The New 8 series | FerrariChat

The New 8 series

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Roth, Jun 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I have a few BMW in the present. Owned many more in the past and driven a lot more since then from the 3 series to the 8 series. Every model in between new, old and different M badged ones. They differ in engine power and sophistication but they all share a common denominator; nimble suspension system and precision steering. Your butt won't feel every bump in the road but the steering wheel reports to your hands the type of road you're on. You know how hard to corner that curve and when to let down. The statement, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is not an over statement. Believe if you can, my old 8 series suspension and steering feel is superior than my 355 F1. For me, no brand can replace a BMW as a daily driver in any class.

Twenty years later, the long anticipated 8 is back. I have no doubt the new 8 is superior than its predecessor in engine power, sophistication and overall performance. But sadly through my eyes, the exterior styling, proportion and symmetry in photos fail to generate a thousand words. I am disappointed. The side view resemble a Ford Mustang. The front end has too much going on. It's bulky from the back like a Z4. No trunk line like all new cars the roof tapers all the way down to the back. A case of aerodynamic winning over proportion. Overall it is too round. BMW guys out there, we won't see a third generation 8 series thirty years from now. Sadly for most of us, our driver license will be taken away by then. :(

What's you take?

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm afraid that no one will be allowed to drive in 30 years.

3. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    I'm not a BMW guy and put a deposit on the M version.

Love the looks

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I also think it looks pretty stunning. Far prettier than the 8 series from the 90's.

5. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Overall, I find it a bit...lame.

The entire design is rather mixed. It's a mix of Aston Martin Vanquish meets Ford Mustang, and that's not a compliment. Even worse is the super dull interior.

The current-gen M6 is more intriguing/daring.

Seems like a missed opportunity to me. BMW could have done something daring and game changing like the first, and only, 8-Series. Instead they went milquetoast.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Having had various bmws and still have my e46 m3 with 20k miles personally I think BMW completely lost the plot a decade ago. New bmws are isolated over filtered to plain suck to drive. From what techs tell me they are poorly engineered and not durable. I have no reason to believe that the new 8 series is any better, but here's hoping.

The styling the8 series seems meh derivative with various pieces of what others are doing.

Grill aside I think the new Lexus lv500 is a far more appealing machine.

Reality Mercedes which used to be a well built stodgy car went all crap in the late 99s and spent a decade getting its reputation back. The newer Mervis are spotty like bmws used to be and are certainly better built than new bmws.

Frankly after being in some new bmws I can't think of one I'd like to drive let alone buy.

7. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    You guys pretty much summed up my sentiment. The 8 of the 90's is very distinct. It placed BMW on the map of automotive design excellent. Now the border blurs between "me too" and "I also" resembling every snap crackle and pop cars out there. It should have been a 7.5 or a 9. Calling it an 8 is like the 90's boys band making a come back (bye bye bye). Brittany Spear on tour again two decades later (oops I did it again). BMW enthusiasts, I'm afraid we just got rick rolled. I will have to give this one up. :(