Any VW Golf mechanics here? | FerrariChat

Any VW Golf mechanics here?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by PSk, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #1 PSk, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Okay I have some questions if you have the time :)

I have purchased a 1998 VW Golf Mk4 1800cc, for my daughter as her first car. I have replaced the whole automatic transmission/diff transaxle with one from a wrecked car because the my cars original diff was toast due to what appears to be a cracked casing causing oil loss. Other than horrid diff noises this car drove well and if the odometer is to be believed has traveled only 130,000 km's. The excellent condition of the seats and other areas of the car make me think that this is valid.

To replaced the transaxle I had to disconnect and remove the battery and all the wiring plugs connected to the transaxle and starter. The transaxle swap has been completed and I have taken a short test drive. I have the following issues:

1. At around 2000 to 3000 rpm the engine oil symbol flashes and beeps. This did not happen before I pulled the transaxle. I have had the sump off to get at the flex plate nuts and did not note anything blocking or otherwise impeding the oil pick up, and obviously put new oil in and replaced the filter.

2. Also on the test drive if I accelerate and the revs get high-ish the transmission slips (I think) and the engine revs flair. This could be because my replacement transmission is worn, but I have also read that the transmission is sort of intelligent and learns how the driver drives. Now of course I have a different transmission and I've read that the computer might need to relearn or be reset. To clear/reset the computer I've read that you need to turn the ignition on, but not start the engine, and press the accelerator to the floor. I have done my best to confirm the oil level is correct and pretty sure it is now right. Note the oil in my original transmission did not look or smell good, and I reused the original torque converter without draining it of oil, but I have since the road test drained some of the transmission oil and put in fresh oil. The oil in the replacement transmission looked and smelt good. Part of the deal for the replacement transmission was that I could not have the torque converter unless I paid heaps more. I also have ensured the separate diff area has the correct oil ... and pleased that everything was quiet on the test drive :)

I have not test driven it again as I need to solve the oil pressure issue.

I have read that it could be oil pickup, stuffed camshaft(s) ... usual engine wear problems, but the engine is as quiet as mouse. It of course could be the oil pressure sensor, and I've also read that:
    - the engine speed sensor can cause exactly the same symptoms,
    - earth connection issues,
    - maybe related to disconnecting the battery. Is there a proper way to reconnect it up again?
    - maybe I've damaged a wire??

Any ideas and knowledge about these cars and this area would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Pete

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #2 PSk, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    I have solved the oil pressure warning issue, by:

1. Pressing the accelerator to the floor with only the ignition on. This is supposed to reset the automatic transmission "driver learnt" settings.

2. I pulled a couple of wiring plugs apart on top of the transmission as I wanted to confirm the multi-pin one was connected properly. Confirmed. I had to pull the other plug off to get this multi-pin one off, ie. to get my hand around it.

3. I located the oil pressure sensor and confirmed that the wire was connected properly.

4. I cleared the "Inspection required" and "Service required" warnings.

I do not believe there ever was an oil pressure issue, but instead I was getting error codes that if I had a proper diagnosis computer I would know the exact issue.

Unfortunately the transmission still slips, so will have to pull the plates out of the other transmission and transplant. Bit of a pain as not the easiest transmission to remove, but I've discovered it is easy to remove the suspension sub-frame (leaving steering rack behind) and this gives you a lot more room, and means you to do not have to rotate the diff up. Much better.
    Pete

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I know nothing about the trans on these cars but I have found lots of good information on other Golf issues over on vwvortex.com.
    My daughter has one and we've had our fair share of problems, mostly electrical.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks.

Pete

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm sorry to say, but the first mistake you made was buying an VW. The second mistake you made is allowing your daughter to drive such an unreliable product.

Tow the thing to the scrap yard and buy her a Honda or Toyota. I hate to be blunt, but the VW is not the right car for her, or anybody for that matter. Save yourself some serious and expensive headaches (and that 2 o'clock in the morning phone call that she is stuck on the side of the road).

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I hear you. It can always be sold ;)

Pete

7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Odd. Now I'm no fan of VW's such, though VW encompass Audi, Porsche, Seat, Soda and of course VW.
    They're not considered unreliable here in the UK, no more so than Mercedes or BMW anyway.
    I agree that Japanese cars are the most reliable though, followed closely now by Korean.

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Horrendous customer service backed up with FCA quality standards. Who wouldn' t want an R ? It's a shame Kia reliability couldn't be donated as the cars are a superior drive, but Consumers Reports have it nailed down on VWs. A shame.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    VW are just plain **** boxes. No other words available. I can't understand even remotely why they are still in business. Junk with a capital K. Old time VW were really good cars. Anything after 2000 is complete trash.