag about how well they are treated and how many perks they enjoy.
    Then a poorly trained employee comes along and messes that up beyond all recovery and that same customer tells everyone who will listen what a crummy company you are.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  16. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    I agree with the above post. I would be interested to know if this is an employee issue, a branch issue, or a corporate decision (albeit a poor one).

First call to the branch manager.

Second call to the regional manager.

Sometimes employees loose sight of the fact that they serve at the pleasure of the customer.

Perhaps management needs to remind them of this.....
    or give them the opportunity to serve for a DIFFERENT company.

If you can't get satisfaction, then send them a financial message and give another company a shot.

If you are in a position to influence your corporate rentals, I would suggest doing so.

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Unfortunately a lot of companies are so large and so disjointed that it's very hard to enforce things up and down the chain. In particular some of the worst experiences I've had have been with companies that use sub-contractors and staffing companies.
    1. Comcast. Installers are often subs and are horrible. Will lie to your face and have little or no fear of repercussions.
    2. United Airlines - who outsource terminal services to AirServe. Again, horrible. Will tell you straight out that you can talk to their supervisor but that they won't get in any trouble. Have NO IDEA that they are in a customer service position and couldn't care less what you think about anything.

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    After our recent trip to Italy I vow to never rent from Hertz again. It took 3 hours to get our car when we landed in Milan. There were 60 people ahead of us in line waiting to get their cars. Only 1 or 2 people working the counter at a time. And employees pacing around or constantly going on break.

It took us 45 min to return the car at the end of the trip. The employee didn't know what to do with the paperwork and kept having to get other employees to help him. The amount of time wasted and stress that was added was not worth it.

19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #19 SAFE4NOW, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Thank you for the link, it seems in my fog, I over looked that link all together.

I accept that I was obviously in the wrong.

Not to be mistaken that I agree... as I was still allowed to book reservation, using my status, so Hertz knew who I was and where I was based, so as the client, I was not made aware until I was on location. How hard would it be to program something into the reservation system that at minimum throws up a warning box stating the policy or how about not allow the reservation to go through at all?

But here is the rub, I feel that I could met each of the listed requirements, up to and including having a return flight for the day that I was returning the rental car. What are the chances of that, right...lol... ?

1. A valid United States or foreign country issued driver license - CHECK

2. A valid credit card, with sufficient credit available, embossed with the same name as the driver license; DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED as a FOP (Form of Payment);- CHECK

3. An additional credit or debit card embossed with the same name as the driver license.- CHECK

4. One (1) of the following forms of government issued ID, in the same name as the driver license & credit card:
    • Passport - United States or Foreign Country Issued - CHECK

NOTE: If a form of government issued ID is not presented, Hertz may consider the acceptance of an alternate non-government form of ID. Acceptability will be determined when the ID is presented at the time of rental. Hertz reserves the right to reject the ID as acceptable for qualification at its sole discretion and without explanation. If Hertz management rejects the ID, an alternate vehicle model will be offered for rental (pending standard rental qualification). An example of ID the Manager may accept includes a photo store member card (Costco, Sam's, etc.), a photo employee ID card, etc.

By the way... I was never offered an alt level of rental, not even suggested... Maybe I should have asked, but that would have defeated the whole reason I was there... why rent a Toyota?

5. A return airline ticket or itinerary in the same name as the driver's license. If the customer does not have a paper copy, the manager will ask the customer to email a copy (e-ticket or itinerary is acceptable), for Hertz record to accompany the above forms of identification.- CHECK - I have a trip leaving today from DFW Airport to Italy... so that counts.

I do NOT however see anything that in their policy says I have to show proof of ARRIVAL flight... am I missing it?

So , I am back to where I started , show me where is says I , as a local resident, cannot rent a dream car? Don't I meet the above requirements?

Thank you, I will.

1. Branch Manager was the one I was working with, so no hope there.
    2. Regional Manager - In motion now
    3. I truly feel this is the issue this time around.. as I have not had bad service in the last 12+ years of using Hertz around the world.
    4. Agreed
    5. I am in the position to chose who the department uses for cars... and for now, Enterprise will be that company. Not that it's a lot of cars, but at any given time I have 30 +cars out on our dime. I have to consider that I am now hurting my branch because of something another branch did. When asked, and I will be , I will use it as an opportunity to explain and maybe get the right persons attention.

S

20. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    Given that you have approximately 30 cars on rent, I would think that you should be considered a highly valued corporate customer.

Perhaps a letter to the head of customer relations at Hertz, written on corporate stationary would make them aware of this issue and allow them to solve the problem.

If not, I know you will solve the problem.....

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I never, ever rent any cars from airport outfits in Europe, Hertz, Avis or anyone else.
    I book them from Elite (Swiss based company), great choice of cars and they meet me at the curb.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Will keep that in mind for next time. One of the reasons we went with Hertz is that we were picking up in Milan and dropping off in Rome. Every other company seemed to have their **** together except Hertz.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mediocrity.

It's the new excellent.

24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #24 PureEuroM3, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Steve,

This whole fiasco is a little confusing but here is what I make of it. Let me know your thoughts and parts where I may be a little off.

The Main Issue or Cause: The Rental of a Dream Car with regards to Flight Details. You did not have a flight and the rules said you need one. This is a VERY stupid rule IMO but It's a rule. Therefore I guess this one is on you. I can't stress enough that this rule is very stupid...

The Other Items "Not Renting to Locals": I need some help here. The rule says a RETURN ticket. Why a return? Let's say I am a local. I fly out Monday and back home Friday. I fly out again next week on Monday and back home Friday. Are they saying that I would NOT be able to rent a vehicle when I land on Week 1 Friday and return it Monday with a ticket out? Even though someone who flies from out of town on Friday and returns home Monday can? Now I saw that this was the case for you is that right? You had an outbound flight correct?

The rest is clearly a mix of bad service and frustration. I know that because I have been in the same boat. This kind of service sucks but when you are a top tier member it REALLY grinds you down. To give you an idea I have 100 Rental Days with National already this year...

What would I have done different...nothing really. The whole issue occurred via a fine print detail that, IMO, none of us would have seen. In addition this whole item is not clear. Like you said I do not see "local" as a stipulation. The manager was clearly being a loser...who does he think he is not giving his name or business card. You are a rental car manager and it's quite obvious who you are once we contact the company, file a complaint with the date and time.

How would I address it...E-mail AND contact them via phone. Items you will want for sure. Reservation information, your membership number, date/time of reservation, how many days you have rented from them, and a calm voice. Not emphasizing the not renting you a vehicle but focus on the bad service, wait times, not offering another vehicle, stating items like "can't rent to local", being stranded, manager not offering his/her credentials, and the obvious fact that they have A LOT of competitors. The e-mail I would do first so that you can type out the items in order as they occurred and stressed the parts above. If you really want to pursue the issue call them after you send the e-mail using the e-mail as a "wordscript" almost.

I hope that helps. I feel for you on this as about two weeks ago I asked a rental manager about taking a "premium car". He told me it would be $XX a day to which I asked if there is anything he can do for me. He said he cannot. I very rarely ask for complimentary upgrades or even premium vehicles because normally I get a nice one. But when I have rented 85 days with the company I thought I would get a little something. That's life!

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would be THRILLED if I got mediocrity in most customer service interactions. I just had a hair pulling set of exchanges with Amazon over a missing shipment. Who knew that "prime" doesn't really mean guaranteed 2 day service, it just means they'll give it their best shot, and when they fail, they'll toss you a bone (in my instance a 15% discount) on the order and tell you to have a nice day, WITHOUT EVER TELLING YOU WHEN THE ORDER WILL SHIP OR ARRIVE!!!

Most companies took the "service" out years ago and replaced it with "frustration." The quaint notion that the person spending money in your establishment or with your company is actually a customer that makes your company relevant is for most companies, passé.

This incident is just a symptom of a larger, business-wide problem.

D

D