How is VW reliability today? | FerrariChat

How is VW reliability today?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by vinuneuro, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    GTI and Golf R are such perfect DD's but I am terrified of the reliability. How much of it is perception issue from the past and how much is it still an issue? I'm wondering what MK7 generation reliability is like. Normally I go for used cars but things are so slow with VW right now you can get serious $$ off on new GTI's. Golf R's probably still sell at msrp.

2. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Currently I am driving a '10 Jetta with 103k miles and I have two other family members, both
    with '14 Jettas. So far I have only had to replace the ignition switch and on Friday, I will have
    the compressor replaced. Other than that, just regular maintenance, which is why the other
    two family members looked to VW's.

3. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Since the Mk4's VW has strived to reclaim their reliability. It seems to be working, we have a lot less issues with the newer cars. The GTI and R are a lot of fun to drive, and great DDs. If you can find some used ones to check, that'll give you an idea of what wears on them.

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Troy, would you bet on the current DSG boxes getting to 200k?

5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Current DD is a Golf R. Solid car overall. Fun commuter. One electrical gremlin so far (after 1 year and about 15K miles) the backup camera only works when it wants to. Neither the dealer, nor VW, has any idea why. Been back 3 times, just had the whole system replaced, and it is still doing it.

Previous experience with a GTI which was flawless.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Had a 2011 Jetta TDI till it got bought back due to the emissions scandal. Only issues I had with it were the radio went out (which I hear is common) and headlight bulbs seemed to only last 6months.

I looked at a GTI as a replacement since they were so heavily discounted. It was a nice car, but I opted for a used 3 series instead.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had a Golf R and it was perfect. I would call it a poor mans M3.

If you are saying Mazda MK7 the new version drive very good the older cars did not impress me at all as a drivers car.

Two months ago I went to look at a Mazda Miata with a freind who was interested buying the car. After driving the car I had to own it.

Best

Lee

8. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I had a friend with a TDi Jetta that got bought back, which he thankfully bought CPO with extended warranty. He had loads of electrical problems, ball joint failure, fuel pump twice, and other issues before it was bought back, I think it had less than 40k on it. Glad to hear others have had better experiences.