Guys with pickup trucks that never haul anything. | FerrariChat

Guys with pickup trucks that never haul anything.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TeamF1Jr, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Not sure if it's the case in your neck of the woods, but my observations are there is a rather large contingent of guys who own pick up trucks and rarely haul anything. Now certainly there are guys that are in construction, landscaping...etc. that legitimately use them as they were designed, but I think there is a large contingent of guys that own them just to portray themselves as some sort of "man's man." Don't get me wrong, I'll all for buying what you like, I'm just making an observation, but for the few times these guys haul a few bags of mulch or use the bed to haul groceries, what's the point?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I get you. For many, it's a statement, not unlike driving a Ferrari. My wife's DD is a pickup truck. I feel better given the humongous size of trucks and SUVs on the roads here, the inattentive drivers, etc. that she's in something big. To be honest, I'm trying to convince her she needs a F350 dually with "cattle catcher" for her next DD...T

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think you are right about PUs it does present a certain image, especially the ones that are all jacked raised for off-roading, usually you need a latter to get into the cab. I suspect that most never been near the dirt. But that said guys and their cars it just depends what you are into..

I know a few CPA who don't own a ranch and have 6000 + lb trucks just for the right off and use them for their DD. They need that truck to haul around their heavy lap top computer when they go out to their construction clients jobsites. LOL

4. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I disagree with you. Trucks offer an amazing amount of goodies for far less money than high end cars. Can you take a guess what the #1 selling luxury vehicle is? BMW or MB? Nope, it's the Ford F-150. Until you've owned and driven a high end truck you'll never appreciate how useful and practical they are. Also they have pretty good resale value whereas most high end vehicles have pretty bad resale value.
    Most popular luxe vehicle is...The Ford F-Series?

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    My pickup is the only sedan I own. And the bed is useful from time to time. It's just an added capacity.

How often do guys with 160 MPH cars use that capacity? Or is it just a "look at me" image thing while they do the same 50 MPH in traffic? Same thing.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a Chevy avalanche and while I don't use it often it is handy to have around for the occasional haul. I also drive to construction job sites in it as it doesn't elicit negative attention.

7. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    A truck always comes in handy. No matter what, there are times you need one. So you're either the guy who keeps a truck around or the guy always bugging someone to borrow their truck. You get to pick which one you are. We raced motocross, so always had a truck. Now we have a big SUV and enclosed trailer. Either way, I'm not bothering people when I need to take a bike for service or get my Christmas decor out of storage.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Who knows what they do with it on the weekend - around here it seems like almost every driveway has a boat or travel trailer in it.

I've had a truck since I've had a house. It does home depot, Lowes and dump runs, and tows my airstream 7 or 8 times a year. I've used it as a commuter when between vehicles or when one was under repair before and it's comfortable with a nice Bose stereo. Fuel mileage sucks, but even feeding it gas is cheaper than another car, so I can definitely see why some just use a truck as a dd.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    basically. if we all drove exactly what we needed to maximize efficiency, we'd all be driving hatchback Civics. what fun would that be...

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yep.

The OPs question is the basically the same question I got when I had my truck because it was lowered. Or was told it was worthless and couldn't haul anything. Which was people with no clue.

The guy that had it before me towed his boat every weekend with it. I hauled hundreds of thousands of envelopes (in boxes) in the bed when I worked for my Dad, a 4-wheeler, and random other **** when needed.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think my favorite "non-hauling" truck is overall my favorite type of truck...a prerunner. I'm talking about the ones based off newer trucks with everything custom made (including frame) except for the cab itself. Seeing those jump with ease looks like a ton of fun...Kibbetech makes a lot of cool ones.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'd rather have a van than a truck. I'd rather have a big SUV with a trailer than a van. I'd rather have a sports car than a Big SUV with a trailer. There's always U-Haul when you need to haul something.

And, yes, I live in Texas.

13. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I have a Ford Raptor and have it for a number of reasons:

1) it's a bad truck
    2) I use it occasionally to haul stuff, mountain bike gear, and it fits 5 comfortably
    3) I have always wanted one
    4) has more creature comforts than some "luxury cars"

14. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hauling stuff from Home Depot in my 4 door Jeep is a pain. I will buy another truck even though I don't care for them. Will it get used? Maybe 3 or 4 times a year for it's intended purpose.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Dang straight. King Ranch Ford truck probably has more creature comforts than most Ferrari.
    And a lot more places to get most brands of pickup truck serviced if it poops out on you. Try getting a Ferrari serviced in Dalhart, Texas.
    T

16. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #16 Hoodude, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Henry and Henrietta normally stay on the third bedroom bed but with all these family member visits they had to go somewhere else for a while. Henry,the Ford,had an empty bed and went to the gym on occasion,so the big dogs might get an outing too.
    They had to share the space with a stainless steel chimney cap I scored at Habitat for Humanity of all places..but they're nothing if not flexible.
    I get a lot of smiles and up thumbs went we head out.
    Cheers RE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Some country and western girls will only date a guy with a diesel pick-up truck.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I want a big fat honkin Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up limited. Those things are jammed to the teeth. Leather, nav, inverter, rino liner bed, etc. gorgoues interor, air suspension, trailer brake..all factory installed. 70k here in Canada, but damn. What a truck.

19. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    After trying to buy a few large items at Home Depot a few months back I thought it might be a good time to get a pickup. I checked out the mid-size Canyon/Colorado and the full-size Silverado and F150. I found them all too large and cumbersome to drive and manuever in parking lots. Forget putting them in a garage. I'll just pay for delivery on those rare occurances. Our X5's 450 HP can handle most of the other stuff while still being fun to drive.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Yep. My gal's a Texan, and she'd sell my Ferrari, before we'd sell her truck. Creeping up on 210 K miles, and touch wood, it's still going strong.
    T

21. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I used to own a '90s F-150. I liked the right height, bullet-proof iron V8 engine, 4-wheel driver capability, ability to transport almost anything, and safety.

I especially liked that it was a 5-speed manual. Unfortunately, there are virtually no more MT trucks.

However, having an occasional truck is now a bad idea. In addition to the extra insurance and maintenance, you now compete with hardware stores that will let you rent their own for cheap to take large stuff home, such as Home Depot.

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I never got the pickup truck thing myself I had to have one for the last 15 years to haul my snowmobile but I recently got out of the sport and traded my truck in last year for a car and I don't regret it for a minute.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #23 rob lay, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Nice!
    Rob, is that what you use to tow your race trailer?
    T

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, we also have 2001 Tundra too which we bought new and took care of me 2000-2011 all those years racing SRX7, RX8, and Challenge. Now tractors instead of race cars. :)